Author Topic: TJ diesel conversion  (Read 297 times)

Offline HankD

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
TJ diesel conversion
« on: May 24, 2017, 06:18:58 AM »
What's the deal in CT with emissions if you were to swap to a diesel?? Seems underpowered 4 cyl TJs are a dime a dozen, perfect for diesel swap!
nada! Shopping for parts for new build.

Online RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: TJ diesel conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 07:04:18 AM »
I assume if your vehicle still has to go through emissions than it will still have to have as good as or better numbers than it needed to have in the year it was new, regardless of what engine is in it. Start with an under-powered 4-cylinder YJ and you don't have to worry about any of that. No emissions after the vehicle is 25 years old.
88 YJ, D30, D35, 4.10's, 4.6L Stroker, MPFI, Skyjacker 2.5" Lift, 33's
00 XJ, HP30, Front Truss, WJ Knuckles, High Steer, 3 link, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromo's, IRO Leafs, 4.56's, Rebuilt 4.0, JK Rubi Wheels, 35's

Offline Miley Cyrus

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 06:12:33 PM »
So for any engine swap you need the engine to be same model year or newer, the issues that arise are you can't put a 4bt or 6bt into it legally because of epa, they don't allow using heavy duty class motors in light duty chassis. The only options would be use a Mercedes or vw diese really which they have conversions for. The only way to get a Cummins into a tj and have it emissions legal and register able is to make it a composite vehicle. You need to "build vehicle" with parts from multiple vehicles but you need either titles for vehicles you got parts from or.... Have receipts showing vin numbers of vehicles you got them from, these are for the major components such as axles, hood, fenders, motor, trans, body, frame, trunk, doors. You have to take 2 photos of the vehicle fill out an app schedule an appointment in Wethersfield and tow the vehicle there, they will check for the requirements set by state for things such as brakes and height width fenders lights all that junk and then you do emission based on the motor used. They will give it a bin number then and after its registered it never has to go through emissions again.

I've looked into this thoroughly because I want a 6bt/nv5600 tj so bad

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=804&q=244898

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/R-157.pdf

Online MassXJ

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 07:45:47 PM »
get a lot easier if your run full width axles from the donor
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Back to work.  Thank you!

Offline beaker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • chillin and grillin
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 07:51:39 PM »
Cheaper to swap a v8 in.  Including the gas to drive it for the next 3 years.
"Abe Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal." Unknown

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Miley Cyrus

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 02:05:41 PM »
Cheaper but not as jeep kool to me , easiest way is to do to yj and just swap tj parts in if that's what you like, round heads or dash, dash would be tricky but everything is doable with a little help from my friends mr welder and ms angle grinder