Author Topic: 2002 liberty seat issue  (Read 193 times)

Offline probablysleeping88

2002 liberty seat issue
« on: November 30, 2017, 08:30:52 PM »
Hey guys whats up?
I used to be a member on this forum a few years ago but lost my login data so had to make a new user name. Glad to see the forum is still around.
I recently picked up a very cheap, leaky, higher mileage 2002 jeep liberty to get me through winter. As i only needed it to get through winter a running driving 4x4 was the main goal so i glossed over some of the details. Upon driving it i quickly noticed the driver seat recline lever is broken off, the seat is stuck straight upright at 90 degrees, what is left of the cheap metal inside the seat is stripped to the point of uselessness, and so soft/cheap a screwdriver only seems to make it worse. im really trying to keep this jeep as cheap as possible as my other 4x4 vehicle will be ready around summer time.  i know this is a common problem so wondering does anyone have any cheap fixed besides the $150 reclining mechanism? Mainly another way to release the incline as i really only need to get the seat to a comfortable incline then keep it there.

also the cheapest used seat i found so far is $75 and in mass, so i was also wondering if anyone had any luck swapping a cheaper more common Chrysler onto the liberty seat tracks.

really just need the cheapest quickest fix possible

thanks in advance everyone

Online A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: 2002 liberty seat issue
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 09:00:02 PM »
There's no way to get a set of vice grips on it?
'16 JKR, Rock Krawler 3.5" Long Arm Off-Road Pro, 35" Nitto Trail Graplers

Build thread http://forum.northeastjeep.org/index.php?topic=38405.new#new

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 09:29:05 PM »
whats left of the stud where the handle attaches only sticks out about 1/8th of a inch and very soft metal. there is a large spring around it, its broken almost flush with the spring, making it difficult to grab. my fear is if i tried to vice grip it, it would make matters worse. i think that might be my best bet though. its either that or i was thinking drilling and taping a short 1/4 bolt into the center of the broken stud and hoping it hold enough to move the seat a tiny bit. very poor design by jeep.

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 10:21:02 PM »
I have a set of brand new OEM 2002 KJ seat fabric if you screw up yours...  My wife sold her KJ
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline MattG

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • Probie of the year!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 10:44:02 PM »
You can’t get it the latch system from the rear of the seat??

Any seat will Work with a drill and a long bolt btw
***** TOM FOR PREZ 2017 ******
MAKE NORTHEAST JEEP GREAT AGAIN!

Online A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 05:47:04 AM »
You can’t get it the latch system from the rear of the seat??

That was basically my next question
'16 JKR, Rock Krawler 3.5" Long Arm Off-Road Pro, 35" Nitto Trail Graplers

Build thread http://forum.northeastjeep.org/index.php?topic=38405.new#new

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 07:11:26 AM »
If you can get away with the drill/tap idea may be the cheapest way out. Sounds like it's worth a shot. Or, pull the top cover and foam off and try to get at the mechanism that way to open/move it a notch.

Search CL, there are a lot of back yard dismantlers out there. Beware many of them want more for a part you can get in a salvage yard. For salvage yards, I generally use Daddios in Seymour and East Cost in Killingworth.

If you can find a sat out seat with a good mechanism, swap over your foam, fabric from the seat you have.

"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline XJRV-Maki

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • salt no carry
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 08:12:25 AM »
No self pull junkyards near you?

My local JY (in worcester, MA) sells seats for $30 ea and they've got tons of KJ's in there: http://lindersinc.net/homesams.html

Modern Jeep seats are wicked cheap stamped sheet metal junk anyways, I'd go with AMC era Jeep seats or Ford seats (got Mustang seats in my XJ and they're awesome) over the stock junk.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 11:25:48 AM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I weighed all the options decided cheapest way - to grab a drill and a 1/4-20 tap to get this thing unstuck. Started drilling it, got between 1/4-1/2 in into the stud and a peice that looks like a keyway from the actual handle fell out leaving a perfect slot for wide blade screw driver, the seat now reclines with a large screw driver.
Shoddy before and after pics not really  sure what the spring is for but it released when I started drilling the center
I appreciate the junkyard suggestions, I only spent 700 on this jeep so I want it to stay cheap as possible for parts

Mustang seats in a jeep got me thinking as well, I have an old rearco from a 86 mustang gt I might try to make up a seat bracket adapter for maybe after Christmas. 
Thanks again everyone and have a happy Friday

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »
Nice!  Glad it worked out

BTW - what was your old screen name here?
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 12:22:33 PM »
It was searchinformudd. I don't think I've logged into it since I sold my zj, so about 4yrs ago. I had a xj for last winter but sold it cause I kept losing oil pressure at idle and didn't want to dig into the engine. The liberty isn't bad for what I paid, although the 4cyl seems lacking in power. Literally the first 4cyl I've owned since I was 19.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk