Author Topic: Radiator Recommendations  (Read 372 times)

Offline Horn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
Re: Radiator Recommendations
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 08:40:16 PM »
IIRC yours is an 05 with an automatic tranny so make sure you get the correct radiator with the tranny cooler in it.

OEM Mopar radiators seem to last the longest, if you are draining the system anyway replace the water pump while your there, and change out the thermostat to a 180 degrees too.

The Mopar is more expensive then the aftermarket ones but should outlast them from what I have read.

Amazon listing. https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-5503-7653AC-Radiator/dp/B0049ELCHI

If yours is a 04 I think there's a different part number for it.

05 but with the manual. Sounds like when I replace it I can use one with the tranny cooler on it and put plugs in the holes, or one without.

Like you were saying, a lot of my thinking was while I'm draining the system I might as well also replace some other things. Looks like I might not have to right now, but thinking this summer will renew and replace some other parts of the system.

Offline Horn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 08:46:43 PM »
Think I found it. Originally I discounted the top hose, but I saw it drip tonight. The first time I saw the puddle coolent  had been hitting the fan and being thrown around so I discounted what was on the hose since I couldn't see it leaking and there was a lot of splash up in that area.

Doesn't seem to leak while running.

Doesn't leak with a pressure tester on it.

Does leak when hot engine is shut off and it is parked on an incline nose pointed up.

Last night it was parked on the flat part of our driveway. Didn't leak then.  Leaky days, including tonight it was parked on the inclined part.

Online MassJK

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 08:50:41 PM »
might get away with just putting a worm clamp on it instead of the spring clamp
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Online JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 10:25:26 PM »
might get away with just putting a worm clamp on it instead of the spring clamp
This - normal clamp on each end and replace the hose since you have to drain it anyways
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Online MassJK

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 10:34:16 PM »
Drain.  F that.  Slide the spring clamp back a bit and put the worm clamp in its place.. 

Lol
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Online JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 10:43:20 PM »
Drain.  F that.  Slide the spring clamp back a bit and put the worm clamp in its place.. 

Lol
  by "normal clamp" I was referring to a normal worm clamp - not the factory clamp   :mrgreen:
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline Red Rocker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 11:55:01 PM »
IIRC yours is an 05 with an automatic tranny so make sure you get the correct radiator with the tranny cooler in it.

OEM Mopar radiators seem to last the longest, if you are draining the system anyway replace the water pump while your there, and change out the thermostat to a 180 degrees too.

The Mopar is more expensive then the aftermarket ones but should outlast them from what I have read.

Amazon listing. https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-5503-7653AC-Radiator/dp/B0049ELCHI

If yours is a 04 I think there's a different part number for it.

05 but with the manual. Sounds like when I replace it I can use one with the tranny cooler on it and put plugs in the holes, or one without.

Like you were saying, a lot of my thinking was while I'm draining the system I might as well also replace some other things. Looks like I might not have to right now, but thinking this summer will renew and replace some other parts of the system.

The OEM Mopar Manual tranny radiator is even cheaper, this one  https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-5503-7652AA-Radiator/dp/B0049EH4AC

I would be careful about using a worm clamp on the radiator neck, IIRC the tank and neck is plastic and the worm gear clamp will eventually crack the plastic neck.

Take the hose off, slightly sand the necks to get any old rubber off and put a new hose on with new spring clamps.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/917113_14.htm

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Cnstnt_Tnsn_Bnd_Hose_Clamp_37_2mm_44_5mm_Rnge_p/a18132.htm
Not sure if those are the right size, you'll have to measure yours before you order.

16 JKURR

"A threesome is not really cheating......the two girls cancel each other out"