Author Topic: CJ Grill on a YJ #techtip  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Gorilla_Skater

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: CJ Grill on a YJ #techtip
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2017, 04:42:59 PM »
FINALLY back on the road!

All in all I'm happy with the project. I LOVE the new look. Now that I'm though it, there are definitely some things I would do better/different.

1. Trimming the YJ fenders to fit CJ Tube fenders
There is no template for this. I was flying blind. I did a lot of test fitting, but messed up a couple of cuts.

2. I used the YJ radiator, should have used a CJ radiator.
I used a YJ radiator because I had a new one. I had to fab some custom brackets to get it on the CJ grill. Not bad, but problematic if/when I need to change the radiator. I also feel I could get the radiator as far back as it would have been with a CJ radiator. (See #3)

3. Fan/radiator clearance and shroud
There is about 1 and 3/8ths inch clearance between the fan clutch and the radiator.
That should be enough and I have Brown dog motor mounts to hopefully keep that clearance when wheeling. I also couldn't get the YJ shroud to fit. so I'm not running a shroud. I have to get a CJ shroud, plus I'm planning a motor mount lift so things should line up better.

3. Transmission cooler
I didn't lower the radiator so there was a clearance issue between the fan blades and the transmission cooler ports on the radiator. Instead of messing with it, I just connected the transmission lines directly to the B&M cooler. I know they say it's important to run the radiator cooler in the cold weather, but I hardly drive it in the winter. I'm just hoping that it cools well enough in the summer out on the trail.

4. Alignment of grill/hood/fenders
Not bad. The only issue I had was on the passenger side. When everything was loose, it was fine, but as soon as I started to snug things down, the front of the passenger fender would want to point down and the grill would end up crooked. The only way I was able to get it to reasonably line up was to jack up the front part of the fender which deformed the tub. I compensated by putting a piece of a spring shim between the tub and the fender. Once it's painted and with the rock slide over it, it's not bad.

5. Turn signals/markers
The YJ lights used a funky 4 wire set up. I don't get it, but according to the meter, 2 of the wires were both ground and 12 volts? I think it's how they got a 2 wire light to flash and alternate with the front lights. Anyway, I have the front markers/turn signals working. I don't really need them, but I have 2 front facing leds that are constant. YJ's and CJ's both had a side market/turn signal, so I have to figure something out there.

6. Loose ends
There is a tube that connected between the charcoal canister and the the air cleaner box. There was a bung right on the TJ intake tube, but I cut it off  :swear_mad: . I just have to make that connection.

1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0L V10 Tow Rig

"Teamwork makes the Dream Work!"

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2017, 06:21:12 PM »
Awesome project Rey!  For your fan clearance issue - a Flex-A-Lite electric fan would work great and free up some power.  I ran one in my YJ for over a decade and it worked great.  It has a built in shroud.
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline BC Miller

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2017, 05:53:57 PM »
Very nice, Rey.  Can't wait to see it in person.
2013 Rubicon, 2dr, 4.5" Teraflex lift, 35" Procomp Xtreme MT2 tires, Smittybilt winch