Author Topic: Axle U Joint?  (Read 1112 times)

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
Re: Axle U Joint?
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 09:44:39 PM »
AeroKroil penetrating oil and a hammer with an 1/8" punch

(glad the steering wheel method worked for you!)
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline Right Wing Curmudgeon!!!

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 10:06:05 PM »
Deep Creep or Kroil.  Soak for a few min.  Smak the yoke a few times with a hammer the use a flat screwdriver and the hammer and push and tap the corner of the c clip.  Should pop out.
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Online Gorilla_Skater

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 06:24:37 AM »
Yup, I just did a bunch on some spare shafts I had. Like Bruce said, just find an exposed end, and put a screwdriver on it and hit it with a hammer. They may fly off.
1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0L V10 Tow Rig

"Teamwork makes the Dream Work!"

Offline RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 08:29:59 AM »
After starting to ruin one of my nicer screw drivers doing this the other day, I switched to using a punch. Worked equally as well, but didn't ruin my screw driver. Persistence and a good hammer should be the ticket.
88 YJ, D30, D35, 4.10's, 4.6L Stroker, MPFI, Skyjacker 2.5" Lift, 33's
00 XJ, HP30, Front Truss, WJ Knuckles, High Steer, 3 link, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromo's, IRO Leafs, 4.56's, Rebuilt 4.0, JK Rubi Wheels, 35's

Offline MasterDrazhar

• Honorary Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 'F' with me? I'll STAB YA!
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 09:33:40 AM »
Any good tricks for getting C clips off? I had no problems until now. Used the steering trick to pop the rusted hub loose. But I can't get the C clips off the joints yet.

Spray both sides with Kroil...  Put the ear on the floor, or vise, put a socket on the end cap and give it a really good wack!  Pry the clip out as mentioned or use a pair of c-clip pliers.  Flip joint over and repeat.
Profile for Team_Oscar

Quote from: Sweet Cheeks Bitty
Nasty and ill-tempered?  I'll show you nasty and ill-tempered you old pinworm...

Quote from: Theo Maassen
Optimists are badly informed Pessimists.[/quote

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 11:34:46 AM »
Thanks. Ruined a not so great screwdriver that was lousy to begin with and that was the trick.

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2017, 07:02:47 AM »
Thanks everyone. Finished up the other day. I ran into a time  crunch Wednesday so dropped off the axles and joints at a local shop and had them press them in while I took care of some family obligations. Then got everything put back together for daily driving duty with 20 minutes  to spare. I learned a bunch of new things along the way. Didn't solve the original issue I was chasing down but I'll keep looking into other areas now and completed a job I was planning to do at some point this summer.  On to the next thing. I've got a new top waiting to go on.

Offline Greenhorn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2017, 07:54:29 PM »
sacrificial screwdrivers
I keep saying I'm going to make a tool for that ...lol
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2017, 08:37:54 PM »
Continuing this as I'm coming back to looking into this issue again.
U-joints and front unit bearings didn't take care of the original noise so I'm still tracking it down.

Sounds and feels like clicking or snapping from the front especially noticeable when entering or exiting parking lots or highway entrance ramps (I'm pretty sure a little body roll makes it worse) and when turning sharply like when backing into a parking space. With Jeep stationary it can be felt through steering wheel when turning it lock to lock.  Happens maybe 2-3 times each full lock to lock turn. Is slowly getting worse.

So far I've gotten under and tugged on just about everything I can find a couple of different times including with wheels on the ground and off the ground and haven't found anything I can tell that is loose.
Made sure that the track bar was torqued to FSM specs on axle side.  It was.
Last weekend I had a helper around and I had him turn wheel lock to lock with Jeep running and wheels on ground while I listened.  Can hear it louder under front but can't see anything that looks like it has extra play or is rubbing.  Everything underneath is stock.  I spent a bunch of time holding onto just about everything I could as steering was moved back and forth to see if I could feel where it was coming from.  Couldn't get any better idea than generally under front and related to steering.

I'm ready for new ideas to try and also getting to the point of being ready to have someone with a more experienced eye and ear take a look and listen sometime to see if they can shed light on it.   I'm stumped at the moment.

