Author Topic: Exhaust  (Read 349 times)

Offline Ryean78

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
Exhaust
« on: August 10, 2017, 09:00:46 AM »
I installed new exhaust system Flowmaster American Thunder on a 2015 JKU. I hate the sound it is producing! That is the negative part. The bonus part is it gets rid of the big exhaust can on the rear. Tucks everything up and away from getting crushed like the existing. My question is has anyone dealt with this issue? If you have what did you do to help quiet it down. Could I install a small resonator after the muffler? Would that quiet it down? If it does work what brand should I be looking for? Maybe my best bet would be to go to a muffler shop and let them suggest something?

Online Right Wing Curmudgeon!!!

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
Re: Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 09:14:11 AM »
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Online harryhood

• Administrator
  • Rock Crawler
    • 72 scamp
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 09:20:10 AM »
flowmaster = dronemaster
"it's like you're playing the triangle"

Offline Ryean78

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 09:35:01 AM »
I watched numerous videos of this exhaust and others. Read reviews. More people than not liked it. I am frustrated with it. I'm hoping for an option I haven't thought of. I'm kinda stuck at the moment the existing is crushed. That was the reason for replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Angrytj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
  • Luciano
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:36:49 AM »
can you post a pic of how the exhaust is routed? I may have an idea for you
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 35s, 5in rear stretch, Poison Spyder hiline defender front fenders and rear armor, Rokmen Sliders, custom hiline hood, Synergy front half and custom rear half roll cage, Mastercraft seats, 4pt harness, TJ rubi 44 axles, ARBs, 488 gears, chromo shafts, truss front and rear, front axle is sleeved, tie rod flip, PSC hydro assist steering box and ram, Vanco big brake kit, Raceline beadlocks and other little things.

Offline RobTJ

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:38:59 AM »
You get use to it after awhile.

The Spintech muffler that Clayton put on mine, was almost unbearable.    And since it has been moved forward,  I'm basically sitting on top of it.
"We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About..."
1999 "Chili Pepper Red" TJ; Clayton 3-Link; 35s; D30 with Eaton E-Locker; D44 Fully Spooled; 4.88s
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab w/6.4L "Yeah,  it's got a Hemi!"

Offline Ryean78

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 09:40:37 AM »

Offline loscann48

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 09:41:29 AM »
I put a dynomax super turbo on my 2010. I just bought the muffler for $45 on amazon. I cut my exhaust just behind the drivers seat, clamped in the dynomax, and clamped on the factory turn down just before the axle.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

G.O.A.T.
Gallagher Outdoor Adventure Team...a fun thing created by my kids and I.

Offline Ryean78

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 10:15:52 AM »
2010 had the 3.8 motor from what I've been told the two sound completely different.

Offline Greenhorn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 10:37:04 AM »
 :mrgreen:
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. -Thomas Jefferson

Offline MassXJ

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 10:53:37 AM »
Turn the muffler around
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Offline Angrytj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
  • Luciano
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 11:08:40 AM »
Is it touching your floor?
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 35s, 5in rear stretch, Poison Spyder hiline defender front fenders and rear armor, Rokmen Sliders, custom hiline hood, Synergy front half and custom rear half roll cage, Mastercraft seats, 4pt harness, TJ rubi 44 axles, ARBs, 488 gears, chromo shafts, truss front and rear, front axle is sleeved, tie rod flip, PSC hydro assist steering box and ram, Vanco big brake kit, Raceline beadlocks and other little things.

Offline Ryean78

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 11:12:53 AM »
Turn the muffler around
Excuse my ignorance, but would that actually help or change anything?

Offline Ryean78

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 11:13:22 AM »
Is it touching your floor?
The muffler sits about a 1/2" from the floor.

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 11:32:58 AM »
Do you hate the sound outside the vehicle or the resonance sound in the cabin?  If its the inside sound - try some Thermo Tec heat / sound shield on the bottom of the floor above the exhaust
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline MassXJ

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 11:49:03 AM »
Turn the muffler around
Excuse my ignorance, but would that actually help or change anything?

depending on how it is chambered it may.  That looks like a hushpower with the cone inside so it may not help
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Offline Ryean78

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 12:54:52 PM »
Do you hate the sound outside the vehicle or the resonance sound in the cabin?  If its the inside sound - try some Thermo Tec heat / sound shield on the bottom of the floor above the exhaust
Really it's both. The drone is bad anything more than 1/4 throttle it sounds like a Honda Civic. When I keep the RPMs down it's not bad.

Offline Space Shuttle Commander

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 03:50:22 PM »
is there room for a different muffler ? how much space do you have to work with ?
Sometimes I get to drive Becca's Jeep

**** ALAN TASTE GOOD  ****

Offline Angrytj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
  • Luciano
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 04:17:40 PM »
If you hate the sound of it even when your outside of the jeep then you just need a new muffler but if you want to try and reduce the noise from inside there are options.

Offline Ryean78

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 06:45:59 AM »
I had my wife drive the jeep last night so I could listened to it go down the road. I really think its the drone inside the cab. Outside the Jeep sounds pretty good a little loud. I have found that there is one spot in the RPM range where the exhaust is extremely raspy. I have also read that there is a break in period for exhaust and that it will quiet down the longer it is on the Jeep. Not sure how true that is. I guess for now I am going to keep it on. Worst case if it does not quiet down, I can start changing mufflers.