Author Topic: diff cover or skid?  (Read 1520 times)

Offline RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
Re: diff cover or skid?
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 11:49:15 AM »
My d30 cover from Solid came with hardware.
88 YJ, D30, D35, 4.10's, 4.6L Stroker, MPFI, Skyjacker 2.5" Lift, 33's
00 XJ, HP30, Front Truss, WJ Knuckles, High Steer, 3 link, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromo's, IRO Leafs, 4.56's, Rebuilt 4.0, JK Rubi Wheels, 35's

Offline Necroscope

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
  • What will be, will be...what will be, has been...
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 12:16:16 PM »
The sticker is the best part

Buy longer hardware ! dont rely on the stock hardware, in some situations it is too short

They sent hardware with them. Not sure if they are longer or not. They also gave me 5 stickers!! What a deal!! (blue for sarcasm, right?)...your welcome to them... :mrgreen:

Also, there's a thread that mentions gasket/no gasket...and what type of sealant to use. Looked through the forum and can't seem to find it. Not sure if I want to use the RTV stuff that came with the covers. What is the name of the stuff that some of you have mentioned in the other post?
In the end, we're all just chalk lines on the concrete. Drawn, only to be washed away...For the time that I've been given...I am what I am...

Offline Space Shuttle Commander

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 12:19:40 PM »
RTV

GOOP IT AND GO !

BIGGER DA GLOB THE BETTA THE JOB !
Sometimes I get to drive Becca's Jeep

**** ALAN TASTE GOOD  ****

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 12:32:48 PM »
Use the sealant that came with it.
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline RobTJ

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 12:36:44 PM »
Right Stuff!
"We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About..."
1999 "Chili Pepper Red" TJ; Clayton 3-Link; 35s; D30 with Eaton E-Locker; D44 Fully Spooled; 4.88s
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab w/6.4L "Yeah,  it's got a Hemi!"

Offline MassXJ

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 01:00:12 PM »
Lube locker
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Offline Gorilla_Skater

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2017, 01:13:55 PM »
I just switched to lube lockers last year. Haven't done a reinstall, but my main driver is if I had a change a rear axle shaft on the trail (Ford 8.8 c-clip). I just have to worry about popping the cover and dealing with the used oil. I don't have to worry about cleaning the sealant off and reapplying.
1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0L V10 Tow Rig

"Teamwork makes the Dream Work!"

Offline harryhood

• Administrator
  • Rock Crawler
    • 72 scamp
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2017, 01:59:04 PM »
I will never use RTV on a dif cover if there is a lube locker gasket available. They are a little spendy but I've pulled covers off 4 or 5 times and been able to reuse the lube locker. So in the long run when you factor in cost of RTV they aren't bad purely on cost. From a ease of use standpoint they are much gooder than RTV.
"it's like you're playing the triangle"

Offline harryhood

• Administrator
  • Rock Crawler
    • 72 scamp
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2017, 02:00:39 PM »
Also, there's a thread that mentions gasket/no gasket...and what type of sealant to use. Looked through the forum and can't seem to find it. Not sure if I want to use the RTV stuff that came with the covers. What is the name of the stuff that some of you have mentioned in the other post?

lube locker

^^

Offline RobTJ

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2017, 02:30:55 PM »
Ok,  you've convinced me.   I'll join your Lube Locker cult this spring
"We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About..."
1999 "Chili Pepper Red" TJ; Clayton 3-Link; 35s; D30 with Eaton E-Locker; D44 Fully Spooled; 4.88s
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab w/6.4L "Yeah,  it's got a Hemi!"

Offline markus68

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2017, 02:54:44 PM »
looking between tera flex n solid
Mark

Offline Right Wing Curmudgeon!!!

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2017, 06:41:50 PM »
My Solids have taken a beating!  Do yourself a favor, get small washers for the bolts.  Some areas are too tight for a socket, but if you have the washer it works better..  you don't need lube lockers.  Right Stuff.
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2017, 07:15:43 PM »
'16 JKR, Rock Krawler 3.5" Long Arm Off-Road Pro, 35" Nitto Trail Graplers

Build thread http://forum.northeastjeep.org/index.php?topic=38405.new#new

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2017, 09:03:53 PM »

I just switched to lube lockers last year. Haven't done a reinstall, but my main driver is if I had a change a rear axle shaft on the trail (Ford 8.8 c-clip). I just have to worry about popping the cover and dealing with the used oil. I don't have to worry about cleaning the sealant off and reapplying.

