Author Topic: CC4W Racing at Southwick  (Read 6823 times)

Offline King of the Hill

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • The best beer in the world is the one in your hand
    • Jeeps on the Brain
CC4W Racing at Southwick
« on: March 19, 2012, 07:01:49 PM »
It's that time of the year again, Sunday April 22 is opening day.  A new trophy class is being started for new drivers.   6 point cage, Fuel cell, and 5 point harnesses are the basics. Details at cc4w.org.  The CJ is close to ready.  Alan, how's the Ferd lookin?
75 CJ-5        Plow Jeep Still for Sale - $800 w/4way plow
77 CJ-5        Red Jeep - 401, T18, Locked F&R
77 CJ-7        Sons Jeep - Built from Race Jeep remnants
79 CJ-7        Q-Track - Aging gracefully in the woods(well, not much left)
84 CJ-7        Rock Jeep - BYS  (Big Yellow Shitbox) on one tons
95 Wrangler  Sons commuter Jeep - bone stock 4 popper
97 TJ           Black Jeep on Slinkys
04 Grand Cherokee Overland - Wife's Jeep,  Too nice for me!

Offline MassXJ

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
Re: racing april 22nd at southwick
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 07:36:57 PM »
Looks like a pos under a tarp.  LoL
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Offline GrEmLiN

• Trail Ready
  • Jeep^2
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:49:15 AM »
AHHHH I wanna race so bad!! My Mom, Dad, Grandfather, Great Uncle and a bunch of family friends used to race in the 80's. I haven't been to Southwick in a year or two... I'll try to go up for the 22nd!

I wish I had some room to keep another Jeep so I could throw it on the side of my house, weld in a cage and go racing.
Don't tell people your problems... 80% of them don't care and the other 20% are glad you have them.

Offline CJ7Fun

• Trail Ready
  • Nancy&Allen
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 09:05:02 AM »
Good News! The Ferd is ready :)

I spent the last week kicking out the field mice and went through a long punch list to get it all right and
 all the problems I had last year have been solved.

I had an identical carb sitting on a shelf and rebuilt it with spring loaded needle and seats for off road and the truck sounds/runs great.

Nancy wants to race in the new trophy class for fun.

This years race dates:
April 22nd, May 20th, Sept. 16th, Oct. 14th

cc4w.org
Living on the Edge !
If your not on the edge...then your taking up too much space.

Offline MassXJ

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 09:17:08 AM »
Nice!!
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Offline GrEmLiN

• Trail Ready
  • Jeep^2
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 09:44:30 AM »
I would love to try my hand at the new class as well but I don't know who would let me. I've got a fire jacket and a helmet but no fire pants (or shoes) and no jeep to race lol.

I do have a bunch of pictures of my parents racing at Southwick I forgot to show everybody yesterday at the m&g. Left em in the Jeep as I was too busy enjoying myself, that was a blast.

Ill be there on the 22nd to watch though!
Don't tell people your problems... 80% of them don't care and the other 20% are glad you have them.

Offline CJ7Fun

• Trail Ready
  • Nancy&Allen
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
Anyone know where I could test out my race truck? A sandy oval track would work!
 I really want to do a shakedown somewhere besides the race track or the street :)
Living on the Edge !

Offline King of the Hill

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • The best beer in the world is the one in your hand
    • Jeeps on the Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 07:43:37 AM »
If you find a test track, let me know.  i would love to get my son in the Jeep for a little "clutch time" before the races.  He's going to run the trophy class too. 

This weekend I need to take out the heater core and get rid of the mouse nest in there.  When you turn on the defroster your eyes start to water.  I noticed it a little bit last race but the mice must have finished their condo complex over the winter.

Sedge
75 CJ-5        Plow Jeep Still for Sale - $800 w/4way plow
77 CJ-5        Red Jeep - 401, T18, Locked F&R
77 CJ-7        Sons Jeep - Built from Race Jeep remnants
79 CJ-7        Q-Track - Aging gracefully in the woods(well, not much left)
84 CJ-7        Rock Jeep - BYS  (Big Yellow Shitbox) on one tons
95 Wrangler  Sons commuter Jeep - bone stock 4 popper
97 TJ           Black Jeep on Slinkys
04 Grand Cherokee Overland - Wife's Jeep,  Too nice for me!

Offline Paul'TheGuest'W

• Rock Crawler
  • uh-oh he posted another avatar.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »
I'm there!! 
OMG, this guys avatar may get me in trouble at work.  Not the personal use of company property, I'm safe there.  Its his avatar that's going to get me in trouble.  Phew its gone, now I can get back to screwing off on company time!!

Offline GrEmLiN

• Trail Ready
  • Jeep^2
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 11:20:34 PM »

This is the only one I could find right now... I have thousands of old racing pictures I've gotta scan one of these days, including better shots of this Jeep on the track and a couple REALLY pretty shots of it flying around Southwick in the 80s with my Mom driving. Before the Red/White/Blue it was Black & Yellow and named "Luv Nuts" then it became Misery Loves Company.

Yes, that's my mother.

Offline CJ7Fun

• Trail Ready
  • Nancy&Allen
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 08:44:37 AM »
Those paddle tires look wicked !
Living on the Edge !

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 10:52:27 AM »
That must be a picture from Munson, not southwick. Could be wrong, but you really would not want paddle tires at Southwick.  My Cut boggers were bad enough
You can get a Hummer in a Jeep, but you can't get a Jeep in a Hummer!

