Author Topic: Chimney liner Install  (Read 410 times)

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
Chimney liner Install
« on: October 31, 2016, 08:52:37 PM »
Separate thread because some where interested in what it took to install.  

The kit:  http://chimneylinerdepot.com/product/flex-king-pro-liner-kit/#select-top-plate

I was quoted $2000 for liner/insulation install and stove installation.  The 30' Kit was $860 TTD and my insurance company allowed me to install the stove as long as they inspect it.  I have heard others say its $800 just in labor ??(2 people, 4 hours @$100hr)??

1 1/2 hour prep and liner installation
1 1/2 hour liner/cap installation. (3 people)

Hardest part was getting the liner onto the roof, I had to put my 24' ladder in the back of my truck, then it took 3 of us to lug the liner onto the roof.   With the liner above all 3 of our heads (wish I had a pic) we where able to snake the liner down with the help of a rope on the end.  If I did it again I will make a Sheet metal cone for the end, we got stuck on some mortar about 2/3 of the way down.

After wrapping the Liner in insulation, taping with supplied tin foil tape, and sliding the wire mesh (way to big) over the whole liner I wrapped it tight with Stainless Mig wire in 5' increments.  This way everything was held tight and if the wire came off I would only loose 5' or so.  Definitly held everything together.  

I was lucky I have a 12' Flu (11" I.D.), and the total width of the liner being 7" made for an easy install.  They say you need at least 1" around the whole liner.

Long story short, my roof suck, my chimney is tall But as long as your not scared of heights you can easily save yourself 800-1000 on the install.

Best part is a Limited Lifetime warrantee, which is transferable.  All you need is a record of yearly cleanings

Liner install

Spray adhesive and insulation makes a big mess!!

Ladder setup

Center Chimney was 5' tall... :swear_mad:

Before the last 4' was trimmed before installing the cap

You can get a Hummer in a Jeep, but you can't get a Jeep in a Hummer!

97 TJ -Clayton Long Arm, 4.56gears, 9" rear/44 Front, Locked F/R, 36" Swampers, Beadlocks, One Ton Steering, full F/R cage and full skids

WIP: CJ Buggy:  V8, 14/60, 5.13's, Locked F/R.  Not sure what else will end up in it

89YJ, 4cyl, Waggy 44's, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers F/R, 37in MTR's, Beadlocks, Full Cage and tubed out front.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Offline Mr. Clean

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Chimney liner Install
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 09:14:33 PM »
Sounds like it was a fun project... nice work. Did you use a special 90 degree to hook to the stove? Or was it part of the kit... how long is the insurance company gunna drag their feet to come and  sign off on it?
I have no idea what I'm doing... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Offline ycatS75

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • A fart is a wish your butt makes
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 07:23:20 AM »
Savings of $1200! Nice!!

We want to install a wood stove in our house (there is currently nothing there, but we have a hole in the wall already from the previous owner where they had a stove). We will need to get the pipe, insulation, everything.

Where did you pick up the supplies?
'06 TJ built by SteveB
'15 JK Rubicon Hard Rock

"You gonna do something or just stand there and bleed?"

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 08:32:25 AM »
Did you use a special 90 degree to hook to the stove? Or was it part of the kit... how long is the insurance company gunna drag their feet to come and  sign off on it?

The stove went in a fireplace so after ovaling the pipe it dropped through the damper.  There is a 90deg elbow option instead of the appliance adapter that I needed. 

Once the stove is installed they will start the coverage and schedule the inspection, which is by there local agent (Statefarm)  They want to make sure the stove is installed correctly to the instructions and has plenty of clearance from combustibles. 

97 TJ -Clayton Long Arm, 4.56gears, 9" rear/44 Front, Locked F/R, 36" Swampers, Beadlocks, One Ton Steering, full F/R cage and full skids

WIP: CJ Buggy:  V8, 14/60, 5.13's, Locked F/R.  Not sure what else will end up in it

89YJ, 4cyl, Waggy 44's, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers F/R, 37in MTR's, Beadlocks, Full Cage and tubed out front.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 08:36:17 AM »
Savings of $1200! Nice!!

Where did you pick up the supplies?

http://chimneylinerdepot.com/product/flex-king-pro-liner-kit/#select-top-plate

The receipt said Royal Chimney Supply, but from the web site above.  Talking to the rep, who was full of knowledge they are the manufacture.  Evey other place I called had limited or incorrect information.

Best part is a Limited Lifetime warrantee, which is transferable.  All you need is a record of yearly cleanings

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 03:59:33 PM »
1 year later UPDATE: 
    -   Just cleaned my chimney after being burned almost 100% of last winter, and a month and a half this year.  Looked down the liner and all you see is dust lining the outside.  Didn't look that much different after running the brush down, No build up and little dust fell into the stove.

Definitely paid off getting the double lined liner, and adding the insulation.  Everything helps keep it from cooling to prevent creosol buildup. 

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Online YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 05:55:19 PM »
Sometimes spending a few bucks pays off in the long run.
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline Mr. Clean

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 07:02:02 PM »

What he said! Glad it worked out.
I have no idea what I'm doing... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Online A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 07:21:31 PM »
One of these years I'll rip out the black pipe liner and do a double wall. Still beets the ovalizer dumping into the brick pipe like I first had  :eek:
'16 JKR, Rock Krawler 3.5" Long Arm Off-Road Pro, 35" Nitto Trail Graplers

Build thread http://forum.northeastjeep.org/index.php?topic=38405.new#new

Offline JBert

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 10:03:35 AM »
Thanks for the write up.  I have to put one in mine when the weather gets nicer.  Right now, there's only 18'' of pipe that come off my wood insert that just dumps into the brick flu....
-Justin-
88 YJ - 05 WK

Online YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 10:08:38 AM »
Two years ago we did a roof. We did a 50-year roof with a warranty. I could have took the time and did it myself. I had the money to have it done. It was done in two-days including strip & clean-up. We chose a company that is second generation and stable. Paid a little more but we have someone to call.

Way I look at it, if I die here, my last roof ever. If we move, warranty is transferable and a selling point.

Sometimes it's just better to have it done.
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 12:01:16 PM »

We don't plan on moving, so it was worth it.

Thanks for the write up.  I have to put one in mine when the weather gets nicer.  Right now, there's only 18'' of pipe that come off my wood insert that just dumps into the brick flu....

And you know what that causes...

Let me know when the time comes, I can give you all the hints I learned, or give you a hand.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Offline JBert

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 01:29:51 PM »

And you know what that causes...

Let me know when the time comes, I can give you all the hints I learned, or give you a hand.
[/quote]

Works for me.  I'll supply pizza and beer.
-Justin-
88 YJ - 05 WK