Author Topic: Shop Recommendation for tires?  (Read 1034 times)

Offline JBert

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
Shop Recommendation for tires?
« on: May 10, 2017, 06:25:02 AM »
I'm looking to put new tires on the YJ - don't we have a member with a shop that we try to support?
-Justin-
88 YJ - 05 WK

Online Gorilla_Skater

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Shop Recommendation for tires?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 06:39:56 AM »
Matt at Pro-tech in Middletown and Portland. They put tires on Geoff's car and just did the brakes and bearings on my truck. They do great work.

His board name is Lucasmagoos
1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0L V10 Tow Rig

"Teamwork makes the Dream Work!"

Offline JBert

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 06:41:39 AM »
Matt at Pro-tech in Middletown and Portland. They put tires on Geoff's car and just did the brakes and bearings on my truck. They do great work.

His board name is Lucasmagoos

Perfect, thanks!
-Justin-
88 YJ - 05 WK

Offline XtraChrisP

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
  • Yup
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:29:05 AM »
Not to bash the shop, but I've had a couple people tell me in the last couple months that they've brought their cars there and got them back damaged, or almost worse than they went in. Hopefully jeep peeps get special treatment
2005 LJ Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 5.5 Clayton Long Arm, 1.25" JKS body lift, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ

Offline JK4JandK

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 10:09:57 AM »
Have not had any issues with Matt or his crew.
they have done work for me twice now, and no complaints whatsoever.
"Wit is educated insolence."   Aristotle

Isish Diplomacy: The art of telling someone to go to Hell and having them looking forward to the trip.

"I have been trying to get out of High School.....since I got out of High School!"

"You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem."   Eldridge Cleaver

Yup.....definitely your circus, and your monkeys

Offline MasterDrazhar

• Honorary Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 'F' with me? I'll STAB YA!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 10:52:41 AM »
Have not had any issues with Matt or his crew.
they have done work for me twice now, and no complaints whatsoever.

Ditto...

Chris,   Do you know if they brought it to their attention?  Matt's always answered my PM's, and Rodger at the Portland shop has always been responsive, I'm sure given the chance they'd correct any issues.
Profile for Team_Oscar

Quote from: Sweet Cheeks Bitty
Nasty and ill-tempered?  I'll show you nasty and ill-tempered you old pinworm...

Quote from: Theo Maassen
Optimists are badly informed Pessimists.[/quote

Offline SJJEEP

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • CAR KILLER
    • sjjeep.com
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 11:23:01 AM »
They did a front end alignment for me.
Did a Great job.
God bless America

Online Gorilla_Skater

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 11:33:47 AM »
Which tires are you looking at Justin? I'm going to use these Goodyears for one more season, then look for new tires next year.
1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's

Offline JBert

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 01:56:22 PM »
Which tires are you looking at Justin? I'm going to use these Goodyears for one more season, then look for new tires next year.

Going with Dick Cepek Extreme Countrys.  My Duratracs won't fair well at MM this year, so I'm just going to bit the bullet and get them now.
-Justin-
88 YJ - 05 WK

Offline Space Shuttle Commander

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 03:56:40 PM »
dont even bother with the dick cepek tires, better off with the mickey thompson mtz or the bfg mud terrain
Sometimes I get to drive Becca's Jeep

**** ALAN TASTE GOOD  ****

Offline XtraChrisP

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
  • Yup
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 06:28:54 PM »
X2 on the MTZs assuming you're willing to pay for them, they ain't cheap, but other than low traction in rain I've got no complaints
2005 LJ Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 5.5 Clayton Long Arm, 1.25" JKS body lift, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ

Offline Right Wing Curmudgeon!!!

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 09:03:13 PM »
Didn't Tina cut 2 sidewalls one weekend on Cepeks?
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 09:04:35 PM »
Justin - what size are you looking at?  Is the YJ your daily driver?

I'm a fan of the BFG KM2 M/T's - they are great on the trail, but wear extremely well on pavement...

I've heard some good feedback about the service at Pro-tech in Middletown and Portland...  Matt at Pro-Tech sponsored last years Great American Jeep Rally and sponsored the celebrity guest Ian Johnson to be there. 
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline The Navy Commander

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • Shaq City is the place to rock. Semper Fi diddy
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 09:51:26 PM »
The Cepeks were decent tires, but they wear fast on pavement, then again they were free so who's complaining.
If I had to do it over again the MTR's were excellent, but my Coopers SST's have given me the best bang for the buck................
Superwinch EPi 9.0 Detours Custom Bumpers/Dropkicks, 3.5" RE Superflex Lift, 1" Daystar Body Lift, 15" Cragar Street Lock D, 33" Dick Cepek Crushers,
Solid Axle Diff Covers, Jeep Medic Belly Up Transmission/Engine Skid Plate Combo, Other Kirby+Skid Row stuff

Blessed are those who, in the face of death, concern themselves only with the front sight post...

