Author Topic: which oil you using?  (Read 819 times)

Offline markus68

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
which oil you using?
« on: May 10, 2017, 06:06:30 PM »
Wondering if you guys are running synthetic or reg oil? My jK has always been OEM changed but maybe I should upgrade to synthetic, is it worth it?
thanks  guys
Mark

Offline XtraChrisP

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
  • Yup
Re: which oil you using?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 06:27:31 PM »
Pennzoil regular (non-synthetic) in my LJ. Sometimes I spring for the "high mileage" if it's on the shelves
2005 LJ Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 5.5 Clayton Long Arm, 1.25" JKS body lift, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ

Offline markus68

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 07:06:49 PM »
ok thats the way I was thinking of going also.....just wondering if anyone was all about synthetic / amsoil etc........
Mark

Offline Paul'TheGuest'W

• Rock Crawler
  • uh-oh he posted another avatar.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:32:59 PM »
I use bulk 5w-30 from the pump at work.
OMG, this guys avatar may get me in trouble at work.  Not the personal use of company property, I'm safe there.  Its his avatar that's going to get me in trouble.  Phew its gone, now I can get back to screwing off on company time!!

Offline RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 07:50:00 PM »
I put Castrol gtx in my Jeep and my girlfriends Jeep. High mileage as they both have over 200k on the engines. Haven't had any issues, but then again, that's the idea of any motor oil. Make sure you use good filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
88 YJ, D30, D35, 4.10's, 4.6L Stroker, MPFI, Skyjacker 2.5" Lift, 33's
00 XJ, HP30, Front Truss, WJ Knuckles, High Steer, 3 link, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromo's, IRO Leafs, 4.56's, Rebuilt 4.0, JK Rubi Wheels, 35's

Offline harryhood

• Administrator
  • Rock Crawler
    • 72 scamp
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 08:15:11 PM »
whatever name brand oil that is on sale and WIX filters.
"it's like you're playing the triangle"

Offline Right Wing Curmudgeon!!!

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 09:00:16 PM »
The 4.0 does not like most synthetic oils.  I use Castrol synthetic blend which meets the spec for the 4.0.

The 3.8 and 3.6 are probably ok for the synthetic but Im not up on minivan engines.  :rotflmao:
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 09:10:59 PM »
I use non-synthetic dino oil in my 4.0 TJ (previous owner warned against full synthetic)  I use Semi-Synthetic in the 3.8 JK (seems to use a quart between 6K oil changes though...)  I used semi-synthetic high mileage on my old 4.0 YJ for no reason...
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline markus68

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 09:17:40 PM »
wow....great information
thanks again
Mark

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 09:37:17 PM »
wow....great information
thanks again

Do a search on this site - there is a whole tread dedicated to oil and oil filters...  A really informative read!  Seriously - I learned quite a bit from it a few years ago
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

Offline Groundhog

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • "Stand Up, Speak Out & Shoot Back!"
    • http://www.aardvarkaudiodj.com
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 10:08:19 PM »
This is one of those questions that sparks brand loyalty big time and every opinion under the sun.

And I'm no different.

I've used Valvoline oil in every vehicle I've ever owned - from the beginning.
Once my vehicles hit the 80,000 mark, I switch to high mileage formula.

The exception is my mini van. I have the 3.8 Chrysler V6 in it - so I did an experiment after watching one of those how-to shows on Power Nation.

The techs claimed Royal Purple gave better gas mileage and more performance through less frictional losses. What convinced me was when they took an engine that had been running Royal Purple and drained the oil and ran it until it seized. They did the same with an engine running conventional oil.

The Royal Purple engine ran an extremely long time compared to the other engine. So I figured I'd try Royal Purple for the hell of it.

There was no arguing the fact that on my Vermont trips, immediately after changing to Royal Purple, I was getting 3 miles per gallon more. Horsepower-wise, I have no idea conclusively, but seat of the pants acceleration, the van hauls ass.

I tried RP in the Jeep and it started every oil seal leaking on the engine - so I decided to save the money and went back to Valvoline.

One down side to the synthetic oils, at least in my experience no matter what vehicle I ran it in - you'd better be checking your oil levels every other fill up because the shit burns off under hard driving. I push my engines hard and I am consistently down one or two quarts if I don't watch it. I asked a few of my friends at dealerships to confirm or deny my findings and they both said that since synthetics came on the market and people are going longer between changes, they are seeing more blown engines, (and claims for warranty replacements) due to inadequate oil levels being maintained, NOT from synthetic oils being crappy.

"There is a deep laid plot against your civil & religious liberties. Your golden days are at an end. My heart bleeds for you, America."
- George Whitfield, 1714-1770

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 10:50:30 PM »
I swore by Mobil 1 Synthetic in my 1985 Oldsmobile 442 and after that my 1998 Dodge Dakota...  The one most important reason for the synthetic handles over heating better than conventional oil!  I had a stuck thermostat on my 442 and drove it from Trumbull to Manchester with antifreeze spraying on the windshield before pulling over to swap it out!  - conventional oil would have cooked and seized the engine   

Offline King of the Hill

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • The best beer in the world is the one in your hand
    • Jeeps on the Brain
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 09:46:38 AM »
Synthetic oil is SOOOO much better than Dino oil. 

We tested our bearings in our Test Lab at Torrington Company and the synthetic was always hands down better than Dino oil.  If you look at it under an electron microscope, it looks like bee bees, everything is spherical.  If you do the same with dino oil, there are all kinds of shapes in there.  The synthetic base will handle temperature better before breaking down.  One down side of synthetic is that it will leak out of a smaller orifice than Dino oil will.  I run synthetic in everything until it leaks too bad then switch over to QS Dino oil.  Quaker State tends to have more paraffin it than other oils and leaks less than all the other oils I have tried on my old and tired test fleet. 