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2017, 08:54:03 PM »
Drive shaft
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2017, 09:03:10 PM »
Track bar bushing.   Axle side.  Just replace it.   Like 15 bucks.
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

(John Wayne)

Offline RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2017, 05:51:17 AM »
So I actually had a similar issue to this where I thought I had a popping that was louder in the front end. Ended up replacing my front u joints and pulled my diff cover to check things out when the U joints didn't make a difference. It ended up being a snap ring in my transfer case that had broken and the yoke was sliding in and out. The popping was because it was skipping a tooth internally. We figured it out because it didn't make the noise in 4wd. It only skipped when turning for some reason, never going straight forward.
88 YJ, D30, D35, 4.10's, 4.6L Stroker, MPFI, Skyjacker 2.5" Lift, 33's
00 XJ, HP30, Front Truss, WJ Knuckles, High Steer, 3 link, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromo's, IRO Leafs, 4.56's, Rebuilt 4.0, JK Rubi Wheels, 35's

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2017, 10:25:50 AM »
Thanks.  Gives me some direction I needed.  I was thinking about the track bar last week when I checked the torque and read about people snapping the bolts, and about having the frame end go soon after the axle end.  I had considered replacing the bolt with a stronger one anyway and had already ordered it.  I'll probably just replace the bar rather than mess around with just the one end and that should eliminate the joints at both ends as a possibility.

As far as the drive shaft goes, when I checked it before it seemed like there was a normal level of play from the diff (assuming I'm getting that right) but I didn't notice anything with the joints.  That was close to a month ago.  I didn't look at it this weekend because I wasn't thinking in that direction. I'll take a closer look at it again.  Aside from grabbing and shaking and twisting it is there anything else I can do to check to see if it is drive shaft related?

This morning on the way to work I had a chance to drive around on some loose surfaces so I messed around for a minute in 4wd.  For what it's worth it makes the same sounds in 4H and 4L as it does in 2H. 

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2017, 10:29:24 AM »
Have someone with the Jeep running and parked, move the steering wheel lock to lock and look at every Tie Rod End and most importantly the track bar ends and look for excessive movement.  If none is shown, then have them move the steering wheel back and forth in a jerking motion.  That should show movement if any is present.

(John Wayne)

Online Gorilla_Skater

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2017, 10:36:11 AM »
You say it happens when the Jeep is stationary? Just by turning the wheel? If yes, then it has to be steering. Maybe a tie rod end? Steering box?

If it makes the noise when stationary, that makes me think it's not the driveshaft, but you could remove the front drive shaft to eliminate it from the equation.

Another possibility is a sway bar link?
1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's

Offline MasterDrazhar

• Honorary Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 'F' with me? I'll STAB YA!
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2017, 11:17:26 AM »
I'm thinking steering box...  If it's happening multiple times through one full left to right turn from lock to lock, then again multiple times back the other way, I'm thinking steering box...

Or a really dry/trashed TRE that's grabbing and letting go multiple times throughout the throw...
Profile for Team_Oscar

Quote from: Sweet Cheeks Bitty
Nasty and ill-tempered?  I'll show you nasty and ill-tempered you old pinworm...

Quote from: Theo Maassen
Optimists are badly informed Pessimists.[/quote

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2017, 06:11:41 AM »
I'll get under there and do a more thorough check of everything. I'll let you know what I find.
Anything specific to look at in the steering box area while I'm under there?

Offline Space Shuttle Commander

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2017, 07:50:35 AM »
Heres what I do if I have a noise that is pissing me off.

Assuming you have a very flat surface the size of your jeep, and 4 good jack stands. jack the jeep up and put both axles on jack stands. start up the jeep and put it in gear. slowly get out of the jeep and listen for the noise. this only works if you believe its drive train related.

keep your hair face and arms away from spinning components.
Sometimes I get to drive Becca's Jeep

**** ALAN TASTE GOOD  ****

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2017, 08:25:21 PM »
Got a chance to take a look today again.  I looked more closely at everything as the wheel was turned lock to lock then had it turned in a sawing motion and looked again.  The only thing I noticed was that the steering box seems to have some play in it and that could be where the noise is coming from but I'm having difficulty pinpointing it exactly.  I don't have enough experience to know if what I'm looking at is the cause or is just normal.  Nothing else in the front showed any unusual movement. 

I did find that the rear sway bar end link bushings all seem shot.  All 4 ends have some slop, I'll plan on replacing those.  If there are any suggestions for replacements I'm shopping.  My goal is to upgrade in quality slightly from stock when possible right now.

Online Gorilla_Skater

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2017, 08:34:57 PM »

I did find that the rear track bar end link bushings all seem shot.  All 4 ends have some slop, I'll plan on replacing those.  If there are any suggestions for replacements I'm shopping.  My goal is to upgrade in quality slightly from stock when possible right now.

Do you mean the rear sway bar, not track bar? The track bar is connected to the fram on one side and the axle on the other. The sway, or anti-roll bar is connected to the links, which both connect to the axle.

If you have time tomorrow, take a run up to Hartland where we're doing Jeep 101. There will be plenty second sets of eyes and ears to check it out.

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2017, 08:55:35 PM »
Yep.  Sway bar.  I corrected it above.  Thanks for catching that.
Hartland would be great but I'll be out of state for the day.  But that's about where I'm at, ready for another set of eyes and ears on it.