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 10:21:09 PM »
The Cepeks were decent tires, but they wear fast on pavement, then again they were free so who's complaining.
If I had to do it over again the MTR's were excellent, but my Coopers SST's have given me the best bang for the buck................

Dave - the irony - I got a call at work from your buddies at Tire Depot in Bristol today about their air compressor!  If I remember correctly - they are how you ended up with the Navy Commander screen name a few years ago  :rotflmao:
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline bigdaddymack51

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 05:27:20 AM »
Ive heard and read nothing but good about DC tires in general . The Extremes got great traction reviews.  MTZs are noted for side wall cuts.   Just my opinion .  FjR68

Offline JBert

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 06:56:03 AM »
Justin - what size are you looking at?  Is the YJ your daily driver?

I'm a fan of the BFG KM2 M/T's - they are great on the trail, but wear extremely well on pavement...

I've heard some good feedback about the service at Pro-tech in Middletown and Portland...  Matt at Pro-Tech sponsored last years Great American Jeep Rally and sponsored the celebrity guest Ian Johnson to be there. 

Yea, the YJ is the daily when I don't have the service truck.  The other option was the General X3s.  I'm trying to keep the price down as much as possible.
-Justin-
88 YJ - 05 WK

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 06:59:26 AM »
Like my BFG KM2 M/T's
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline JBert

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 07:11:15 AM »
Ive heard and read nothing but good about DC tires in general . The Extremes got great traction reviews.  MTZs are noted for side wall cuts.   Just my opinion .  FjR68

That was my reasoning behind wanting to go that route.  Lot's of great reviews, including a few 4 wheel magazine tests that did well.
-Justin-
88 YJ - 05 WK

Offline RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 09:26:32 AM »
As far as a daily tire that you can wheel, I have had zero traction complaints with my duratrec's. They seem to go wherever I point them and are pretty quiet on the road. They don't do great in thick soupy mud, but they aren't a mud tire so I didn't expect them to. My one complaint I do have is that I can't keep them balanced. Gets pretty frustrating when I am in traffic on the highway and can't pick my own speed. They do great in the snow also which is nice. Most of the M/t tires won't do well at all on ice or hard pack snow.

If I didn't have the balancing issues I would have zero complaints about these tires and recommend them to anyone who puts a lot of miles on but likes to hit the trails on the weekends.
88 YJ, D30, D35, 4.10's, 4.6L Stroker, MPFI, Skyjacker 2.5" Lift, 33's
00 XJ, HP30, Front Truss, WJ Knuckles, High Steer, 3 link, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromo's, IRO Leafs, 4.56's, Rebuilt 4.0, JK Rubi Wheels, 35's

Offline MasterDrazhar

• Honorary Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 'F' with me? I'll STAB YA!
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 10:50:50 AM »
.....My one complaint I do have is that I can't keep them balanced.....

You try Dyna Beads or Airsoft BBs?
Profile for Team_Oscar

Quote from: Sweet Cheeks Bitty
Nasty and ill-tempered?  I'll show you nasty and ill-tempered you old pinworm...

Quote from: Theo Maassen
Optimists are badly informed Pessimists.[/quote

Offline RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 10:57:04 AM »
.....My one complaint I do have is that I can't keep them balanced.....

You try Dyna Beads or Airsoft BBs?

They were originally static balanced, worked for like 20k miles before they started to come out of balance. I put airsoft BB's in and it got a little better but still was not balanced. I had them static balanced again and they wouldnt balance so I left the weights on and put 8 oz of BB's in them again. With the weights and the beads it is better, but I still cant drive between 55-60 without a front tire coming out of balance or over 75 without a rear tire coming out of balance.
88 YJ, D30, D35, 4.10's, 4.6L Stroker, MPFI, Skyjacker 2.5" Lift, 33's
00 XJ, HP30, Front Truss, WJ Knuckles, High Steer, 3 link, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromo's, IRO Leafs, 4.56's, Rebuilt 4.0, JK Rubi Wheels, 35's

Online Gorilla_Skater

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 11:00:46 AM »
How are they coming out of balance? are they throwing weights or spinning on the rim?

Offline XtraChrisP

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
  • Yup
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 11:26:50 AM »
That design is notoriously hard to balance. I've talked to a couple Goodyear people and they said that sometimes the tires themselves are bad and nearly impossible to balance, but if you get a good balancable set they are a nice tire, great traction in any terrain. Maybe they balance easier with a wheel larger than 15"?

Offline SJJEEP

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • CAR KILLER
    • sjjeep.com
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 12:19:28 PM »
It might not be your tires.......
God bless America