Author Topic: XJ Help  (Read 112 times)

Online Ryean78

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
XJ Help
« on: September 25, 2017, 12:58:24 PM »
My friend Bryan has an XJ that died while driving out on the highway a few months back. We have been slowly tinkering with it. The jeep turns over just wont fire. This week end we finally crawled under it changed the crank sensor (pita) still dead. Changed the distributor cap and rotor. Changed the spark plugs, the wires. Changed the ignition coil and boom she fires up. This is where it gets interesting, and I am lost. I take it out for a test drive it and the truck will not rev over 3000 RPMS. I have checked the firing order I am sure that is correct. I am looking for some ideas on what could possible be going on. Side note when its in neutral it will rev above 3000. The wires Bryan bought are thinner could that be the problem? I can always put the others back on as they looked to be in good condition.

Thoughts are welcome.

Offline XJRV-Maki

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • salt no carry
Re: XJ Help
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »
TPS?

What year is it?

Offline RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 01:34:25 PM »
That was a 98, right? Any engine codes? Usually a good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
88 YJ, D30, D35, 4.10's, 4.6L Stroker, MPFI, Skyjacker 2.5" Lift, 33's
00 XJ, HP30, Front Truss, WJ Knuckles, High Steer, 3 link, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromo's, IRO Leafs, 4.56's, Rebuilt 4.0, JK Rubi Wheels, 35's

Online Ryean78

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 02:02:00 PM »
98 XJ
I have not checked for codes. No idiot light is on. I thought possible transmission but if it was slipping RPMs would go up.

Online Ryean78

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 02:10:27 PM »
TPS?

What year is it?

TPS... I didn't think about that.

Offline MassXJ

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 02:23:19 PM »
Pull the battery terminal for a while then try again
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Offline Greenhorn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 02:27:54 PM »
If it is a TPS thing, the entire throttle body is probably crusted with black stuff and needs to be removed and cleaned.
I've cleaned a TPS by turning them upside down and blasting them real good with carb cleaner, (put them in a small container)
blast it until its submerged then let it soak.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. -Thomas Jefferson