Author Topic: Rocker Guard Painting Options  (Read 612 times)

Offline Horn

• Probie
Rocker Guard Painting Options
« on: May 27, 2017, 08:37:42 AM »
Have them powder coated or paint them myself?
The rocker guards I've been scoping out are on sale this weekend so I'll make a decision in the next day or so about this.
I have a replacement top ready to go on the LJ and the color is changing from the original gray to black.  Means now I'm thinking of painting my fender flares black as well. 
Thoughts about getting the guards bare and painting them and the fender flares at the same time with the same paint?  My only guidelines would be something that isn't glossy and that I can either spray can or brush on.

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Rocker Guard Painting Options
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 09:37:41 AM »
I prefer painting them myself and maintaining after they get scuffed on the trail. Powder Coating bubbles and rusts from underneath. All you need is a crack or void, moister gets under it...
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline CitizenwithJeep

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »
Mine need touch ups after every hard ride. Go with spray paint. You do brake clean, then primer, then rustoleum
'15 JK Sahara with stuff bought and bolted on

Offline Groundhog

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • "Stand Up, Speak Out & Shoot Back!"
    • http://www.aardvarkaudiodj.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 04:40:48 PM »
I agree with the paint it yourself option.
Mine came powder coated. One season in the calcium chloride and the rust started immediately at every weld joint. Had to take a wire brush and primer to every nook and cranny, then hit them up with some gloss black paint.

Might as well just save the dollars and paint them yourself from the get go.
I describe powder coating as a shell-like finish similar to the coating on M&M's. Looks great on the outside, hiding shit underneath. If we lived in AZ, I'd powder coat all day - but in the northeast, rattle can baby. Learned a similar lesson with POR 15. Great stuff, just not here.
"There is a deep laid plot against your civil & religious liberties. Your golden days are at an end. My heart bleeds for you, America."
- George Whitfield, 1714-1770

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 11:25:11 PM »
Paint!  Powder coat sucks for rock rails bumpers etc...

99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »
Thanks! I ordered them bare and I'll paint them.

Offline harryhood

• Administrator
  • Rock Crawler
    • 72 scamp
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 06:18:49 PM »
I did rustolium and then rolled some bedliner with a high nap roller. It adds some texture which helps cover the inevitable rock rash.
"it's like you're playing the triangle"

Offline ycatS75

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • A fart is a wish your butt makes
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 04:49:11 AM »
 The bedliner also doubles as a non - slip surface of you use them as a step to get into your vehicle.  ;)
'06 TJ built by SteveB
'15 JK Rubicon Hard Rock

"You gonna do something or just stand there and bleed?"

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 09:12:34 AM »
I ordered my Metal Cloak rock sliders bare metal - make sure to use a lot of brake clean or acetone to wipe them down good to remove the oils they spray to keep the bare metal from flash rusting.  I use Rust-Oleum etching primer and Semi Gloss black to coat.  I've done spray on bed liner for past projects and found it tends to hold dirt and road salt and eventually rust through.  Now I stick with the semi gloss Rust-Oleum for my bumpers, tube fenders, and rockers.  I keep a can in the Jeep and touch up when needed...

I use skate board tape on the top of the rock sliders and rear bumper for traction  :wink:
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 05:59:26 PM »
I agree. Paint is the way to go. More work now but easier in the long run. I use wax & grease remover from a auto body supply store vs break clean so there's no chance it has a chemical that will react with the paint. I'll soak a prep pad with w&g and scuff the bare metal really well. Then wipe down with w&g on a rag. Finally a tack cloth before etching primer and paint.
'16 JKR, Rock Krawler 3.5" Long Arm Off-Road Pro, 35" Nitto Trail Graplers

Build thread http://forum.northeastjeep.org/index.php?topic=38405.new#new

Online Gorilla_Skater

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 06:15:08 PM »
x2 on the wax & grease remover that Ken mentioned.

The last thing I tried was windex, and it the Rustoleum would crinkle.
1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0L V10 Tow Rig

"Teamwork makes the Dream Work!"

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 06:26:46 PM »
Sounds good. I'll clean, prep, and paint. Going to be later this summer before I get to it which will give me some time to do some practice and experimentation before doing the actual pieces.
I was planning to do something about grip. The existing steps get used on both sides and I ordered guards with tube steps knowing they'd be needed. I like the skateboard tape idea.

Online Gorilla_Skater

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 06:38:49 PM »
Since your flares are stock plastic, you have to use paint that will adhere and flex. I have had great results with Krylon Fusion. You can use it to paint metal to. When I touched up my sliders and flares, I just masked everything except for the slides and flares and used Krylon Fusion for all of it.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/

1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0L V10 Tow Rig

"Teamwork makes the Dream Work!"

Offline RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 08:21:20 PM »
X2 on the Krylon for the flares. I use rustolium on all my metal parts that may need a touch up down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
88 YJ, D30, D35, 4.10's, 4.6L Stroker, MPFI, Skyjacker 2.5" Lift, 33's
00 XJ, HP30, Front Truss, WJ Knuckles, High Steer, 3 link, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromo's, IRO Leafs, 4.56's, Rebuilt 4.0, JK Rubi Wheels, 35's

Offline Mr. Softy

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 08:39:39 PM »
For the flares, ive had great luck with adhesion promoter and actual trim paint. Got the, both from napa... all metal some satin black rustolem. Easy touch up and it blends in so over time it wont look like youve touched it up a few times...
I have no idea what I'm doing... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 05:34:55 PM »
Got them painted and today worked in getting them on. Turns out there's probably a good reason the directions suggest having 2 people to do it. I didn't feel like I was getting them as lined up as well as could have before drilling a lot of holes in the tub so I put it aside to come back to another day.

Any chance I can connect with someone else to help with the install? No rush, but I'd like another hand and eye on it before I start to drill.

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 06:02:40 PM »
What town do you live in?

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 06:32:51 PM »
Manchester

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 04:33:44 AM »
Manchester

That's not horribly far from me. When I can free up some time I'll let you know.

Offline XtraChrisP

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
  • Yup
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 08:57:12 AM »
I put something like skateboard grip tape on mine, works pretty well, just be cautious that if you "hop" out of the jeep and your clothes hit the grip tape they will get ruined over time. Plus the commonly stepped on spots will wear out and peel a bit
2005 LJ Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 5.5 Clayton Long Arm, 1.25" JKS body lift, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 05:44:18 PM »
Thanks for the tape tip. I'll watch the clothes on it. Already got the tape ready to go.

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 06:54:02 PM »
Do yourself a favor and run the tape all the way to each end!  Sometimes you may be using the back or front of the rail as a step stool to reach something on top of your Jeep.  If the grip tape is only where the door opening is you might find yourself slip off the non tape area and clock your rib cage on the edge of the tub on your way down  :eek:  Ask me how I know  :redface: