Author Topic: Nepaug Forest, New hartford Ct  (Read 8531 times)

Offline FF08JK

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
Nepaug Forest, New hartford Ct
« on: December 01, 2008, 08:46:32 PM »
Anyone know if it is legal to drive in Nepaug Forest in New Hartford, Ct off of 202 or 44 on Satan's Kingdom Rd?
I've mountain biked in there in the past and I recall seeing several gates, but it's been a while.
I also saw recent pictures of someone in there w/ a JK over Thanksgiving.
I'm going to mountain bike there tomorrow AM, but I'd like to know officially if it is OK to drive in there.

Thanks

08 4dr JK YC, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, auto, 5:38s, ProRock 44 w/RCVs, ARBs F/R, 35 spline F/R axles, Shrockwork sliders, Clayton skids, Clayton 3.5" LA lift, Expedition One rear bumper/tire carrier, Tom Woods front/rear DSs, Smittybuilt XRC 10 winch, Mr Fister Fab front bumper, VIAIR OBA w/ air tank bumper, Or-Fab front cage, Mastercraft Baja RS seats

Offline XJRV-Maki

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • salt no carry
Re: Nepaug Forest, New hartford Ct
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 10:19:13 PM »
I believe the very northern 1/4 mile of SKR is a town road but after that it is a state forest road and is gated. Even if the gates are open, be careful about entering, that may just be to allow access for hunters or even a DEP in there driving around. Best bet is to call the SF Ranger and ask, that's the most official you'll get.

I think that was the road where a kid in an XJ died a few years ago. Hit a tree at speed at night.  :neutral:

Offline pyagid

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:49:44 PM »
Bic you are correct about the Kid who died up there.

I have heard they are patroling that area a lot more, there are a lot of side cut trails and it is hard to tell what is actually the road, and what is an illegal cut.

I THINK SKR runs all the way through, and may change names in the middle.  and that is the ONLY legal area to be.

-Paul
http://www.mikeysway.org/  <~~~ Friend of the family.  100% of donations are contributed.  All Taxes and fees are pa

CSaddict

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 06:45:00 AM »
I have a friend that used to go up alomst everyday. He would use his winch and pull out the old burned cars and haul them out with his XJ. He never had issues with rangers. He talked with them many times.

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 01:29:22 PM »
   My father (jeep56s) lives 2 miles from Nepaug forest and i am about 5 miles down Rt 202 and grew up wheeling there.  However, only the main roads are open for legal driving.  There are power lines, hill climbs, and a few mud pits that are not blocked off however your supposed to say on the main roads only. 
  The M.D.C. patrols the forest regularly especially on the weekends.  If you decide to go off the main roads remember what trails you took, it is very easy to get mixed up and end up on the wrong side of a gate with no way to exit.(or that is what they tell me... :rolleyes:)
       Corey
You can get a Hummer in a Jeep, but you can't get a Jeep in a Hummer!

97 TJ -Clayton Long Arm, 4.56gears, 9" rear/44 Front, Locked F/R, 36" Swampers, Beadlocks, One Ton Steering, full F/R cage and full skids

WIP: CJ Buggy:  V8, 14/60, 5.13's, Locked F/R.  Not sure what else will end up in it

89YJ, 4cyl, Waggy 44's, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers F/R, 37in MTR's, Beadlocks, Full Cage and tubed out front.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Offline pyagid

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 02:21:56 PM »
   My father (jeep56s) lives 2 miles from Nepaug forest and i am about 5 miles down Rt 202 and grew up wheeling there.  However, only the main roads are open for legal driving.  There are power lines, hill climbs, and a few mud pits that are not blocked off however your supposed to say on the main roads only. 
  The M.D.C. patrols the forest regularly especially on the weekends.  If you decide to go off the main roads remember what trails you took, it is very easy to get mixed up and end up on the wrong side of a gate with no way to exit.(or that is what they tell me... :rolleyes:)
       Corey

That is what we try to avoid.  Illegal wheeling, it goes against the land use fighting, and keeping land we do have Legal.  Any illegal use is used against us which is leading to more and more trail closures.

Stay on the roads.  If you dont know where they are, get a Map, GPS, or stay out

-Paul
http://www.mikeysway.org/  <~~~ Friend of the family.  100% of donations are contributed.  All Taxes and fees are pa

Offline pyagid

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 02:31:57 PM »
is this what started your question here?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6088003

Offline FF08JK

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 04:15:32 PM »
Nope that was not the post that prompted my question.
It was of a guy who had taken pics of his JK in Nepaug on JK-Forum.

I rode my mountain bike all over Nepaug today.
Satan's Kingdom Rd does infact go all the way through from 202 to 44.
It is gated at 202 and just after the pavement ends from 44.
It is really rough in some sections.
I also rode down River rd that heads SE along Farmington River
to the Nursery just off of 202 near Saybrook Fish house.
I saw recent tire tracks on the roads, and I saw two vehicle parked a ways in from 202.
I'm guessing they were hunters, never saw anyone.
On my way out I saw another mtber and a jogger and his dog both in blaze orange.

I totally understand the legality issues.  As a mtber I face the same issues of trail access,
illegal trail building, etc.  Until we were disbanded due to MDC union issues;
I was part of of volunteer mtb patrol for the MDC properties.
Think of the ski patrol and that's what we did.

This is why I asked if anyone knew if it was OK to drive in Nepaug.
I know how a few idiots can ruin it for everyone else.
The volunteer bike patrol was an effort to self-police mtbers to keep certain MDC property
open to mtbing.

And all of the gates had DEP stickers and signs at main entrance areas saying
area closes at sunset.

And yes it is easy to get turned around in there.  I did rediscover a few trails I have ridden
in the past and some new ones that were built up with jumps etc.

Thanks for the info.
08 4dr JK YC, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, auto, 5:38s, ProRock 44 w/RCVs, ARBs F/R, 35 spline F/R axles, Shrockwork sliders, Clayton skids, Clayton 3.5" LA lift, Expedition One rear bumper/tire carrier, Tom Woods front/rear DSs, Smittybuilt XRC 10 winch, Mr Fister Fab front bumper, VIAIR OBA w/ air tank bumper, Or-Fab front cage, Mastercraft Baja RS seats

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »
       Corey

That is what we try to avoid.  Illegal wheeling, it goes against the land use fighting, and keeping land we do have Legal.  Any illegal use is used against us which is leading to more and more trail closures.

Stay on the roads.  If you dont know where they are, get a Map, GPS, or stay out

-Paul

That is exactly why i joined NEJEEP, so i can go wheeling legally and not have to worry about tickets or ticking anybody off.
-Corey
You can get a Hummer in a Jeep, but you can't get a Jeep in a Hummer!

97 TJ -Clayton Long Arm, 4.56gears, 9" rear/44 Front, Locked F/R, 36" Swampers, Beadlocks, One Ton Steering, full F/R cage and full skids

WIP: CJ Buggy:  V8, 14/60, 5.13's, Locked F/R.  Not sure what else will end up in it

89YJ, 4cyl, Waggy 44's, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers F/R, 37in MTR's, Beadlocks, Full Cage and tubed out front.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,