Author Topic: More Bad News  (Read 4575 times)

Offline yj-mike

• Rock Crawler
More Bad News
« on: May 22, 2007, 07:11:04 AM »
Found this over on JF:

DURBIN TO REINTRODUCE BILL TO PROTECT AMERICA'S RED ROCK WILDERNESS

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

[WASHINGTON, D.C.] - U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) said today that he will introduce legislation in the Senate this week to protect America's Red Rock Wilderness, approximately 9.4 million acres of spectacular and rare wilderness in southern Utah. Currently managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), the agency is not prohibited from selling, leasing or building roads in parts of this publicly held land. An identical bill was introduced in the House by U.S. Representative Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) today.

"Sunday is Earth Day and it is a fitting opportunity for all Americans to rededicate themselves to protecting our nation's natural resources," Durbin said. "I encourage the Senate to do its part as well by supporting the America's Red Rock Wilderness Act, critical legislation that will preserve a national treasure for future generations of Americans."

Durbin's bill would designate 9.4 millions acres in Utah as wilderness under the 1964 Wilderness Act. The bill provides wilderness protection for wildlands, which include steep red rock canyons, enormous arches and towering cliffs with spectacular vistas of unmatched sandstone landscapes. Hidden within this expansive setting are world-renowned archeological sites and habitat for rare plant and animal species. These areas are a haven for those seeking solace in nature, including hikers, backpackers and recreationists.

The lands designated as wilderness in Durbin and Hinchey's legislation were primarily identified through a detailed and extensive public inventory of BLM lands conducted by volunteers from the Utah Wilderness Coalition. By designating certain areas as wilderness, the bill protects them from new commercial enterprise/development, oil and gas exploration, motorized/mechanized vehicles, and road building. Non-consumptive uses such as hunting, fishing, camping, backpacking, hiking, and horseback riding are permitted under the legislation.

"I believe it is the responsibility of Congress to ensure that these fragile lands of magnificent beauty, which already belong to the public, do not fall victim to oil, gas and mining interests, increased commercial development, and proposals to construct roads, utility lines, and dams. We are the stewards of these creations and our legislation will help achieve this important goal," Durbin concluded.

Contact Senator Durbin:
http://durbin.senate.gov/contact.cfm#contact

For those planning on going to MOAB next year, you may want to track this issue.
Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases.

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

Offline TJ

• Rock Crawler
  • I got your jeep thing now it hurts when I pee !
Re: More Bad News
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 06:10:19 AM »
SO WHAT HAPPENED
The only difference between a rut and a grave is time you spend there

IF IT'S GOT TITS OR TIRES IT'S GON'A GIVE TROUBLE

Opinions are like ass holes everyone has one and most of them stink,

Online Gorilla_Skater

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 07:58:22 AM »
I contacted Red Rock 4 Wheelers. This is not something new. It's been going on for years. We will have to keep tabs on things as October 2008 approaches.

Here is the email and the response:

This is a continuation of a problem that has been going on for 30 years. The
east coast legislators, your area, are bribed to support these kinds of
bills to declare the west "wilderness". We actively fight these efforts and
don't think that anything will happen before your visit in 2008. For more
info you can visit the Blue Ribbon Coalition web site for more info. You can
find the link on our site under "Responsible Recreational Four Wheeling."
----- Original Message -----
To: ;
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 9:37 AM
Subject: RR4W.com - Web Contact

about: Trail Information
comments: Hi,

My name is Rey Rasco. I am a member of NEJeep which is a Jeep club in
Connecticut. Our club is planning a trip to Moab in October 2008.

We're concerned about the things we've been reading about declaring 9.4
million acres of Red Rock as wilderness and closing them off to
"motorized/mechanized" vehicles. Can you tell me if this Bill will impact
the future use of the Moab 4wd trails for Jeeps?

Thanks,

Rey Rasco
www.NEJeep.org
860-680-2330

email: reyrasco@sprintpcs.com
name: Rey Rasco
phone_no: 860-680-2330
1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0L V10 Tow Rig

"If you're going to be a smart ass, first make sure you're smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass"

Offline Abrasion Sleeve

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 08:59:57 AM »
FREAKING TURBIN DURBIN! :swear_mad:
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Offline Groundhog

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • "Stand Up, Speak Out & Shoot Back!"
    • http://www.aardvarkaudiodj.com
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 10:52:40 PM »
You all know my response. Keep voting for the Dems!!! These guys are unbelieveable.

"There is a deep laid plot against your civil & religious liberties. Your golden days are at an end. My heart bleeds for you, America."
- George Whitfield, 1714-1770

Offline The Navy Commander

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • Shaq City is the place to rock. Semper Fi diddy
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 09:32:16 AM »
You all know my response. Keep voting for the Dems!!! These guys are unbelieveable.

Yeah, What he said, Oh and by the way yesterday, Nancy and her tribe have voted for the 6th time to pull outta Iraq....F'ing Unbelieveable.
Superwinch EPi 9.0 Detours Custom Bumpers/Dropkicks, 3.5" RE Superflex Lift, 1" Daystar Body Lift, 15" Cragar Street Lock D, 33" Dick Cepek Crushers,
Solid Axle Diff Covers, Jeep Medic Belly Up Transmission/Engine Skid Plate Combo, Other Kirby+Skid Row stuff

Blessed are those who, in the face of death, concern themselves only with the front sight post...

Online beaker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • chillin and grillin
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 12:43:42 PM »
The people who put them in office want them do do something so they just pull those votes so they can say they are doing something (even when they are just wasting tax payer money).

They seem to forget that we need to look forward not backwards when determining what to do in iraq.  It's not like we should stay there for 30 years but pulling out too soon is equally irresponsible.

They sound like a bunch of back seat drivers who can't see the road.
"Abe Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal." Unknown

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin Franklin

Sean

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 01:25:57 PM »
Funny- I was recently out in Arizona (Scottsdale) and rented a Jeep to drive up to Sedona. Sedona is a totally tourist-ey area and 1/2 of the tourist stuff is Jeep tours. They can go EVERYWHERE- no real problems with trail closures and such. I only mention this because Red Rocks- well, Red Rocks in AZ is Sedona...

But Jeeps and trails do great out there because tourism is intertwined. They won't touch it because it'll hurt tourism. So get tourism built into 'wheelin and you'll protect our interest.

Offline Groundhog

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • "Stand Up, Speak Out & Shoot Back!"
    • http://www.aardvarkaudiodj.com
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 03:50:54 PM »
Our biggest enemy is the select few who can't enjoy the environment responsibly. It only takes one a-hole to ruin it for evryone by bringing national attention to a touchy subject when they do something stupid - case in point, the latest mall shooting.

This guy gives all those on the fence about gun ownership a BIG push to the left.

Also, another point about dumb moves that ruin recreational activities - I was cut off at an intersection, right in front of the prison, as I was leaving work this afternoon -

by a SNOWMOBILE!

I could have killed him or him me. It was the middle of shift change and the roads were packed with corrections officers coming and going.

And Durbin is still and always will be an A-Hole.
"There is a deep laid plot against your civil & religious liberties. Your golden days are at an end. My heart bleeds for you, America."
- George Whitfield, 1714-1770