Author Topic: ZJ Tie Rod Conversion  (Read 404 times)

Online Horn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
ZJ Tie Rod Conversion
« on: December 06, 2017, 07:28:53 PM »
I found a couple of articles about this a while ago.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/zjtie/tierod-1.htm

http://www.nwjeepn.com/TJTieRod.html

I picked up the tie rod, tie rod end, and adjustment sleeve this week.

I'll get the new one set up as close as I can by measuring against the old one, then get it in for an alignment the same day. Unless the weather gets crazy I'll probably do it in the next month when I have a free Saturday.

In the future after a lift I'm scoping out the Currie Currectlync system. Seems like the ZJ rod is an easy way to beef up things a little before that, and it's pretty inexpensive.

Anything I'm missing, or words of wisdom?

Offline RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: ZJ Tie Rod Conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:45:22 PM »
I did this upgrade on Emily’s Jeep. It’s a much sturdier part than stock. Solid steel instead of that rolled sheet metal thing. If you have a second set of hands, it’s easy to do your own alignments on a solid axle vehicle like a Jeep. I or someone else could help you if you wanted a hand the first time. Saves you some money since you end up doing alignments on a pretty regular basis owning a Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
88 YJ, D30, D35, 4.10's, 4.6L Stroker, MPFI, Skyjacker 2.5" Lift, 33's
00 XJ, HP30, Front Truss, WJ Knuckles, High Steer, 3 link, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromo's, IRO Leafs, 4.56's, Rebuilt 4.0, JK Rubi Wheels, 35's

Online Gorilla_Skater

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:08:01 PM »
I know Draz beat the heck out of that ZJ steering on his TJ.

1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0L V10 Tow Rig

1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 70 4D4P7 70 CH4NG3 ~573PH3N H4WK1NG

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 09:12:51 PM »
I’m running Waggy linkage that goes with the hd 44 which nets out to half ton Chevy.
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Online Horn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 10:12:02 PM »
I did this upgrade on Emily’s Jeep. It’s a much sturdier part than stock. Solid steel instead of that rolled sheet metal thing. If you have a second set of hands, it’s easy to do your own alignments on a solid axle vehicle like a Jeep. I or someone else could help you if you wanted a hand the first time. Saves you some money since you end up doing alignments on a pretty regular basis owning a Jeep.

I'd like to learn how to do the alignment. I just didn't want to tackle it for the first time without someone with the experience.

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 11:28:12 PM »
I'd like to learn how to do the alignment. I just didn't want to tackle it for the first time without someone with the experience.
  Two 3ft pieces of angle iron or aluminum plus a couple of bungee cords from Home Depot plus a tape measure...  Look for 1/16 to 1/8" tow in...  You Tube is your friend
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 04:41:07 AM »

If you decide you want a hand I’d be glad to help. It’s pretty simple once you know what your doing.

00 XJ, HP30, Front Truss, WJ Knuckles, High Steer, 3 link, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromo's, IRO Leafs, 4.56's, Rebuilt 4.0, JK Rubi Wheels, 35's

Offline MasterDrazhar

• Honorary Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 'F' with me? I'll STAB YA!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 08:12:19 AM »
I know Draz beat the heck out of that ZJ steering on his TJ.

Ran that for quite a while before I went with the RK X steer.  That ZJ "upgrade" for the TJ will hold up well even hitting a few rocks/stumps.
Profile for Team_Oscar

Quote from: Sweet Cheeks Bitty
Nasty and ill-tempered?  I'll show you nasty and ill-tempered you old pinworm...

Quote from: Theo Maassen
Optimists are badly informed Pessimists.[/quote

Offline joe98tj

• Probie
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 09:13:57 AM »
This is also on my list of stuff I hope to get done this winter, what was the total price and what store did you pick everything up from?
Mean, Green, Sticker Machine

98 wrangler • 4 cylinder • in progress •

2014 Ram Power Wagon Tow Rig/World Class Gas Guzzler

Online Horn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 10:43:19 AM »
This is also on my list of stuff I hope to get done this winter, what was the total price and what store did you pick everything up from?

I ordered them from Amazon. We have Prime so shipping was free. Total cost was $99.02.

Here is what I ordered. I got the parts list from articles and forums. Hopefully it's correct. I didn't see any disagreement on the parts numbers. I went with the Moog since they were available on Amazon but I know I've seen NAPA part listings as well.

Moog DS1312 Tie Rod End https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C5400E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_s8vkAbB140VTJ

Moog ES2079S Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C57VBY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_c-vkAb3EBM7KP

Moog ES3096L Tie Rod End https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C59W7U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_W-vkAb8JD450Q

Offline joe98tj

• Probie
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 10:48:05 AM »
Oh wow, that's a lot cheaper than what napa has listed
Mean, Green, Sticker Machine

98 wrangler • 4 cylinder • in progress •

2014 Ram Power Wagon Tow Rig/World Class Gas Guzzler

Offline RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 12:26:49 PM »
Just a note, you can save a little more by robbing the adjusting sleeve off of another stock steering setup. I have probably 3 or 4 of them sitting at my house. They are the same sleeve as the one on the stock drag link. The TRE and tie rod itself are physically new parts though and need to be ordered. I believe I ordered Moog parts off Rockauto with a 5% discount for less than $80 after shipping when I did this on Emily's Jeep.

