Author Topic: 2.5L - Low Output  (Read 1524 times)

Online joe98tj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
Re: 2.5L - Low Output
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 10:37:06 AM »
Waiting on the weekend for sunshine to make measurements for the outboard kit. Gonna go grab the skids from clayton next week and hopefully have it all finish welded. In a few weeks. In the mean time I started pulling apart the Dana 30 and planning out all the fancy parts ill be looking to install.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Mean, Green, Sticker Machine

98 wrangler • 4 cylinder • in progress •

2014 Ram Power Wagon Tow Rig/World Class Gas Guzzler

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 11:00:36 AM »
progress
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Online joe98tj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 03:29:50 PM »
Marked out the location of the frame cuts for the outboard notch. Was gonna cut today but ended having to fix some stuff on the lawn tractor.

With the sun out I did some measuring on the jeep. With normal weight in the rear on a flat surface it measured out that its 17 inches from the axle shock mount to the top of frame where the notch will be. With the rear coil correction kit ill probably plan for another .5" - 1". The uncut clayton frame mount sits another 5 inches above the frame.

Time to crunch some numbers and start looking for shocks. Probably make some more measurements tomorrow just to double check everything.

Online joe98tj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 02:40:57 PM »
Took today off to get some stuff done. Drove up to clayton this morning to grab some skid plates. Ive got them all bolted up so now its time for the fun part. Looking for suggetions on whats a good way to approach fabricating some mounting points for the engine skid.

Offline King of the Hill

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • The best beer in the world is the one in your hand
    • Jeeps on the Brain
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 03:00:32 PM »
I went up to the motor mounts off the frame rails in front.  Attached the rear to the existing cross-member by welding on some angle iron tabs.
75 CJ-5        Plow Jeep Still for Sale - $800 w/4way plow
77 CJ-5        Red Jeep - 401, T18, Locked F&R
77 CJ-7        Sons Jeep - Built from Race Jeep remnants
79 CJ-7        Q-Track - Aging gracefully in the woods(well, not much left)
84 CJ-7        Rock Jeep - BYS  (Big Yellow Shitbox) on one tons
95 Wrangler  Sons commuter Jeep - bone stock 4 popper
97 TJ           Black Jeep on Slinkys
04 Grand Cherokee Overland - Wife's Jeep,  Too nice for me!

Online Space Shuttle Commander

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 03:17:41 PM »
I would use some box tubing just smaller than the bolt circle, then make a flanges plate to weld to the box tubing. easy to unbolt
Sometimes I get to drive Becca's Jeep

**** ALAN TASTE GOOD  ****

Online joe98tj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2017, 03:18:18 PM »
I'm thinking of cutting the current ends off, bending the passenger side, making new frame connection points with square tubing that will fit over the current to get more solid weld points, and bolting through the frame.

Online joe98tj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2017, 03:26:09 PM »
I would use some box tubing just smaller than the bolt circle, then make a flanges plate to weld to the box tubing. easy to unbolt
Not picturing that too clearly in my head

Offline RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 06:05:21 PM »
Weld a flange with the matching bolt pattern to the end of some square tube and weld the tube to the frame. Then you can have an unmodified skid that bolts up as intended and it will be solidly mounted to the frame still. You can always add more support to the piece that goes to the frame as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
88 YJ, D30, D35, 4.10's, 4.6L Stroker, MPFI, Skyjacker 2.5" Lift, 33's
00 XJ, HP30, Front Truss, WJ Knuckles, High Steer, 3 link, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromo's, IRO Leafs, 4.56's, Rebuilt 4.0, JK Rubi Wheels, 35's

Online joe98tj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 06:28:15 PM »
Weld a flange with the matching bolt pattern to the end of some square tube and weld the tube to the frame. Then you can have an unmodified skid that bolts up as intended and it will be solidly mounted to the frame still. You can always add more support to the piece that goes to the frame as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My only concern with not being flush to the frame is something eventually getting in the way.

Online joe98tj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 07:52:14 PM »
However that does sound like the easiest way to tackle it and it woukd only stick out a few inches on each side.

