Author Topic: New guy from Western MA  (Read 11817 times)

Offline 4WheelingAstronomer

  • NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
  • *****
  • Posts: 610
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 01:22:28 PM »
Welcome.  Nice job!
2008 JKU Rubicon
Full Traction 3" Lift, 315/75/16 BFG KM2 MT on ProComp 7069, Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper,Quadratec 9500i winch, Rugged Ridge swaybar disconnect skid plate, Advanced Adaptors transfer case linkage, Rancho oil pan plate, Evo rear d ring mounts, Evo manual swaybar disconnect, RCV front axles, Smittybilt XRC Rock Rails

Equal parts caution and enthusiasm.....

Offline sedge1080

  • NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • *****
  • Posts: 5318
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 02:57:47 PM »
What did it have for gearing?  When I was calling around to places looking for a D44 they were getting a lot of money.  I found sets out of a Scout easy enough, but I wanted a Jeep one to avoid having to shorten it.  When I priced out how much a regear was going to be I decided to just find a set that was already done.  Bought my 4.10 set for 500 bucks.  I couldn't touch a D44, even with 2.73s, for that.  Collins Bro. wanted like 1200 bucks for theirs, haha.  But, they are ridiculous.  

The one I sold to Justin was a 88 XJ D44 rear with stock gearing (I think 3.73)  I'm sure CJ D44's are much harder to find

Think i have a Commando D44, if not i do have a matching set of Waggy D44's with an offset rear(unknown gears, have to check).  If interested PM me and i will see what we have exactly.

The weak link in the AMC 20 is the two piece shafts, upgrade those and you will be set, just about as strong as a D44 (might be the way to go if you already have AMC 20 gears.

   Welcome, glad to see another CJ in the club, my dad has a mint CJ-8, Need any CJ parts, im sure we have them.
You can get a Hummer in a Jeep, but you can't get a Jeep in a Hummer!

97 TJ -Clayton Long Arm, 4.56gears, 9" rear/44 Front, Locked F/R, 36" Swampers, Beadlocks, One Ton Steering, full F/R cage and full skids

WIP: CJ Buggy:  V8, 14/60, 5.13's, Locked F/R.  Not sure what else will end up in it
 
89YJ, 4cyl, Waggy 44's, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers F/R, 37in MTR's, Beadlocks, Full Cage and tubed out front.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Offline diddy2003

  • Mall Crawler
  • *
  • Posts: 122
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 05:01:29 PM »


Think i have a Commando D44, if not i do have a matching set of Waggy D44's with an offset rear(unknown gears, have to check).  If interested PM me and i will see what we have exactly.

The weak link in the AMC 20 is the two piece shafts, upgrade those and you will be set, just about as strong as a D44 (might be the way to go if you already have AMC 20 gears.

   Welcome, glad to see another CJ in the club, my dad has a mint CJ-8, Need any CJ parts, im sure we have them.

Thanks man.  I appreciate it.  I bought a set of axles with 4 .10s back in the fall.  Dana 30/amc 20 rear.  Front has a truetrac installed and the rear has a trac loc.  The guy that sold me the jeep gave me a brand new superior one piece axle kit still in the box.  That is currently being put in the amc 20.  The axles are being refreshed and painted, with the one pieces rigt now.  Should be done this week.  Welding the tubes as well.  I bought the axles for a pretty good price.  500 bucks but I had to go to Scranton PA to get them.  The jeep farm guy said that the set would easily get over 1200 bucks, so it seems like I lucked out.

Thanks for the offer on the Danas.  If I ever go with a 350 and ditch my 258 I will consider bigger axles, or if I want bigger tires.  Thanks for the help.
1984 CJ-7

Offline diddy2003

  • Mall Crawler
  • *
  • Posts: 122
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »
Nice plow dood

Thanks but that is actually the one thing the Jeep's original owner wanted to keep, haha.  I think he ended up putting it on his TJ.
1984 CJ-7

Offline cjshloman

  • NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • *****
  • Posts: 4827
  • Wanna see my totem pole?
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 06:16:08 PM »
Nice plow dood

Thanks but that is actually the one thing the Jeep's original owner wanted to keep, haha.  I think he ended up putting it on his TJ.

BANNED!!!
My girlfriend can't fight, but you should see her box.....


'98 TJ, 3" BDS, 33" TSL Swamper's, lite body armour, plow.......stay tuned...Bull is coming back to the wheeling scene BITCHES!!!!

Offline diddy2003

  • Mall Crawler
  • *
  • Posts: 122
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 04:24:36 PM »
I just found the original ebay listing from when the PO bought the jeep.  From the time he bought it he rebuilt the T-176 and replaced some brake lines I think. 











I replaced all the vacuum lines and did some other stuff along with the stuff I mentioned before.  I love CJs but they are kind of like opening up a can of worms, haha. 
1984 CJ-7

Offline diddy2003

  • Mall Crawler
  • *
  • Posts: 122
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 04:32:03 PM »
Sorry about the pictures size, kind of hard to read.  I don't know how to edit that.  Also, how can I edit my post after submission?  I posted the same info twice in the last post. 
1984 CJ-7

Offline Johny Pornstash

  • Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • *********
  • Posts: 2519
  • Trial and Error...expensive, but never forgotten!
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 08:38:28 PM »
welcome!
PMA - Positive Mental Attitude!

God is great, Beer is good an people are crazy!

Online MassXJ

  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
  • *******
  • Posts: 16850
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 08:56:03 PM »
you may be looking for the modify button
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Offline GrEmLiN

  • Trail Ready
  • **
  • Posts: 473
  • Jeep^2
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 01:26:21 PM »
Normal users can't modify their own posts in this forum.
Don't tell people your problems... 80% of them don't care and the other 20% are glad you have them.

