Author Topic: Doing ball joints on a GM 10 bolt  (Read 132 times)

Offline Greenhorn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
Doing ball joints on a GM 10 bolt
« on: May 24, 2017, 07:21:18 PM »
To put this back together, is it necessary to take the entire thing apart? (spindle hub knuckle)
I mean.. Jorden still has the spindle on the knuckle, meaning the axle has to be in the tube..... I don't see how it's going to go together.   IDK how he even got it apart like this!?  :eek:  Bearings and upper ball joint was toast so I can see it all crumbling apart but he's getting pissed trying to put it back together again...lol

He has the ball joints in the knuckle spindle on the knuckle trying to get it together with the axle in....omfg  lol

I'm thinking the spindle has to come off then put the knuckle on the yoke without the axle being in. put the axle in bolt the spindle on etc etc

Whats the scoop with these? I never did one of these.. :rolleyes:
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. -Thomas Jefferson

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Doing ball joints on a GM 10 bolt
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 05:40:15 AM »
Randy and I pulled Yoda apart last night. Balls disconnected from knuckle, Remove top ball, pull knuckle down, push axle out, remove knuckle from lower ball. Our first time as well. Assuming reverse order to get it all back together. Will know more tonight...
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline Greenhorn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Doing ball joints on a GM 10 bolt
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 01:17:29 PM »
  I haven’t been home to see how he made out. I took something from this just the same.
  My ball joint knowledge was always only limited to my jeep.
Coming from a manufacturing engineering environment I quickly saw the D30 D44 knuckle and ball joint design sucks royal. Because of machining tolerance stacking and the way the two components (the ball joints) locate everything together the ball joints are destined to pull or push against one another at final assembly.  There are tolerances on reaming of the tapered holes and the face locations of the ball joint holes on the Yoke of the ‘C” and the production machined “crappy forging” that make for horrible location. The upper Jeep ball joint actually has axial movement built into it to accommodate this.
  Bigger trucks with better ball joints have either adjustable ball joints, OR (like the 10 bolt) a threaded sleeve in the yoke to adjust for this.
So as previously thought, it’s not that automotive engineers missed something,
 It’s just that they dumbed down and simplified the jeep.
Something I just learned. :)
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. -Thomas Jefferson