Online joe98tj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2017, 10:15:01 PM »
Progress has been slight to none while waiting on my brother to get some free time away from his newborn. Another reason not to have kids and another reason I should learn how to weld. Once I get him to do one last round of welding she'll be off to paint.

Spent half a day sand blasting the front axle. Another half day and it should be spotless. Also picked up Pete's now old to him tire carrier. Although its angled it fit with the hard top. A soft top looks to be in my future though. A new rim with a better offset should work well when I go up 35s, unless I ever get the motivation to cut it and weld it straight. Just need to drill new holes for the bolt pattern and then give it a coat of paint. Looking forward to getting the hi lift off the hood so I can open the hood all the way back to the window again.

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2017, 07:47:44 AM »
Repurposing, i love it!!
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2017, 12:10:13 PM »
Those rims look familiar...
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline Gorilla_Skater

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • "Don't lose your Dinosaur"  - Dr. Doback
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2017, 12:14:14 PM »
Looks great Joe! Nothing like some swirly chrome goodness.  :cool:
1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" MT MTZ P3's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0L V10 Tow Rig

Online joe98tj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2017, 01:38:40 PM »
Looks great Joe! Nothing like some swirly chrome goodness.  :cool:

Sadly i'll be parting ways with it sometime soon

Offline Gorilla_Skater

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • "Don't lose your Dinosaur"  - Dr. Doback
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2017, 01:43:47 PM »
They had a good run in NEJeep! and I still have one lol
1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" MT MTZ P3's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0L V10 Tow Rig

Online joe98tj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2017, 01:44:57 PM »
You can have two if you would like

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2017, 06:20:34 PM »
You must keep it. It must be memorialized and passed down generation to generation. Kind of like Truck naked girl mud flaps...

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

Online joe98tj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2017, 07:52:11 PM »
More slow progress, baby was having issues so all we got done was tacking most of it in. Still working on making choices for the shocks which I can just tack in myself. Guess ill be waiting another month till its all buttoned up and ready for paint

Online joe98tj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2018, 04:46:14 PM »
More slow progress.

Utilizing toms welding skills I got everything finish welded on the frame. Found a few more bad stops in it that need fixing in the rear along with fixing a bump stop mount on the drivers side coil bucket. Gonna go to logan steel tomorrow. Hoping to spend the week planning, cleaning, and prepping to get the body and engine off this weekend, swap it all over to finish positioning the rear shock towers, and take it all back apart for paint

We'll see how the week goes before anything is definite.

Also spent some time getting the HP30 ready with cleaning out the tubes and getting the outside clean and painted. The bushings and lower control arm mounts need replacing. Gotta save up some money for the locker and Chromoly shafts before any balls get to rolling on it though. Was thinking about going to 30 spline but I would need two sets right off the bat just to have spares so I'm still thinking that route out.

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2018, 05:41:52 PM »
steady progress is all that counts.

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

Offline Mr. Easy

• Administrator
  • Rock Crawler
    • 72 scamp
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2018, 09:03:58 PM »
If get a set of 30 spline chromos you don't need to carry spares for a while, especially seeing that it's driven by a 4 bamger
"it's like you're playing the triangle"

Online joe98tj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2018, 09:07:03 PM »
If get a set of 30 spline chromos you don't need to carry spares for a while, especially seeing that it's driven by a 4 bamger
Yeah ive never broken the stock ones but I'm building it to start doing harder stuff so I would assume its bound to happen but yeah I could probably wait awhile

Offline RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 06:47:22 AM »
Just carry a 2wd stub shaft and a stock unit bearing, then you can always limp it home if needed without worrying about your wheel falling off. I have an extra 2wd outer if you want it.
88 YJ, D30, D35, 4.10's, 4.6L Stroker, MPFI, Skyjacker 2.5" Lift, 33's
00 XJ, HP30, Front Truss, WJ Knuckles, High Steer, 3 link, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromo's, IRO Leafs, 4.56's, Rebuilt 4.0, JK Rubi Wheels, 35's