Northeast Jeep Organization, Inc.
August 23, 2014, 06:25:29 AM *
NEJEEP Logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit Elias 4 Wheel Drive Center for Sales, Service and Installation of quality 4WD parts and accessories.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sqealing belt :( 1997 4.0 jeep GC, plz read if your a mechanic  (Read 718 times)
SearchingForMudd
Mall Crawler

« on: December 05, 2011, 11:18:49 AM »

Hey northeast jeepers. How are you all? I got a issue with my 1997 jeep grandcherokee. Ill start from the beginning, around this time last year i replaced a leaky radiator and serpentine belt, belt was worn and easy access with radiator out so i replaced it while i was in there cause the trucks belt squealed everytime i started it. New belt still squealed replaced alternator squealing only happened if i turned my radio up over 30. (got a kenwood headunit and a 2channel amp that draws alot) so i added a 2.0 farad cap to keep the charging system up over 12volts. Had no issues at all with the noisey belt till i parked the jeep at the end of september,  went to start about 3 weeks ago and battery was dead, charged it up started truck and altenator wasnt working. replaced negative battery cables but broke the stupid tiny studs that the wiring harness attaches to the altenator with. Went to autozone and with a little convincing they refunded it, put the brand new alternator in and adjusted the belt so it has maybe 1/2 of play. now when i start up the belt squeals again. usually stops within 5 min of driving sometimes right when i engage out of park into DRIVE but i notice my voltage is down around 10volts when it squeals so my altenator isnt working? or its slipping on the pulley? even if it stops itll start when i turn my radio up above 30 again. on colder days the sound takes longer to go away and sometimes comes back when im turning, only if its cold though. some people said just spray some belt dressing on it but id really like to know if there is anyway to check the belt for tension.the idler pulley has very minor pitting on it, water pump works fine, ps pump works fine (if sound stops and i turn wheel sitting still it doesnt squeal) it is alittle tighter on the side going from the AC compressor down to the altenator then it is on the top between the ac nd powersteering pump. not much it only moves maybe 1/8th of a inch more. altenator brackets are tight as they get.  sorry if this got too long winded but im trying to cover all the bases, looking for any advice or a shove in the right direction, thanks.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:32:55 AM by gorilla_skater » Logged

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L,Not BigEnough LT 30x9.50r15 for tires, Ranchero RS5000 Shocks,thrush cherry bomb muffler, (yes itll make a 4.0 sound sick) 1600watt x @2ch Amp, 2 diamond audio 15s, 2.0 farad cap, Replacing everything on the truck one part at a time.
MasterDrazhar
Honorary Members
Rock Crawler

'F' with me? I'll STAB YA!

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 11:25:38 AM »

Sounds like the belt isn't tight enough, or you have a bad idler pully maybe?

Profile for Team_Oscar

Quote from: Sweet Cheeks Bitty
Nasty and ill-tempered?  I'll show you nasty and ill-tempered you old pinworm...

Quote from: Theo Maassen
Optimists are badly informed Pessimists.
SearchingForMudd
Mall Crawler

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:51:20 AM »

Thanks for a fast response. cheap fixes are best so a belt adjustment or a idler pulley would be great lol. are there any surefire ways to check the belt tension? i heard if you hold a ruler to it it shouldnt move over 1/2inch not sure if it works on serpentine belts too thought.i cant find the burroghs gauge that the chiltions books calls for. and i dont wanna damage something overtightening. The idler pulley has some minor pitting on it but its smooth to the touch.

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L,Not BigEnough LT 30x9.50r15 for tires, Ranchero RS5000 Shocks,thrush cherry bomb muffler, (yes itll make a 4.0 sound sick) 1600watt x @2ch Amp, 2 diamond audio 15s, 2.0 farad cap, Replacing everything on the truck one part at a time.
clean4drxj
Trail Ready

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:34:32 PM »

You need to tighten it until it stops squealing( a lilbit at a time), get some decent tension on it but do NOT over tighten it, Also try some a tiny bit of belt dressing. If you overtighten your belt you will say bye bye to your waterpump!

96 XJ TNT longarms, 44/9, 5.13's bilsteins awaiting some 35's
 2001 Honda accord DD
beaker
NEJEEP Member
Rock Crawler

chillin and grillin

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 04:21:57 PM »

Try cleaning the back of the belt too.  I've had the belt squeal because I got some antigallant on the back of the belt from a repair.  Some items drive off the back and will squeal like a banshee if you get any oil on them.

"Abe Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal." Unknown

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin Franklin
bill
Web Wheeler

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:02:10 PM »

idler pulley is my guess...

i like rocks..
sedge1080
Board of Directors
Rock Crawler

Got Jeep?

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:14:36 PM »

belt squeal or bearing type squeal? 

You can get a Hummer in a Jeep, but you can't get a Jeep in a Hummer!

97 TJ - 5.5 Clayton Long Arm, 4.56gears, 9inch rear, Waggy 44 Front, Locked F/R, 36in Swampers, Beadlocks, Chevy One Ton Steering, full F/R cage and full skids and a few dings and dents to make it look like I actually wheel it.

89YJ, 4cyl, Waggy 44's, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers F/R, 37in MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, Full Cage and tubed out front.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig
SearchingForMudd
Mall Crawler

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 11:47:50 PM »

belt ended up being way too loose. the more i tightened it the more the sound went away. thanks for everyones suggestions.

CJJosh
NEJEEP Member
Trail Ready

mud,rocks,sand,and snow its whats for dinner...

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 06:55:49 PM »

I just had the same problem with my belt its a quick easy fix.
pyagid
Rock Crawler

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 07:25:03 AM »

why is this a sticky?

http://www.mikeysway.org/  <~~~ Friend of the family.  100% of donations are contributed.  All Taxes and fees are pa
MassXJ
Board of Directors
Rock Crawler

Winston Wolf

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 08:53:09 AM »

why is this a sticky?
why not. Lol

Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

"I will not accept if nominated and will not serve if elected."
beaker
NEJEEP Member
Rock Crawler

chillin and grillin

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 10:49:53 PM »

drunken stickying?

"Abe Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal." Unknown

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin Franklin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: