Author Topic: Trailer Tires, Check them  (Read 237 times)

Offline Space Shuttle Commander

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
Trailer Tires, Check them
« on: May 15, 2017, 11:47:39 AM »
After getting home from PA, the trailer needed some service. took the brakes all apart to resolve an electrical issue. after replacing some parts, I went to put the tires back on the friggan things were darn right fawked.

the tread had cracks running the entire diameter. WTF

went to tire depot, and got 4 brand new tires. When talking to the owner about the situation since the tires were only 3 years old he asked what I usually haul. Told him primarily the jeep and that the jeep wheighs 5000 and the trailer about 2

His best guess is that I was too close to the load rating, since they were only rated at 1800 each

Im now running 4 225 75 15 10 ply radial trailer tires rated at 2870 per tire

Fawk trailers they suck
Sometimes I get to drive Becca's Jeep

**** ALAN TASTE GOOD  ****

Offline Right Wing Curmudgeon!!!

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
Re: Trailer Tires, Check them
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 02:15:43 PM »
I just had to replace mine the other day due to similar issues.   :swear_mad:  Since I have 14 inch tires my selection is limited.  I did however discover that Goodyear is now making trailer tires in the U.S again.  I pulled the trigger on them and ordered them from Tire Rack.  They are Load Range D rated for 2040  LBS at 65 PSI.  Its pretty stiff tire and has a higher speed rating than a standard Bias or Radial in LR C, which is only 1760 a tire at 50 PSI.  I've been using my trailer pretty regular down here due to bringing my tractor to and from the lot.

BTW, trailer tires are only good for 5 years, depending on use and storage.  I've only been averaging 3 years before issues arise, I hope these expensive Goodyears hold up better.

Tom, which tires did you end up with?  How much?
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Offline ycatS75

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • A fart is a wish your butt makes
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 10:07:50 AM »
When not in use, do you put the trailer on blocks or leave it sitting on the tires? I'm trying to figure out the best way to store it when not in use. We also have a slanted property so that is another obstacle to take into the equation.
'06 TJ built by SteveB
'15 JK Rubicon Hard Rock

"You gonna do something or just stand there and bleed?"

Offline redtj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 01:13:13 PM »
Store on plywood with covers to protect  from  uv
If you are going to store off trailer air down tires and store in cool dry place
2002 TJ  35"km2  d44 locked 8.8 spool 4.10
2011 GMC 2500HD  tow vehicle

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 01:16:52 PM »
Store on plywood with covers to protect  from  uv
If you are going to store off trailer air down tires and store in cool dry place

Beat me to it.  ^^^This^^^

You can buy tire covers on amazon.
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

(John Wayne)

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 01:35:31 PM »
On stands so you can roll the hubs once in a while to avoid spotting the bearings.....
Cover the tires from the sun.
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 02:16:57 PM »
Its shocking the amount of trailers down here.  They don't require registration or plates down here so no inspections, and anything goes.  I saw an 18 foot trailer in the ditch the other day.  Both axles were torn off due to excess rust and the deck was like swiss cheese!  Can't tell you how often I see abandons on the side of the road. :rotflmao:

(John Wayne)