Author Topic: MA public land  (Read 4035 times)

Offline ctdemolay0405

MA public land
« on: September 18, 2011, 08:26:28 AM »
I heard from another jeep owner that the high power line trails in MA are public land and thus are open for off roading... anyone know if this is true?

Offline XJRV-Maki

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • salt no carry
Re: MA public land
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 08:56:09 AM »
Not true.

Some PL's are company owned, most are ROW's across private property, some are ROW's across state or town land. In all cases you will need permission (preferably written) from all the landowners whose property you travel on. I can tell you right now that the power company(s) never give permission and the state never gives permission. There are some power line trails in MA that are wheeled legally with permission from the private land owner that the ROW crosses but those are rare.

Offline Guardianct

• Trail Ready
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 02:01:36 PM »
Good to know. Same thing in CT. There are places everywhere to wheel. Need to get permission first. I know at neapaug, you can wheel everywhere legally but the powerlines which has do not trespass.
97 tj bone stock.

Offline Paul'TheGuest'W

• Rock Crawler
  • uh-oh he posted another avatar.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 02:07:56 PM »
Good to know. Same thing in CT. There are places everywhere to wheel. Need to get permission first. I know at neapaug, you can wheel everywhere legally but the powerlines which has do not trespass.

Nope, anything off the service roads in nepaug is illegal.  ANYTHING.
OMG, this guys avatar may get me in trouble at work.  Not the personal use of company property, I'm safe there.  Its his avatar that's going to get me in trouble.  Phew its gone, now I can get back to screwing off on company time!!

Offline Guardianct

• Trail Ready
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 02:12:16 PM »
Well then I guess I was misinformed by a deep ranger or whatever the guys title is. He said stay on the trail unless it's marked otherwise.
97 tj bone stock.

Offline Paul'TheGuest'W

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 02:15:06 PM »
Well then I guess I was misinformed by a deep ranger or whatever the guys title is. He said stay on the trail unless it's marked otherwise.

I've been ticketed next to the river, and asked to leave the abandoned house property.  Stay on the access roads only per the deep.
OMG, this guys avatar may get me in trouble at work.  Not the personal use of company property, I'm safe there.  Its his avatar that's going to get me in trouble.  Phew its gone, now I can get back to screwing off on company time!!

Offline Guardianct

• Trail Ready
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 02:19:55 PM »
Sheesh. How much was the ticket? Did you play stupid like you didn't know.. You didn't see any marked signs? First time going there?
97 tj bone stock.

Offline Paul'TheGuest'W

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 02:25:03 PM »
Sheesh. How much was the ticket? Did you play stupid like you didn't know.. You didn't see any marked signs? First time going there?

I was parked next to the river fishing with my kid.  They fined me for simple tresspass because my truck was parked near the river so I wouldn't have to walk with a 3 yo and all my gear.  Guy was cool didn't tow me or anything major since it wasn't covered in mud, and my tracks went around all the puddles.  He thanked me for being responsible but said next time park on the road.  That was 5 years ago.  CT sucks for wheeling, one of the reasons I moved to New Hampshire.

Offline Guardianct

• Trail Ready
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 02:29:33 PM »
Yea I'm looking at 60 acres north of  Winnipesaukee for 100k. Trying to get it a little lower. CT is great for my business but I need a getaway
97 tj bone stock.

Offline JK4JandK

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 03:04:53 PM »
I heard from another jeep owner that the high power line trails in MA are public land and thus are open for off roading... anyone know if this is true?

Thank you for asking and trying to be responsible rather than just winging it and hoping for the best.  If you do find legal wheeling in MA along PLs please do not post any pictures online as some will use those pics (legal or not) towards their agenda of making us all drive solar powered mopeds.
"Wit is educated insolence."   Aristotle

Isish Diplomacy: The art of telling someone to go to Hell and having them looking forward to the trip.

"I have been trying to get out of High School.....since I got out of High School!"

"You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem."   Eldridge Cleaver

Yup.....definitely your circus, and your monkeys

Offline x10shooter

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 06:55:31 AM »
In CT, There is no legal place to set your tires off the pavement other than private land that you would need written permission to be on and carry that contract with you at all times. Don't believe what a DEEP officer tells you, they don't know absolutely everything either. However, there are rather large loopholes for other forms of motorized recreation.

Offline CTAVIATOR

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 08:19:19 PM »
I know you can wheel in October mountain state park in MA. You have to pay a fee, small one. I see rigs all the time when I fly in there as we have some heavy blocks we practice sling loads there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk