Author Topic: Thinking about Mods  (Read 1482 times)

Offline foldsct

• Probie
  • Mall Crawler
Thinking about Mods
« on: June 10, 2017, 06:10:11 PM »
So..............after seeing so many awesome Jeeps last night, we don't know what to do.  We're going to go slowly, as somehow the mortgage and all that stuff still needs to be paid........but what are things that should be done?  What is helpful to have done?

I'm looking at light guards, are they worth it?  (I know, start small.....)  Do I have to get a winch on the Jeep?  What are the smaller, less costly yet effective things I should look for or put on my radar for the Jeep?

Thanks for all your help!  And if I've put this in the wrong category, let me know!!

Offline MassXJ

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Thinking about Mods
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 06:13:19 PM »
skids
winch or diff
learn to drive
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Offline SJJEEP

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • CAR KILLER
    • sjjeep.com
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 06:36:04 PM »
You don't need light guards
I killed a car, and my light where fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God bless America

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 06:40:09 PM »
Bling dont get you on or off the trail. Get on the trail and wheel. Go from there. Skid protection to start.
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline foldsct

• Probie
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 06:54:22 PM »
Skid plates it is.  I went on Quadratec and there are pages and pages of them......... :frown:

Which ones should we be looking at first?

Offline MassXJ

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 07:17:57 PM »
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Offline Mr. Softy

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 08:59:38 PM »
Not sure if it applies to yer year JK but an evap can relocation is a must. As for skids, get the most heavy duty, thickest, and well built the budget will allow... i would recommend, engine and trans/t case then diff covers all being the top priority.
I have no idea what I'm doing... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Offline markus68

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 09:13:02 PM »
I have these and they are beefy....
Rock Hard 4x4 Full Belly Skid Package In Steel (Wrangler JK 2007+
comes with evap can protection as well

Eric at Offroad elements - Great guy and resource
Mark

Offline bigdaddymack51

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 05:34:54 AM »
I also hear JKs need a stabilizer relocate kit. Skids will protect all the good stuff under there. Then , maybe a traction device. A winch is a great addition and will get you out of trouble or assist someone else , but wheeling as a group we try to put a non winch person between two with a winch. When you want to increase tire size , thats where its gonna get costly because of other changes that will have to happen. Start slow , learn , have fun , do it again !   FjR68

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 06:52:28 AM »
X2 for the Rock Hard skids. They go on wicked easy and are well made. You don't need to get them all at the same time either.

https://www.offroadelements.com/rock-hard-4x4-full-belly-skid-package-in-steel-wrangler-jk-2007/
'16 JKR, Rock Krawler 3.5" Long Arm Off-Road Pro, 35" Nitto Trail Graplers

Build thread http://forum.northeastjeep.org/index.php?topic=38405.new#new

Offline DarthVader

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 08:22:44 AM »
Definitely skids....  We relocated the evap. canister over the winter and it was a PITA!!!  There was a leak or issue somewhere that set the Svc Eng light on and it took weeks at the shop to fix the problem.  Next Jeep, I will just put a skid over it and relocate when/if it broke.
'12 JKU Rubicon, 3 1/2" Clayton lift, 35" Goodyear MTRs, Fox shocks, Tom Woods drive shaft, JCR Rock Sliders, Poision Spyder front & rear bumpers, Warn winch

Offline foldsct

• Probie
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 08:38:05 AM »
Oh, I have to save a lot of pennies..........skids it is! :eek:

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 09:26:05 AM »
As everyone else recommends - skid plates.  Don't forget rocker skids/sliders!  I know it just protects the Jeep body/cosmetics, but it's a common place for 1st damage on the trail...

Even a set of factory Rubicon rock rails are better than nothing

99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline foldsct

• Probie
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 12:45:53 PM »
X2 for the Rock Hard skids. They go on wicked easy and are well made. You don't need to get them all at the same time either.

https://www.offroadelements.com/rock-hard-4x4-full-belly-skid-package-in-steel-wrangler-jk-2007/
That would be great to be able to get them a little bit at a time... we're going to do some more research!!! Pretty sure we're going this route though ..thank you all!!!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 07:07:16 PM »
Sliders are a must! I find myself forgetting about them seeing I have a Rubi. You can find Rubi take offs for decent price and they are a good start.

Offline beaker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • chillin and grillin
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 06:40:02 AM »
Skids only reduce damage.  If ya think your jeep will look the same after wheeling it.  Guess again.  You'll ding and dent little bits here and there.  Most Skids are gonna take damage if you sit your jeep on top of something. 

Budget boost and bigger tires are a good start.  Don't spend too much until ya try it.
"Abe Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal." Unknown

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline GreenJKU11

• Probie
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 11:24:55 AM »
Hey everyone, my name is Tyler and I'm brand new to joining the club and everything. I'm just starting out with my JKU and still paying it off while going to college. Other than what you all are saying with the skid plates and armor for the jeep I want to eventually upgrade my jeep to bigger tires and was thinking 33's. I just wanted to get some ideas for what to look for or where to look. Anyone have recommendations or opinions?

Offline foldsct

• Probie
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 11:32:37 AM »
As everyone else recommends - skid plates.  Don't forget rocker skids/sliders!  I know it just protects the Jeep body/cosmetics, but it's a common place for 1st damage on the trail...

So I should take off my sideboards and get these?  Is there a few of them available or are they expensive?  Thanks!!!

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 06:17:23 PM »
Hey everyone, my name is Tyler and I'm brand new to joining the club and everything. I'm just starting out with my JKU and still paying it off while going to college. Other than what you all are saying with the skid plates and armor for the jeep I want to eventually upgrade my jeep to bigger tires and was thinking 33's. I just wanted to get some ideas for what to look for or where to look. Anyone have recommendations or opinions?

33s should fit nicely. Are you keeping factory wheels? Don't forget you'll need a programmer to recalibrate tire size. My Nitto Trail Grapplers are amazing!

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 06:20:56 PM »

So I should take off my sideboards and get these?  Is there a few of them available or are they expensive?  Thanks!!!

Depending on what sideboards you have, not sure how many rocks they'll hold up to. Slider options are endless. I'm still using the factory Rubi one and knock on wood they've taken some good hits. Big problem with them is they don't protect the tub if you slide sideways into something.

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »
Added factory sliders off a Rubicon...  Not sure what year

The old Sahara steps looked like these...

99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline GreenJKU11

• Probie
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 10:41:30 PM »

33s should fit nicely. Are you keeping factory wheels? Don't forget you'll need a programmer to recalibrate tire size. My Nitto Trail Grapplers are amazing!

I might keep them, just to save cost a little and to be honest I wouldn't care all that much about what would happen to them. That's right I almost forgot about that, and thanks for the tip!!

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 04:51:12 AM »

I might keep them, just to save cost a little and to be honest I wouldn't care all that much about what would happen to them. That's right I almost forgot about that, and thanks for the tip!!

You might need spacers with factory wheels. If you get good quality and install them correctly you won't have any issues.

Offline GreenJKU11

• Probie
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 06:06:35 AM »
Ok cool! Thanks for the advice. If I could get to bigger tires and a 2.5" lift all correctly installed with the things needed, I could be happy for a while. So many mods and so little money  :cry: guess I better start saving all my pennies!

Offline 50willysM38

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 08:53:39 AM »
Pennies, limbs, organs, small children. Basically anything that could be sold on the black market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 TJ, 35" BFG Mud Terrains, 4 inch currie lift,
Stock Willys M38