Author Topic: Frame care suggestions  (Read 251 times)

Offline Horn

• Probie
Frame care suggestions
« on: October 12, 2017, 04:38:36 PM »
Last February when I got the LJ I hit the outside of the frame with a few cans of Fluid Film. This summer I cleaned the inside out thoroughly. Not much came out. Then for what it's worth I used Eastwood internal frame coating on it. I read mixed opinions but figured it wasn't going to do any harm even if it didn't do a lot of good.
Now I'm thinking of the outside. The whole thing seems pretty consistently in the same shape. When I dropped the skid this summer there was a little more rust between frame and skid and I wire wheeled that down and hit it with some Rustoleum.

The question is what's my next step planning ahead. I've always assumed some kind of section by section thorough cleaning and painting and annual inspection and touch up. I know there are a lot of options out there. Curious what suggestions people have. Then I'll make a plan and stick to it.

Offline bigdaddymack51

• Rock Crawler
Re: Frame care suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 05:32:02 PM »
I started with a 74 CJ chassis and power washed it as it was an open channel frame. After I boxed it in I used "Duplicolor" (white can black label )   spray rust proofing. They make two different kinds and I prefer the sand finish to the rubberized finish. On the floors it would get hot enough in the summer that it would stick to your boots and the rubber matts would have to be pealed out to wash.  The frame looks just as good 10 yrs. latter and touch up is a spray away. All my street vehicles Ive always painted the whole underside with an 8 dollar quart of Rustoleum , frame , floors, inside fenders , what ever I could get to with my spray gun. The quart has to be reduced but you can control how thin you make it compared to a rattle can , there just isnt enough pigment in it to cover a large area. There also is a product called "POR-15" which uses rust as a catalyst to activate it to harden. They recommend a top coat product also because of UVs. I dont see the frame as being subjected to direct sunlight all the time. Its not cheap , but the wright ups on it sound promising . Yours being newer , if you have a compressor , Id get a quart and keep up with it.  FjR68

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 05:40:24 PM »
X2 POR-15.
'16 JKR, Rock Krawler 3.5" Long Arm Off-Road Pro, 35" Nitto Trail Graplers

Build thread http://forum.northeastjeep.org/index.php?topic=38405.new#new

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 05:59:41 PM »
Chassis Saver similar to POR 15. Is activated by moisture believe it of not so will smother the rust. Aint cheap, $100 per gallon.

Rustolium is always the inexpensive reliable backup. Have been using it for years as well.
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 06:09:35 PM »
I just hit mine with rustoleum every once in a while...  Fluid Film for inside the frame just the previous owner did
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 06:31:31 PM »
I just hit mine with rustoleum every once in a while...  Fluid Film for inside the frame just the previous owner did

How do you get the Fluid Film sprayed inside evenly? I didn't spray it inside last year because I knew I was going to do the internal coating in the summer.  Now I wish I had kept the special nozzles that came with the Eastwood cans for spraying inside.

Offline King of the Hill

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • The best beer in the world is the one in your hand
    • Jeeps on the Brain
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 07:12:20 PM »
I think you still have too much paint for POR15.  It likes to grab onto rust.  From your pics, I would use a wire wheel and Rustoleum.
75 CJ-5        Plow Jeep Still for Sale - $800 w/4way plow
77 CJ-5        Red Jeep - 401, T18, Locked F&R
77 CJ-7        Sons Jeep - Built from Race Jeep remnants
79 CJ-7        Q-Track - Aging gracefully in the woods(well, not much left)
84 CJ-7        Rock Jeep - BYS  (Big Yellow Shitbox) on one tons
95 Wrangler  Sons commuter Jeep - bone stock 4 popper
97 TJ           Black Jeep on Slinkys
04 Grand Cherokee Overland - Wife's Jeep,  Too nice for me!

Offline Right Wing Curmudgeon!!!

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 07:27:41 PM »
^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 09:18:49 AM »
How do you get the Fluid Film sprayed inside evenly? I didn't spray it inside last year because I knew I was going to do the internal coating in the summer.  Now I wish I had kept the special nozzles that came with the Eastwood cans for spraying inside.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-Spray-Extension-Wand/dp/B00CLUGXFI/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_60_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5JXJTB3F6DBCDEP5E58G

99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline NickMaida

• Probie
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 10:04:59 AM »

Or, if you have an air compressor, I've heard you can use the eastwood undercoating gun and just use the 1 gallon fluid film buckets from Napa. I don't have personal experience with this. I'm going to try it this winter and see how it goes.
http://www.eastwood.com/undercoating-gun-with-2-hoses-and-bottle.html

And to repeat some of what has been stated. I'd get a 4.5" angle grinder with a wire cup and hit all the rust spots. (100x better than doing it manually and way better than any other method I've tried). Scuff up the paint on the non rusty areas, then POR15 the rust spots (I'd recommend getting the entire kit with degreaser and metal prep), then rustoleum the entire frame (including the POR15 spots) while the POR is still tacky.
A little bit complicated and time consuming, but it works.
'97 TJ 4.0 - 35s

Offline SJJEEP

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • CAR KILLER
    • sjjeep.com
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 11:45:44 AM »
fluid film, Can it be put on using a reg.  1 gal. lawn weed type sprayer
God bless America

Offline 50willysM38

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 01:29:20 PM »
Fluid film actually makes a gun specifically for their product. It works great. Even came with a 2 foot extension tube for spraying inside frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 TJ, 35" BFG Mud Terrains, 4 inch currie lift,
Stock Willys M38

Offline 50willysM38

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 01:30:51 PM »
Farmington valley equipment in Farmington has the best prices on fluid film and the guns that I have found. eBay and amazon are over priced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 TJ, 35" BFG Mud Terrains, 4 inch currie lift,
Stock Willys M38

Offline joe98tj

• Probie
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 04:24:09 PM »
Buy a beater, let the jeep sit during the winter
98 wrangler • 4 cylinder • 4 in lift • clayton 4 link • front locker • Open Ford 8.8 • SYE and tom woods shaft

2014 Ram Power Wagon Tow Rig

Offline Horn

• Probie
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 08:25:34 PM »
I love it when a plan comes together.

This winter I'll thoroughly Fluid Film inside and out. Only question is which application method I use. I've got some good options. Next spring or summer I'll do the exterior frame cleaning and some spot treatment and then paint everything I can get to.

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
Buy a beater, let the jeep sit during the winter

There was a few years in a row when my Jeep was broken each winter... Worked out well, not it just sits...
You can get a Hummer in a Jeep, but you can't get a Jeep in a Hummer!

97 TJ -Clayton Long Arm, 4.56gears, 9" rear/44 Front, Locked F/R, 36" Swampers, Beadlocks, One Ton Steering, full F/R cage and full skids

WIP: CJ Buggy:  V8, 14/60, 5.13's, Locked F/R.  Not sure what else will end up in it

89YJ, 4cyl, Waggy 44's, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers F/R, 37in MTR's, Beadlocks, Full Cage and tubed out front.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Offline Space Shuttle Commander

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 09:10:03 PM »
Drill a couple holes at the bottom of the curve in front of the rear tires
Sometimes I get to drive Becca's Jeep

**** ALAN TASTE GOOD  ****