Author Topic: OPDA Replacement  (Read 596 times)

Offline Horn

• Probie
OPDA Replacement
« on: April 22, 2017, 01:03:30 PM »
I've read a lot of suggestions to replace the OPDA especially in 05-06 4.0 engines as a preventative measure so I'm planning to change it out in my 05 LJ soon.  Mine isn't one of the VINs listed in the service bulletin about it but it seems like it's cheap insurance to change it out.

I ordered a Crown replacement unit and from reading and watching videos about replacement these are a few details I've picked up to make sure to do when I do it.  Any other suggestions or guidance would be great.

1.  Reuse the old sensor since the sensors that come with the Crown or Dorman units may not be as good.

2.  Use the method to line up the old and new units by removing the plastic pin from the new unit, turning over the engine by hand until the pin can be slid through the housing hole and the alignment hole in the old unit, then removing the old unit and replacing the new unit in exactly the same position.  Seems easy enough when I watch other people doing it.

Anything else I should watch out for or be aware of before I start?

Offline Lambchop

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: OPDA Replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 01:28:55 PM »
Sounds as though you have done your research. My 05 didnt fall within the recall yet my 1st year at Fall Crawl my OPDA gear actually shattered and dropped down into the oil pan causing me to completely loose all oil pressure. Thankfully I was on the trail and only crawling at the time.

Offline Broken99TJ

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
    • http://www.objectriver.net
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 06:58:18 AM »
OPDA?

Offline Space Shuttle Commander

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 07:57:22 AM »
oil pump drive assembly
Sometimes I get to drive Becca's Jeep

**** ALAN TASTE GOOD  ****

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 03:26:09 PM »
Seems like there are a lot of stories like above. I'm sure there are many that are perfectly fine as well but I'll sleep better knowing it's done.  One of the first things I came across when I was looking into LJs was suggestions to replace it. The parts are coming this week and I should get it done soon. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Miley Cyrus

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 06:10:47 AM »
Option 2 is what I used it works perfect takes like 5 mins

Offline beaker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • chillin and grillin
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 08:04:27 PM »
On the older engine.  It's just a steel rod with a tab to engage the distributor.  What did they do in the new engines?
"Abe Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal." Unknown

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Miley Cyrus

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 06:08:24 AM »
There is a coil pack on top of engine instead of distributor on new motors but the opda looks like distributor it's just a cam sensor and the oil pump drive off gear on cam, the shaft is still just a rod with flat end that fits into oil pump drive. Problem was they made a bad design and had a deal below the top of bushing in the opda so it never gets lubrication wich leads to wear and then it eventually moved enough where it breaks teeth off gear driven by cam and then no spinny action for oil pump which is as tom says it no Bueno for motor. Lamb hop had this happen. It ends up sounding like a bunch of squirrels in motor squealing then boom, mine started to squeal at Rausch in November so didn't wheel second day and replaced when I got home.

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 06:42:39 AM »
Crown says that their redesign has the oil seal moved so that it is above the bushings and an oil channel added to the shaft to increase lubrication.  Mine is quiet at the moment with 30,000 miles.  I should get to changing it this weekend and hopefully it will stay that way.  I'm also curious to see what the one that comes out looks like.

Offline bigdaddymack51

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 07:01:34 AM »
With all the repairs Ive done on vehicles of any type and brand.  I wouldnt recommend the Doorman products to anyone .   Just my opinion.  FjR68

Offline Miley Cyrus

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 08:35:16 PM »
That is exactly what they did, they remade with the seal above to lubricate the bushing, when mine came out with idk how many miles (stuck at 82711 for 2 years now) it wasn't bad on wear but you could see on the teeth of the gear that it was off kilter and wearing on edges of teeth. Don't know how much longer it would have gone but glad I changed when I did and didn't have catastrophic failure

Offline Lambchop

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 09:10:01 PM »
My original after about 42k miles

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 09:15:19 PM »
Is this only an issue with later coil pack TJ's or are the older distributor TJ units effected as well?
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline Lambchop

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 09:27:32 PM »
Mainly 05-06 but I have read a few stating they had similar issues in 04s