Offline XJRV-Maki

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • salt no carry
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 12:42:31 PM »
^^^ good tip on the adjuster, I've probably got half a dozen of them in my shed. When I did the V8 ZJ tie rod I just got the whole thing from the JY, including the draglink (which is an upgrade over renix era drag links btw) forget what I paid but I don't think it was more than $30

Offline King of the Hill

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • The best beer in the world is the one in your hand
    • Jeeps on the Brain
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 07:20:20 PM »
Here is a picture of my one man front end alignment tool.  I screwed a square to one end of a long one inch square piece of wood.

I reach across the front of the Jeep and hook the sidewall of the tire on the far side then slide the speed square to the sidewall of the side of the tire I'm on.  I draw a line on the stick, then  I reach under the frame and hook the sidewall of the rear of the tire and slide the speed square to the sidewall.  By comparing to the line on the stick with the speed square you can see how much the tow in is(or isn't).

75 CJ-5        Plow Jeep Still for Sale - $800 w/4way plow
77 CJ-5        Red Jeep - 401, T18, Locked F&R
77 CJ-7        Sons Jeep - Built from Race Jeep remnants
79 CJ-7        Q-Track - Aging gracefully in the woods(well, not much left)
84 CJ-7        Rock Jeep - BYS  (Big Yellow Shitbox) on one tons
95 Wrangler  Sons commuter Jeep - bone stock 4 popper
97 TJ           Black Jeep on Slinkys
04 Grand Cherokee Overland - Wife's Jeep,  Too nice for me!

Online Gorilla_Skater

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 08:41:36 PM »
That's pretty freakin' cool Terry.

I was always worried about imperfections in the sidewall affecting the measurements when you come off the tires, especially when 1/8th" makes a difference. I found a different method where you scribe a line around each tire. You simply measure from line to line on the front and back of the tire.

1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's

Online Horn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 09:37:05 PM »
Now I'm excited.
I've got some studying up to do about alignment.

Online Gorilla_Skater

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 09:57:01 PM »
Now I'm excited.
I've got some studying up to do about alignment.

Good article here: http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/align/align-1.htm

I didn't bother with the spray paint. I just scratched the tire with a nail.

Online Horn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 11:49:49 PM »
That's a lot less complex than I thought it would be.
I can do that.

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 05:34:05 AM »
I miss the good ol days when you can do an alignment like that!
'16 JKR, Rock Krawler 3.5" Long Arm Off-Road Pro, 35" Nitto Trail Graplers

Build thread http://forum.northeastjeep.org/index.php?topic=38405.new#new

Online Horn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 07:04:44 AM »
Found this last night too while I was searching.
Frank, is something like this what you were talking about using angle iron for?

Offline RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 07:11:51 AM »

That's how I do mine. Super accurate and repeatable. Just make sure you put 2-3 of the lug nuts back on to clamp the rotor up tight to the hub so it's straight. No guessing what part of the tire you are on this way. In my opinion this is the best way to do it.

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »
  Pretty much - but I don't take the tire/wheel off, I just bungie cord the angle iron to the rim and tire, make sure the angle iron is level to the ground and measure back to front difference...  BTW - this works with most solid (non-IFS) front axles for any truck
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 08:48:33 AM »
Theres also a string method. Pull a string front to back. Measure rear tire f/b measurement is the same. String is now parellel to the vehicle. Front wheel toe in 1/16”. Repeat other side. Net toe 1/8”. Make sure the steering wheel is centered.

Just did my K3500 that way.
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline Right Wing Curmudgeon!!!

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 09:04:43 AM »
And don't forget, adjusting the steering wheel will affect toe.  So once you set your toe, then set your steering wheel, then recheck and adjust your toe.

I've never done it with the tires off, If you set the angle iron/aluminum at the same place and level on both tires, it shouldn't be off that much to worry about, unless you have VERY bad tires.  I've also read that without the weight of the vehicle on the tires, doing it on jack stands will not be as accurate.  If you do it with the tires on, another tip, jack up one wheel before making the adjustment.  It will be easier and will not twist or bind the tire.  Drop back to the ground and recheck.  I've done this for years and never had a problem with my alignments.

I did Lamchops alignment once at Savoy and he claimed it was the best alignment he ever had on that Jeep. :mrgreen:
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Offline XJRV-Maki

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • salt no carry
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 10:39:40 AM »
I do it with jackstands under the axle, tires off with the straightedge clamped to the rotor just like the pic above. Except I only use 1 tape measure, not sure how the 2 tape measure thing works.

I did do an alignment recently when I had the front frame on jackstands and the axle hanging...got it all dialed in and took a drive and it was horrible, almost uncontrollable...got back and checked it my normal way and it was toed out several inches  :rotflmao:. So yes definitely have the weight of the vehicle on the axle, should it really matter if it's on jackstands or the tires? Unless your balljoints or hub are bad I don't see why it would make a difference?