Author Topic: Drones  (Read 3152 times)

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
Re: Drones
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2016, 10:13:16 PM »
I'm going with the hobby grade Traxxas Aton Plus (includes the gimbel camera mount and larger capacity battery)  It has great reviews and I've owned Traxxas products since 2000 and their stuff holds up and replacement parts are in every hobby shop...  Plus at around $300 it fits my price point for a beginner quad copter and has plenty of room to grow with the hobby  :smile:

If I really get into it - I'll save up for a professional grade DGI
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2016, 11:24:00 PM »
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

Online Gorilla_Skater

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2016, 11:32:08 PM »
Frank is the difference between the Aton and the Aton Plus just the landing feet and the gimbal?
1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0L V10 Tow Rig

"Teamwork makes the Dream Work!"

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2016, 11:57:57 PM »
Frank is the difference between the Aton and the Aton Plus just the landing feet and the gimbal?

The difference between the Aton and the Aton Plus is the Gimbal ($119) and the 5000 Mah battery - I believe the landing feet and fixed GoPro mount are included in the $299 model

https://youtu.be/fmnzy1AVID0

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2016, 11:02:48 PM »
My Aton will be here Tuesday

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2016, 10:17:56 PM »

The 5000mAh Aton+ battery upgrade (close to 30 min flight time) is larger than one of my E-Maxx monster truck batteries and weighs more than my Glock (almost 160z)

Offline Lambchop

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2016, 10:31:04 PM »
Don't think the fire department will be pleased when you call them to get it out of your tree.

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2016, 10:37:26 PM »
Don't think the fire department will be pleased when you call them to get it out of your tree.

It has a ceiling of 400ft (limited for FAA reasons and it can be disabled  :mrgreen:) - way higher than my trees  :mad02:

Online Gorilla_Skater

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2016, 10:43:20 PM »
Drone racing on ESPN2 right now!
1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0L V10 Tow Rig

"Teamwork makes the Dream Work!"

Offline Lambchop

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2016, 11:13:20 PM »

It has a ceiling of 400ft (limited for FAA reasons and it can be disabled  :mrgreen:) - way higher than my trees  :mad02:

Has to come down sometime

Offline Lambchop

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2016, 11:14:06 PM »

Watched that one time. Found it amusing how they poofed into a cloud of parts when they hit something at high speed

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2016, 11:41:34 PM »
  I watched that a while back - the Traxxas Aton + only hit's 50 MPH on expert mode, not 70MP like those

Offline Right Wing Curmudgeon!!!

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2016, 08:31:24 AM »
You gonna hang a 9mm off of it? :mrgreen:
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Offline beaker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • chillin and grillin
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2016, 09:42:42 PM »
Check any licensing necessary if you use it to transmit live video back to control unit.  Those tend to require ham radio license.  Fcc can fine pretty heavily  for unlicensed transmissions
"Abe Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal." Unknown

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2016, 10:25:40 PM »
Check any licensing necessary if you use it to transmit live video back to control unit.  Those tend to require ham radio license.  Fcc can fine pretty heavily  for unlicensed transmissions
  Bernie - I believe video is transmitted via WiFi frequencies

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2016, 10:27:08 PM »
I added the landing gear and GoPro Gimbal tonight

Offline The Navy Commander

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • Shaq City is the place to rock. Semper Fi diddy
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2016, 10:35:26 PM »
You see Drones with cameras and stuff.... I see real expensive aerial targets........  :mrgreen:
Superwinch EPi 9.0 Detours Custom Bumpers/Dropkicks, 3.5" RE Superflex Lift, 1" Daystar Body Lift, 15" Cragar Street Lock D, 33" Dick Cepek Crushers,
Solid Axle Diff Covers, Jeep Medic Belly Up Transmission/Engine Skid Plate Combo, Other Kirby+Skid Row stuff

Blessed are those who, in the face of death, concern themselves only with the front sight post...

Offline Lambchop

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2016, 10:41:15 PM »
Frank you need to share some "delicious soup" recipes :)

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2016, 10:59:41 PM »
You see Drones with cameras and stuff.... I see real expensive aerial targets........  :mrgreen:
  I could replace the camera on the powered gimbal with a Glock to return fire  :mrgreen: and aim it with the controller and POV goggles...

I wish I was joking, but the technology is here...

Offline beaker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • chillin and grillin
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2016, 04:57:37 AM »
Wifi and ham freq overlap.  Depending on power etc can fall under ham radio licensing.
"Abe Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal." Unknown

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2016, 07:38:43 PM »
It's official, I'm on another list - I had to register with the FAA in order to legally bring my quad copter outside my house!  I may not be able to fly it here becaus I can't fly within 5 miles from an airport or helipad.  Windham Hospital LifeStar Helipad is 6 driving miles away via google maps, but I think the rules is as the crow flies...

The interesting part is - I'm not registering the UAS, The registration registers me the operator and any new UAS gets the same number put on it!

Online MassXJ

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2016, 07:45:26 PM »
So much for being free .   Everything you do or own is tracked permitted,licensed or allowed  with application.

Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Offline Right Wing Curmudgeon!!!

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2016, 09:17:20 PM »
Just fly the damn thing! :mrgreen:
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2016, 10:41:31 PM »
So much for being free .   Everything you do or own is tracked permitted,licensed or allowed  with application.
  Yup!  $5 for a 2 year permit

Since an un-licenced operator flying a UAS (unmanned aircraft system) is covered as a Federal law - The maximum civil penalty is a fine of up to $27,500. Criminal penalties can reach $250,000 or three years in prison...

Offline Marty

• Founding Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • I'm Shaftless
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2016, 10:23:17 AM »
It's official, I'm on another list - I had to register with the FAA in order to legally bring my quad copter outside my house!  I may not be able to fly it here becaus I can't fly within 5 miles from an airport or helipad.  Windham Hospital LifeStar Helipad is 6 driving miles away via google maps, but I think the rules is as the crow flies...

The interesting part is - I'm not registering the UAS, The registration registers me the operator and any new UAS gets the same number put on it!

You can still fly it Frank - depends on class of airport for air space.  I'm working on my Part 107 drone permit and studying about air space right now - don't know it well enough to quote specifics but there are many ways around this ;)