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 09:38:37 PM »
Mainly 05-06 but I have read a few stating they had similar issues in 04s
  Thanks Justin!  I just didn't want to worry about my 1999
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 10:49:53 PM »
Could use some suggestions. I worked in it tonight for a while. No problems getting the engine turned over and the old OPDA lined up for removal. The problem came with the bolt that secures the retaining clip under it. I know it has caused issues for others and I'm stuck at that step. I tried different box wrenches. It's supposed to be a 13mm but 13 seems loose. 1/2 seems to fit better but still not great and I think the bolt may be slightly rounded anyway. I soaked it in some PB Blaster for a few hours so now it looks prettier but is still just as stuck. There is so little clearance to get at it I can't get much leverage with the relatively short wrenches and I can't get a socket with a ratchet on it for lack of clearance above it. Only idea I had was that If I could attach a socket to a rod that was low profile enough maybe I could get some more leverage. Like a mini breaker bar. I can see it in my head but fabricating it easily is a little above my skill set. I'm pretty sure though if I don't try something different I'm going to round off the bolt. I had to put everything back together again so I could drive to work tomorrow which was probably just as well to take a break and come back to it another time. Suggestions welcomed.

Online Gorilla_Skater

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 10:54:04 PM »
Can you use 2 wrenches to get leverage?

1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0L V10 Tow Rig

"Teamwork makes the Dream Work!"

Offline Miley Cyrus

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 06:11:44 AM »
I had the same issue, it was stuck and almost took hand if God to remove, just work at it slow and try to get leverage, double wrench might work but just take your time and make sure good grip so don't make worse

Offline Right Wing Curmudgeon!!!

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 07:13:10 AM »
Do not use a 12 point if you think its starting to round out.  Use a 6 point wrench or socket.  Also, I would use a little heat then hit it with Deep Creep or Kroil.  PB is junk compared to others.  If you have flat punch or air hammer you can tap on it which may help to break it free.

03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »
Sounds as though you have done your research. My 05 didnt fall within the recall yet my 1st year at Fall Crawl my OPDA gear actually shattered and dropped down into the oil pan causing me to completely loose all oil pressure. Thankfully I was on the trail and only crawling at the time.

It took a lot of winches to get you off the trail...
You can get a Hummer in a Jeep, but you can't get a Jeep in a Hummer!

97 TJ -Clayton Long Arm, 4.56gears, 9" rear/44 Front, Locked F/R, 36" Swampers, Beadlocks, One Ton Steering, full F/R cage and full skids

WIP: CJ Buggy:  V8, 14/60, 5.13's, Locked F/R.  Not sure what else will end up in it

89YJ, 4cyl, Waggy 44's, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers F/R, 37in MTR's, Beadlocks, Full Cage and tubed out front.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Offline Lambchop

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 04:21:42 PM »

It took a lot of winches to get you off the trail...

Yup....just my luck it happen at pretty much the furthest part of the trail before starting to head back. Definitely broke my brand new superwinch in that day as well.

Offline beaker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • chillin and grillin
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 08:09:47 PM »
Crows feet work well on distributor clamp bolts.
"Abe Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal." Unknown

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin Franklin

Online MassXJ

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 08:20:12 PM »
or ....... wait for it .......... kinda old skool ........   a distributor wrench
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 09:24:20 PM »
No luck tonight but I'm making progress in at least putting in some time trying different things.  Tried double wrenching it today but was having difficulty with the space I had to work with and not having a secure connection to the bolt.  Probably because it is getting rounded.  I'm trying not to make it any worse at this point.  Hit it with more penetrating oil a few times today and this weekend I'll try a crow feet or distributor wrench and some heat.  On the plus side it's been a fantastic reason to buy some tools I didn't have so far.

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 11:13:47 PM »
Got it off.  The answer was heat it and use a 1/2 inch distributor wrench on a long T-handle. I'm sure the 2 days of soaking with penetrating oil helped too. Got the old unit out and the new one in.  Tomorrow I'll pick up a new 13 mm retaining bolt to finish up.  The old OPDA shows wear.  I was expecting to see some.  No idea how mine stacks up to how it should look after 30,000 miles.  The unit spins freely but has a lot more up and down play than the Crown replacement.