Author Topic: Nepaug  (Read 1842 times)

Offline RobTJ

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
Nepaug
« on: July 31, 2016, 10:11:12 AM »
Not that we use it....

Just going to make it that much harder for C.O.R.E.C

http://fox61.com/2016/07/29/deep-bans-alcohol-at-state-parks-in-new-hartford-bans-cars-from-nepaug-state-forest/
"We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About..."
1999 "Chili Pepper Red" TJ; Clayton 3-Link; 35s; D30 with Eaton E-Locker; D44 Fully Spooled; 4.88s
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab w/6.4L "Yeah,  it's got a Hemi!"

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Nepaug
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 10:52:26 AM »
this publicity never helps...
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »
This doesn't surprise me.  This year alone we have had quite a few Rescues in the forest. (both EMS and Tow services).

Last month we had a vehicle roll in the forest and land on the driver
Last weekend we had an unconscious person with head injuries (Luckly found by people off-roading)
And Thursday we had a vehicle roll over, catch fire and spread off the road.

And a few times a year vehicles are ditched on the trails after being stripped.  Nevermind the "Im stuck" calls that the local Tow service gets. 
        -One of the latest was some students from England rented a "high end" SUV to wheel Nepaug.  It was on there bucket list while they where here. 

4 years ago we had a Grand Cherokee "loose its breaks" and crash into the trees, 2 flown out by lifestar, one of which had to be cut out of the Jeep.
You can get a Hummer in a Jeep, but you can't get a Jeep in a Hummer!

97 TJ -Clayton Long Arm, 4.56gears, 9" rear/44 Front, Locked F/R, 36" Swampers, Beadlocks, One Ton Steering, full F/R cage and full skids

WIP: CJ Buggy:  V8, 14/60, 5.13's, Locked F/R.  Not sure what else will end up in it

89YJ, 4cyl, Waggy 44's, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers F/R, 37in MTR's, Beadlocks, Full Cage and tubed out front.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Offline BC Miller

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 04:22:31 PM »
The first time I used the winch on my JK 3 years ago was to pull a Cherokee back on to it's wheels at Nepaug.  I watched the guy speeding and fish tailing on the "main" road, catch his front driver's wheel in a ditch, and roll the Cherokee on to its roof.  Before I started laughing, I waited to see if anyone was hurt.  No one was.  I watched him and his friend crawl out, both still holding their beers!  If he had not been blocking the road and dumping gas out his tank, I might have left him there.  Yes, a-holes like that ruin it for everyone.
2013 Rubicon, 2dr, 4.5" Teraflex lift, 35" Procomp Xtreme MT2 tires, Smittybilt winch

Online FF08JK

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 07:25:40 PM »
I'd be curious how aggressively DEEP will be patrolling for alcohol and vehicles
as well as what the penalties and fines will be.
I did the Satan's Kingdom tubing a week ago and was surprised how many "compounds"
were set up along the river across the way from River Road in Nepaug. 
Lotsa large groups partying.
08 4dr JK YC, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, auto, 5:38s, ProRock 44 w/RCVs, ARBs F/R, 35 spline F/R axles, Shrockwork sliders, Clayton skids, Clayton 3.5" LA lift, Expedition One rear bumper/tire carrier, Tom Woods front/rear DSs, Smittybuilt XRC 10 winch, Mr Fister Fab front bumper, VIAIR OBA w/ air tank bumper, Or-Fab front cage, Mastercraft Baja RS seats

Offline JK4JandK

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 02:13:34 AM »
I'd be curious how aggressively DEEP will be patrolling for alcohol and vehicles

Maybe at first....but Danny Boy has likely laid off too many to keep at it for very long or effectively.
"Wit is educated insolence."   Aristotle

Isish Diplomacy: The art of telling someone to go to Hell and having them looking forward to the trip.

"I have been trying to get out of High School.....since I got out of High School!"

"You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem."   Eldridge Cleaver

Yup.....definitely your circus, and your monkeys

Offline King of the Hill

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • The best beer in the world is the one in your hand
    • Jeeps on the Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 02:05:06 PM »
My guess is that they will lock the gates. 

Too bad, end of an Era.  I learned to drive a Jeep in that forest back in the 70's.
75 CJ-5        Plow Jeep Still for Sale - $800 w/4way plow
77 CJ-5        Red Jeep - 401, T18, Locked F&R
77 CJ-7        Sons Jeep - Built from Race Jeep remnants
79 CJ-7        Q-Track - Aging gracefully in the woods(well, not much left)
84 CJ-7        Rock Jeep - BYS  (Big Yellow Shitbox) on one tons
95 Wrangler  Sons commuter Jeep - bone stock 4 popper
97 TJ           Black Jeep on Slinkys
04 Grand Cherokee Overland - Wife's Jeep,  Too nice for me!

Offline MasterDrazhar

• Honorary Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 'F' with me? I'll STAB YA!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 02:51:07 PM »

Local yahoos will pull the gates open/down and we'll ALL look like A-Holes for it...    :rolleyes:

Profile for Team_Oscar

Quote from: Sweet Cheeks Bitty
Nasty and ill-tempered?  I'll show you nasty and ill-tempered you old pinworm...

Quote from: Theo Maassen
Optimists are badly informed Pessimists.[/quote

Offline Space Shuttle Commander

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 03:13:26 PM »

Too bad, end of an Era.  I learned to drive a Jeep in that forest back in the 70's.

Thats where I first went offroading, Wish I went there before they closed it.
Sometimes I get to drive Becca's Jeep

**** ALAN TASTE GOOD  ****

Offline HankD

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 08:37:22 PM »
3 min. From my house!
nada! Shopping for parts for new build.

Offline Paul'TheGuest'W

• Rock Crawler
  • uh-oh he posted another avatar.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 08:59:50 PM »
I did the Satan's Kingdom tubing a week ago and was surprised how many "compounds"
were set up along the river across the way from River Road in Nepaug. 
Lotsa large groups partying.

Drinking in Nepaug never ends well.  You have to call your favorite fireman to come save you.
OMG, this guys avatar may get me in trouble at work.  Not the personal use of company property, I'm safe there.  Its his avatar that's going to get me in trouble.  Phew its gone, now I can get back to screwing off on company time!!

Online FF08JK

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 04:14:06 PM »
I drove by there today out of curiosity
River Road is still open along the Farmington River.
However all gates into Nepaug are locked and there are signs stating no alcohol anywhere on Nepaug and MDC property and no motor vehicles anywhere in Nepaug. 
Looks like you could fit maybe 8 cars in lot at gate off of 202.

About 3 weeks ago we went tubing from Satans Kingdom on a Saturday.
I was amazed at the encampments that were set up along the river.
Clearly not locals......
08 4dr JK YC, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, auto, 5:38s, ProRock 44 w/RCVs, ARBs F/R, 35 spline F/R axles, Shrockwork sliders, Clayton skids, Clayton 3.5" LA lift, Expedition One rear bumper/tire carrier, Tom Woods front/rear DSs, Smittybuilt XRC 10 winch, Mr Fister Fab front bumper, VIAIR OBA w/ air tank bumper, Or-Fab front cage, Mastercraft Baja RS seats