I usually change my Dino oils at 3000 and my synthetic oils at 5000 miles. 

Go full synthetic, there are no specs for how much synthetic will be in a blend.
75 CJ-5        Plow Jeep Still for Sale - $800 w/4way plow
77 CJ-5        Red Jeep - 401, T18, Locked F&R
77 CJ-7        Sons Jeep - Built from Race Jeep remnants
79 CJ-7        Q-Track - Aging gracefully in the woods(well, not much left)
84 CJ-7        Rock Jeep - BYS  (Big Yellow Shitbox) on one tons
95 Wrangler  Sons commuter Jeep - bone stock 4 popper
97 TJ           Black Jeep on Slinkys
04 Grand Cherokee Overland - Wife's Jeep,  Too nice for me!

Offline Gorilla_Skater

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 09:52:14 AM »
I use Mobil 1 High Mileage with Mobil 1 filters in both the Jeep and the truck. You can get the combo relatively cheap when Advance Auto has specials and you buy the 5 qt jug.

This is all based on the info in this thread... http://forum.northeastjeep.org/index.php?topic=22042.0
1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0L V10 Tow Rig

"Teamwork makes the Dream Work!"

Offline XJRV-Maki

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • salt no carry
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 10:08:17 AM »
Synthetic is no good for the 4.0?  :redface:

I've also been using Mobil 1 high mileage 10w30 for the past 15 years. I use the larger 301 (mustang) filters, either Mobil M-301 or K&N HP-3001. And I change the oil twice a year, once in the spring and again in the fall, about 5k-6k miles.

Offline Right Wing Curmudgeon!!!

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 01:25:37 PM »
Synthetic is no good for the 4.0?  :redface:

I've also been using Mobil 1 high mileage 10w30 for the past 15 years. I use the larger 301 (mustang) filters, either Mobil M-301 or K&N HP-3001. And I change the oil twice a year, once in the spring and again in the fall, about 5k-6k miles.

The Mobil One High Mileage has a different API spec as the Mobile One Synthetic.  Ask Dave about using Mobil One in a 4.0.  Killed his engine. 

4.0 needs API SE or SF

Mobil 1 is API   SN,SM,SL,SJ

Mobil 1 High Milage API      CF
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Offline The Navy Commander

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • Shaq City is the place to rock. Semper Fi diddy
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 03:22:12 PM »
Correct...direct from the engineering minds at Chrysler motors, the flat solid tappet cams do not like syn oil unless it carries an API SM endorsment on the bottle if the sunburst logothat looks like teeth..Think chewing up your engine...also I've heard Rotella T6?...believe me I learned the HARD way....even some of the blends don't carry it...also a two stage oil filter... the first sign is metallic mud on the oil pan plug...early signs of cam lobe failure...small oil passage ports in the head also are an issue.
Because most engines switched to a roller cam design, and we can talk about that later...the oil companies reduced the anti wear additives in their oil formulas...mainly to help extend auto emission compontents...another issue that can be discussed later.... the reason that Jeep maintains the flat  tappet cams is torque versus horsepower....so look for SM and Chrysler MS-6395 spec....
Here endith the lesson
Superwinch EPi 9.0 Detours Custom Bumpers/Dropkicks, 3.5" RE Superflex Lift, 1" Daystar Body Lift, 15" Cragar Street Lock D, 33" Dick Cepek Crushers,
Solid Axle Diff Covers, Jeep Medic Belly Up Transmission/Engine Skid Plate Combo, Other Kirby+Skid Row stuff

Blessed are those who, in the face of death, concern themselves only with the front sight post...

Offline markus68

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 04:10:37 PM »
I'll do a search for the oil n filter write up... thanks again
Mark

Offline MassXJ

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Offline Mr. Softy

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
Top tip, Napa brand oil is the exact same thing sitting in the valvoline bottle next to it.... and their filters are wix rebranded as well, gold is oem with all metal inside not cardboard. (Product of working there for a few years)
I have no idea what I'm doing... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Offline bigdaddymack51

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 05:46:34 AM »
Im a Pennzoil guy , everything I have runs on it.  Three vehicles in the last 39 yrs.  219k/185k/145k . Speaks for it self.   My CJ-5 runs on Valvoline " VR-1" simply because it has the highest concentration of "ZINC" . Our flat tappet cam shafts need the zinc in the oil to survive.   In my case , the cam lift and valve spring rate requires me to either add zinc or buy the Valvoline.  Most people have a preference to a brand of oil simply because thats what Dad used or a friend uses. Being in the automotive world for ever Ive seen the difference on the inside of engines that the brand and type of oil has made.  That is why I have a comment today.  Id recommend an oil with high level of zinc , plan on adding a ratio of zinc to the oil you choose , or buy a roller cam and lifter set.  Then there is the BS about filters , all metal Vs. cardboard. People dont have a clue what they are talking about . I would ask anyone of you that has had a filter fail because the end caps of the (paper) element came unglued or deteriorated step forward.  They are so worried about the cardboard ends but never bitch about the paper element.  Find out the "particulate" rating of the filter , thats the only thing you should worry about !  And You Can Take That To The Bank as they say !   

That is all .    FjR68

Offline markus68

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2017, 08:06:44 PM »
anyone run amsoil in their JK? or just stick to mopar brand
Mark

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2017, 10:00:09 PM »
Mark - in the JK (not a flat tappet camshaft) you can run anything you want!  All the oil concerns in some of those links were for those of us in a TJ/YJ/XJ/MJ/CJ Jeeps  :cool:

Offline markus68

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 08:03:58 PM »
ahhh perfect...
Mark