Author Topic: Project " Tap Dat Box"  (Read 186 times)

Offline Space Shuttle Commander

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
Project " Tap Dat Box"
« on: August 20, 2017, 08:36:54 PM »
Another jeep was brought over this weekend, Damon for a long while has had issues with the Mercedes style steering box. This box was used in any tj built after 2003. The steering box is a dual rate box, which is weaker than the Saginaw counterpart.

The soloution, replace the dual rate box with a standard jeep steering box. Drill and tap the new box for hydro assist, then mount the ram.

After pulling the steering and the box out of the way it was time to figure out the mounting location. The bolt pattern is slightly different from the Saginaw box. The forward most frame sleeve needs to be relocated.

Using a 1 inch hole saw the sleeve can be carefully cut out and reused.

With the sleeve removed a carbide burr will be used to open up the hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sometimes I get to drive Becca's Jeep

**** ALAN TASTE GOOD  ****

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Project " Tap Dat Box"
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 08:47:28 PM »
I like the double nut future!

Putting in a Durango box?
You can get a Hummer in a Jeep, but you can't get a Jeep in a Hummer!

97 TJ -Clayton Long Arm, 4.56gears, 9" rear/44 Front, Locked F/R, 36" Swampers, Beadlocks, One Ton Steering, full F/R cage and full skids

WIP: CJ Buggy:  V8, 14/60, 5.13's, Locked F/R.  Not sure what else will end up in it

89YJ, 4cyl, Waggy 44's, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers F/R, 37in MTR's, Beadlocks, Full Cage and tubed out front.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Offline Space Shuttle Commander

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 03:15:40 PM »
Nope using a standard tj box, the durango box does not always work well when drilled for hydro assist
Sometimes I get to drive Becca's Jeep

**** ALAN TASTE GOOD  ****

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 11:05:48 AM »
Nope using a standard tj box, the durango box does not always work well when drilled for hydro assist

The Durango box is the only one I have blown up.  I went back to a stock TJ as well.

Keep your measurements, I'm sure I will be doing one soon.
You can get a Hummer in a Jeep, but you can't get a Jeep in a Hummer!

97 TJ -Clayton Long Arm, 4.56gears, 9" rear/44 Front, Locked F/R, 36" Swampers, Beadlocks, One Ton Steering, full F/R cage and full skids

WIP: CJ Buggy:  V8, 14/60, 5.13's, Locked F/R.  Not sure what else will end up in it

89YJ, 4cyl, Waggy 44's, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers F/R, 37in MTR's, Beadlocks, Full Cage and tubed out front.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,