Author Topic: Engine and trans question - removal  (Read 138 times)

Offline Groundhog

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • "Stand Up, Speak Out & Shoot Back!"
    • http://www.aardvarkaudiodj.com
Engine and trans question - removal
« on: August 05, 2017, 12:20:08 PM »
Hey guys and gals,

Quick mini-survey: Is it absolutely necessary to lower or drop the transmission and transfer case in order to pull the engine out of a ZJ?

I'm ready to unbolt the fly wheel from the engine and yank her out and some videos on You Tube mention lowering the trans, others do not when removing the engine.

I am really up against the wall for time here due to issues with contractors and a house renovation gone bad - so I'm looking to minimize my screw-ups and be as efficient as possible so I can get my girl back on the road.

IF I am better off removing the trans and transfer case now - I may as well get those rebuilt while they are out. Is anyone here good at refurbishing transfer cases - I do not have the time to do it myself at this late date and I'm willing to pay somebody who has experience at this.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Ron

"There is a deep laid plot against your civil & religious liberties. Your golden days are at an end. My heart bleeds for you, America."
- George Whitfield, 1714-1770

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Engine and trans question - removal
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 01:02:31 PM »
No, you need a long extention and u-joint to get at the top 2 bolts on the bell housing. Putting the motor back in you may need to jack the tranny up to mate the motor back to the tranny.

At least that was our experiance when we did our WJ.
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
Re: Engine and trans question - removal
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 04:31:06 PM »
On the XJ's I usually lower the trans to get to the top two bell housing bolts. Then you can bolt it back up and pull the engine out the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
88 YJ, D30, D35, 4.10's, 4.6L Stroker, MPFI, Skyjacker 2.5" Lift, 33's
00 XJ, HP30, Front Truss, WJ Knuckles, High Steer, 3 link, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromo's, IRO Leafs, 4.56's, Rebuilt 4.0, JK Rubi Wheels, 35's