I ran a lube locker in the D35 I used to have on my old YJ - I carried spare shafts and with C-Clip axle shafts you have to take the cover off  on the trail...  The front D30 diff cover on the YJ was glued on with the Right Stuff - seals great, not an easy task removing it in the shop - forget about it on the trail

My newer TJ shouldn't have problems with shafts on the trail, but I intend on using lube lockers when I change fluids in the D44 (with the Solid cover) or the front D30 (with the Ridler cover)

I think I have a Solid D30 cover kicking around if I didn't give it to the new owner of my YJ

99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline markus68

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »
good package deal
Mark

Offline Miley Cyrus

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2017, 06:51:39 AM »
Lol I ordered the ps front cover after being peer pressured into it by tom and I figured get the bare and rattle myself as I usually always have paint but when I opened the box they shipped me the powder one lol save some dough the way I like.

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2017, 02:30:27 PM »
Lol I ordered the ps front cover after being peer pressured into it by tom and I figured get the bare and rattle myself as I usually always have paint but when I opened the box they shipped me the powder one lol save some dough the way I like.

Sweet!!

Offline Necroscope

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
  • What will be, will be...what will be, has been...
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »
Decided to try the LubeLockers. $21.95 each on Amazon & free shipping. Came in the mail today. Even sent a few stickers with them!! Woo Hoo...more stickers!! :rotflmao:
In the end, we're all just chalk lines on the concrete. Drawn, only to be washed away...For the time that I've been given...I am what I am...

Offline beaker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • chillin and grillin
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2017, 08:40:12 PM »
They are thick enough to add a drain hole.  At least the d60 ones are.  Drill and tap for a 1/4-28 down low.  Use a button head screw.  Drain and refill, no gasket worries.  Just use a small gasket under screw head to seal.
"Abe Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal." Unknown

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline markus68

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2017, 10:28:19 PM »
Took the ORE package deal on the TF with lube lockers....Installed today, no issues....Now to save for the hard rock undercarriage armor

Mark

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2017, 05:36:39 AM »
Took the ORE package deal on the TF with lube lockers....Installed today, no issues....Now to save for the hard rock undercarriage armor

Sweet! Did you talk to Eric or Gill? They are wicked good people.

Offline BC Miller

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2017, 04:19:24 PM »
So this morning I removed the front diff skid/slider I'd been using for the past couple years (and bent), and replaced it with the Poison Sypder cover I got last December.  Even though the cover came with sealant, I made a last minute decision to try the Lube Locker gasket (I ordered a pair on Amazon Thursday and got them Saturday via free regular mail!).  I'm glad I went with the Lube Locker...

First thing I noticed when I got the cover, was that the bold heads are recessed to protect them from trail damage, which is a good thing. But some of the mounting holes had too much material around them to get a socket or wrench on the bolt to tighten them.  I had to break out the Dremel to make room.  Not a big deal, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Also, the cover came with grade 8 bolts, which is also a good thing.  But I wonder if they're Chinese Grade 8.  After putting the cover on, torquing the bolts in the right sequence to the right ft-lbs, I got to the final torque on the 2nd to last bolt, and SNAP!  FAWK!  A grade 8 bolt should not break at less than 35 ft-lbs.  So here's where having the Lube Locker paid it's first dividend, because I had to take the cover off and start all over again (fortunately the broken bolt came out easily).

Anyway, everything is back together and so far no leaks.  Yes, the Lube Lockers might be a little pricey, but I think they're worth it, and easier to work with than RTV.  And If I ever replace the half cover that protects the rear diff, I'm going with Solid.
2013 Rubicon, 2dr, 4.5" Teraflex lift, 35" Procomp Xtreme MT2 tires, Smittybilt winch

Offline harryhood

• Administrator
  • Rock Crawler
    • 72 scamp
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2017, 04:39:02 PM »
I had a bolt break on my OX cover. I haven't bothered to replace it yet, no leaks.

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2017, 06:50:03 PM »
I had zero issues with my PS cover. 3/8 drive socket fit no problem.

Offline markus68

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2017, 08:28:45 PM »
eric helped me out....great guy....I will be buying more from ORE in the future
Mark