97 TJ -Clayton Long Arm, 4.56gears, 9" rear/44 Front, Locked F/R, 36" Swampers, Beadlocks, One Ton Steering, full F/R cage and full skids

WIP: CJ Buggy:  V8, 14/60, 5.13's, Locked F/R.  Not sure what else will end up in it

89YJ, 4cyl, Waggy 44's, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers F/R, 37in MTR's, Beadlocks, Full Cage and tubed out front.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Offline GrEmLiN

• Trail Ready
  • Jeep^2
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »
You are correct, that picture was not taken at Southwick, that was at one of the sand drags (I'll ask my dad which track that was) -- but I meant to say I have other pictures of this truck on Desert Dog tires running around Southwick, floating over jumps. :D

If you like those then you'll like the 31x15.50 tires I picked up a few months ago... they used to run on my great uncle's nasty racing Bronco (also ran at Southwick I believe) then they sat in my grandparents' garage for like 20 years before I lost them during a move, then someone on the other side of the family grabbed them and I was able to get them back from my cousin recently.

Goodyear Wrangler XT
31x15.50 aka 400/50R15
Similar to these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-31x15-50x15-400-50-x-15-Continental-Allservice-/400218316205?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item5d2ededdad

Offline GrEmLiN

• Trail Ready
  • Jeep^2
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 11:01:50 AM »
Hey does anybody know the current owner of this black / big bad green CJ5? Anyone see this thing recently?? This is our friend's old fiberglass CJ, "Glass Nuts" -- he sold it years ago. My father painted this Jeep, way before my time. I love old photographs...

Offline CJ7Fun

• Trail Ready
  • Nancy&Allen
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
That must be a picture from Munson, not southwick. Could be wrong, but you really would not want paddle tires at Southwick.  My Cut boggers were bad enough

I knew that no paddle tires are allowed at southwick. I have not seen many tires like that and thought they look cool :)
Do you think fat tires or skinny tires are best for racing? What conditions make a difference?
Living on the Edge !

Offline CJ7Fun

• Trail Ready
  • Nancy&Allen
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 11:38:19 AM »
Hey does anybody know the current owner of this black / big bad green CJ5? Anyone see this thing recently?? This is our friend's old fiberglass CJ, "Glass Nuts" -- he sold it years ago. My father painted this Jeep, way before my time. I love old photographs...

That first picture get my adrenalin runnin like high octane gas!!!
Living on the Edge !

Offline GrEmLiN

• Trail Ready
  • Jeep^2
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 11:50:35 AM »
I think the ideal setup for a sandy track like Southwick is the Desert Dog tires everyone tries to get their hands on. They're a similar tread pattern to the Goodyear Wrangler XT's pictured above but in an 11.50 wide version. (Which Goodyear also did make, but I have never seen personally, just in vintage pictures.)

I see people like the Baja Claw tires also for that track... it's primarily a sand tire. But the Dogs are the way to go even my old man says that. He used to run an aggressive street Mud Terrain on his Landcruiser ("Wing Nuts") -- kinda like a Toyo Open Country or something, or a GY Wrangler MT/R.

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 12:46:28 PM »
Well, have raced there with many different tires, im not going off what others say, or looking at what they run (on a race truck/jeep people often run whatever they have, sense its only 4 times a year)

-with that said, i ran Cut Boggers in the rear, and TSL's in the fron't.  Wide tire gets you traction in the sand, the skinny TSL lets you turn easy.  Yes the Desert dogs run great, but they are hard to come by, a lot of racers are running on a tight budget and won't buy the XT's just for 4 races a year.

I started out with a Cut set of MT tires, ran ok for me when i was 16, although i was more focused on learning the track, not traction at that time.  Terry runs 4 TSL Swampers and it goes great, everytime he ran my cut boggers on the rear he blew a DS. lol

97 TJ -Clayton Long Arm, 4.56gears, 9" rear/44 Front, Locked F/R, 36" Swampers, Beadlocks, One Ton Steering, full F/R cage and full skids

WIP: CJ Buggy:  V8, 14/60, 5.13's, Locked F/R.  Not sure what else will end up in it

89YJ, 4cyl, Waggy 44's, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers F/R, 37in MTR's, Beadlocks, Full Cage and tubed out front.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Offline CJ7Fun

• Trail Ready
  • Nancy&Allen
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 09:54:09 PM »
Thanks guys for the input. I will use what I have and stay budget minded about racing :)
Living on the Edge !

Offline jeep56s

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 07:24:32 PM »

Here's what it looked like when we started.  Tire combo worked great.  On a wet day people said it was like following a manure spreader.

Here is the last race before we cut it up. 
Duct Tape Its like the "Force in Star Wars"  it has a light side and a dark side and holds the universe together.

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 09:28:45 PM »
That Last picture Hurt... Literally im the guy in the Blue Fire Suit, my D44 blew while going off the "spectator" Jump, and the Chevy landed right into the back/side of the Jeep.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Offline CJ7Fun

• Trail Ready
  • Nancy&Allen
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 08:16:01 AM »
Anyone use helmet tear offs?
Living on the Edge !

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 02:32:18 PM »
Nope i wore a motorcycle helmet, to much sand got in myface when i wore a dirtbike helmet.  Not a Bad idea if you think you need them.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Offline CJ7Fun

• Trail Ready
  • Nancy&Allen
Re: CC4W Racing at Southwick
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 09:08:44 AM »
Seven more Days...
Living on the Edge !

Offline CJ7Fun

• Trail Ready
  • Nancy&Allen
Re: CC4W Racing at Southwick
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 06:38:28 PM »
 Its official.  I took first place in two races the mod'8s and the small Multi's.
Nancy drove the parade and hot laps and then in the class trophy elimination's.
I think she liked it!
The truck still has some gremlins to work out but it sure likes to play in the dirt.
I had a great time and even traded some paint (battle trophy's) during the ironman finals.
Oh and nobody melted in the rain... imagine that!
Living on the Edge !