Author Topic: gutter closed  (Read 3234 times)

Offline bill

• Web Wheeler
gutter closed
« on: February 09, 2010, 07:29:47 PM »
Im following a thread on the NEA site.  Looks like the Gutter is closed for good as of today.

I'm quoting the following from JeepForum. A kid from MA that is new to the scene went wheeling for the first time last weekend at RSG. Here is what he said:

". . . I showed up and watched some 35" super swampers plow new trails through the forest, knocking over good sized trees. He also ripped around in the stream and up the stream banks. At one point they were going to cut down a tree with a chain saw, but the rig came unstuck before they did. Winching with no tree guards/protectors. I dont believe anyone had permission to be here either, it was the first trip here for all of them except one. Most of the others treaded lightly. Made me sick, I dont even want to think about wheeling for a while."

A couple other guys from MA responded:

"And thats why its going to be closing."

"I had heard that it was going to be closed. Is that definite or still up in the air?"

the same guy also took about 12 Jeeps to Facing Rock WMA in Ludlow MA on a run last month...

i have a link. The run was led by a gentleman who has since been banned from several clubs and forums for illegal wheelin.

http://www.massdriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35404

the same guy also took about 12 Jeeps to Facing Rock WMA in Ludlow MA on a run last month

I have read today, that the land was officially turned over to the Mass Wildlife and access is no longer granted from the road or from the Cowls Property. This is something that had been in the works for a few years now, but COWLS was not going to turn it over to the WMA for another 2 years. This little stunt caused them to reconsider and do it sooner.    This is bad news people.  This is a clear case of how a few bad apples trully can spoil a good thing. 

This shows the importance of a few things here: 
#1, staying on the trail system is very very important. Not even important, but vital to the survival of our sport.  If you cant stay on the trail, stay home. If the conditions of the trail, snow/ice/mud whatever, are preventing you from making it, turn around... dont go around.  We were all young and stupid once, I know, trust me. I know that sometimes we ended up places we dont belong.  But those days are over and its caused ill effects on our sport.

#2, The need for private land.  Thats the only future this sport has.  About 5 years ago when I got into the clubs and all this, there are 6-8 public trails that we were allowed to run.  All in the state of Mass, and all fun to run.   Yesterday, there was only 3!   No kidding... 3!   Now today, there are 2! 

#3,  Responsible wheeling!  We have a min requirement for vehicles to go on a trail run.  This prevents people from showing up with chains as a tree saver.  And wanting to cut down trees to make it easier to get a vehicle unstuck.  That jeep was broke even further by these retards when they strapped a chain to it, and slammed the skinny pedal.   From what I am told, him and his Jeep were left behind after it broke....
08 JK (mildly built DD)
02 Liberty( Soon to be next wheeler)

yes,I like rocks...

Offline Greenhorn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: gutter closed
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 09:09:32 PM »
Thanks for posting that one. They took great pictures.
I now have a long list of vehicle descriptions with license plates, and board/screen names.
I will do my best to make sure it will be a cold day in hell before any of them get sponsored in this club.
Maybe I should post that complete list on the members side.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. -Thomas Jefferson

Offline FF08JK

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:55:19 AM »
WOW
I just read through the thread....
Yes nice pictures, use them to the fullest Greenhorn!
08 4dr JK YC, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, auto, 5:38s, ProRock 44 w/RCVs, ARBs F/R, 35 spline F/R axles, Shrockwork sliders, Clayton skids, Clayton 3.5" LA lift, Expedition One rear bumper/tire carrier, Tom Woods front/rear DSs, Smittybuilt XRC 10 winch, Mr Fister Fab front bumper, VIAIR OBA w/ air tank bumper, Or-Fab front cage, Mastercraft Baja RS seats

Offline Lambchop

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:00:40 AM »
I am ashamed to admit it but  those that actually take the time to read that thread can see that I attended that outting. I have already sent out multiple PMs but I felt that I needed to address this on the open forum as well.

As mentioned I attended this meet. The only reason that I know the people that organized this outting is that I have been a member of that car enthusiast forum from when I was big into DSMs. I don't even know real names just forum names. This was my first trip to the gutter and only my 2nd off roading trip that I have ever gone on not including the go topless day event and gajr. As you can see in that thread, there aren't any pics of my jeep from the gutter. The reason for that is I was in the rear of the large group along with Mason (the individual that was quoted earlier in this thread.) While at the gutter we remained parked at the bottom of some long hill after being told that we wouldn't be able to make it up. Only when we got out of our jeeps and walked up the hill to where everyone else was did we see what was happening and the dammage had already been done. I know that I am guilty by association but my tires never touched ground outside an already established trail and for the most part while at the gutter my jeep was parked. I'm not sure if anyone of you knows Mason but he can vouch that I was not involved with any of the issues mentioned. 

I am by no means a young kid. I am 30 years old and  work my ass off as an RN. The reason that I got into this hobby was that I grew tired of the car clubs that I belonged to due to the influx of immature young punks.  I am new to this and made the mistake of thinking that the people I was meeting up with shared the same mindset.

I can not say anything to justify what transpired but just swear that I was not one of the few people of which this issue has come from. I do hope that I can get to meet some of you in person and get the opportunity to pruve the type of person that I really am.

-Justin

Offline Sherwood Fab

• Rock Crawler
  • C'mon... Start...
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 11:43:36 PM »
Love the pictures. How hard is it to stay on the trail and obey rules? I wonder how long it will take before all wheeling in this area is closed to the public. Even the manner in which this problem seemed to be spoken about is just a total mess...speaks volumes as to how they conduct their trail days etc.

RM
91 XJ
87 F350 IDI CC
77 J10 GSA
75 J10
40 Ford 9N

Offline Greenhorn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »

pm sent
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. -Thomas Jefferson

Sean

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 06:08:11 PM »
God damn it....