Offline diddy2003

  • Mall Crawler
  • *
  • Posts: 122
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2012, 03:07:50 PM »
Normal users can't modify their own posts in this forum.
Thanks man.  I thought I was loosing it be because I couldn't find the modify button, haha.

Update, front Dana 30 is painted and has been filled with fluid again.  Rear is waiting on superior one piece install and fluid.  It has been painted and cleaned up already.  The jeep is getting some paint work done and it should be done soon too.  Then I hope to move on with lifting and installing new tires/axles.
1984 CJ-7

Offline GrEmLiN

  • Trail Ready
  • **
  • Posts: 473
  • Jeep^2
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2012, 04:08:35 PM »
No problem lol.

What lift did you pick?
Don't tell people your problems... 80% of them don't care and the other 20% are glad you have them.

Offline diddy2003

  • Mall Crawler
  • *
  • Posts: 122
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2012, 05:22:05 PM »
No problem lol.

What lift did you pick?

Skyjacker soft ride with hydro shocks.  Its this one I think:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/26017_10X_B_PG.htm

I am getting it for $675, with the drop pitman arm, from a guy down in CT.  I went with hydro shocks.  This is mostly a street jeep that sees the trails about 10 percent of the time, so I wanted a nice ride. 
1984 CJ-7

Offline diddy2003

  • Mall Crawler
  • *
  • Posts: 122
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2012, 07:46:07 PM »
So I totally changed my lift choice to save some loot.  Rough country with probably bilsteins.  Getting the steering stabilizer, heavy duty stock height shackles, and brake lines to go with it.  Got my axles back a few weeks ago and they look good.  Ordered a set of MTRs today.  Hopefully I can install this stuff this weekend.  That might be wishful thinking though.  The jeep is currently sitting in the paint booth but I hope to get it back in a few days. 
1984 CJ-7

Online MasterDrazhar

  • Honorary Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • ****
  • Posts: 13922
  • 'F' with me? I'll STAB YA!
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2012, 07:51:12 PM »

 Cool, take pics as you go
Profile for Team_Oscar



Quote from: Sweet Cheeks Bitty
Nasty and ill-tempered?  I'll show you nasty and ill-tempered you old pinworm...

Quote from: Theo Maassen
Optimists are badly informed Pessimists.[/quote

Offline GrEmLiN

  • Trail Ready
  • **
  • Posts: 473
  • Jeep^2
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2012, 08:08:17 PM »
Hey I'm not telling you what to do because I don't own a Rough Country lift, but a former friend put one on his YJ and it's stiff as a brick. I didn't think they had good reviews, but I honestly never considered them.

Did you buy the lift yet, or put it in? Let us know how you like it or if you're still open to affordable alternatives.

Sorry I'm late to the convo lol.
Don't tell people your problems... 80% of them don't care and the other 20% are glad you have them.

Offline diddy2003

  • Mall Crawler
  • *
  • Posts: 122
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
I chose the rough country because I guy I work with owns a offroad shop and he recommended them.  Skyjacker was significantly more money and he said I was paying a lot for the name.  I also had a hard time justifying spending over 800 bucks on a lift kit for a lift for a CJ.  I heard that they were "rough" but I am willing to try them out.  The jeep is just a toy, and no daily driver, so we will see.  I was ordering it tomorrow. 
1984 CJ-7

Offline Jeep Lauren

  • Web Wheeler
  • ***
  • Posts: 501
  • Work Hard, Play Harder!
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2012, 09:19:46 PM »
Welcome, nice CJ man

Offline GrEmLiN

  • Trail Ready
  • **
  • Posts: 473
  • Jeep^2
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2012, 09:40:39 PM »
Sounds good. I'm interested to hear how you like it. I'm trying to figure out a lift solution for my YJ in the near future.
Don't tell people your problems... 80% of them don't care and the other 20% are glad you have them.

Offline diddy2003

  • Mall Crawler
  • *
  • Posts: 122
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2012, 04:18:55 PM »
So I ordered up everything today.  Heavy duty shackles, brake lines, complete kit, and steering stabilizer kit.  Tires should be in Friday.  I hope the lift is in sometime soon.  Can't wait!  Finally getting my jeep to where I want it to be.
1984 CJ-7

Offline Mr. Broken Fister

  • NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • *****
  • Posts: 3871
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2012, 06:19:59 PM »
For now then youll want to tear it apart and go more extreme. It doesn't end...
my life is a constant struggle with inanimate objects

Indecision is the tactical key to victory it allows the flexibility to not adhere to any formulated planning

If you want the quickest easiest most efficient solution to a problem, ask the laziest mother fu?ker you know

Offline Jeep Lauren

  • Web Wheeler
  • ***
  • Posts: 501
  • Work Hard, Play Harder!
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2012, 06:58:58 PM »
For now then youll want to tear it apart and go more extreme. It doesn't end...

Agreed lol expensive hobby for sure but worth it

Offline diddy2003

  • Mall Crawler
  • *
  • Posts: 122
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2012, 07:52:16 PM »
Haha!  Totally agree.  Already looking at winches and a few other things I want to get done.  The next big thing will be a soft top.  Can't deny it.  I am addicted, haha. 
1984 CJ-7

Offline diddy2003

  • Mall Crawler
  • *
  • Posts: 122
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2012, 08:07:26 PM »
Tires came in today and I got the Jeep back from my buddy.  Sry bout the crappy iphone pics.  The lift should be here in 1.5 weeks. 



1984 CJ-7

Online MassXJ

  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
  • *******
  • Posts: 16850
Re: New guy from Western MA
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2012, 08:09:55 PM »
looks very nice
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.