Author Topic: phones/devices  (Read 530 times)

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
Re: phones/devices
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 02:35:02 PM »
Not only does still have all those phones, they are all charged up??
  Yes - I actually charged them all up for the picture, the only one that isn't on is the star tac flip (no battery)  And my Droid turbo is missing from pile because I used that to take the pic!
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Online A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 05:03:22 PM »
I remember being the man when I upgraded to the star tac. No one had it yet hahaha
'16 JKR, Rock Krawler 3.5" Long Arm Off-Road Pro, 35" Nitto Trail Graplers

Build thread http://forum.northeastjeep.org/index.php?topic=38405.new#new

Offline HankD

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 05:38:00 PM »
This was my first, got it so I didn't have to keep looking for a phone to answer pages on the job, thought I was the shit! Cost me like $300 a month back in the early 90s.
nada! Shopping for parts for new build.

Offline Red Rocker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2017, 07:49:06 PM »

I had the car mounted version of the one on the left, external antenna and all, I think it would put out 3 watts and never really dropped a call. When that phone first came out in the 80's it cost about $1,000

If it wasn't for the fact that it was an analog phone and the new digital systems came out and made it unusable I would still have it mounted in my work truck

When I was at a job site the ringer was hooked up to the horn, so when someone called the trucks horn would start blaring away and I would have to go running back to the truck to answer it.....fun times

Funny how phones started out big and expensive, then got smaller and cheaper for a while, down to Star Tac size and then started growing to the sizes of smartphones now and prices are getting back up close to $1,000 for some models.

16 JKURR

"A threesome is not really cheating......the two girls cancel each other out"

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 09:25:18 PM »
I had the car mounted version of the one on the left, external antenna and all, I think it would put out 3 watts and never really dropped a call. When that phone first came out in the 80's it cost about $1,000
  I bought that one in 1993 and had it mounted on the console in my Jeep.  Looked cool as shit like the bat phone!  Top down with a coil corded phone to my ear...
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

Offline bigdaddymack51

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2017, 06:33:58 AM »
That was the reason for getting away from the Star Tac . Even the replacement batteries wouldnt last a day. I think I had that phone for 9/11 years. My Turbo 2 was huge , took great pics , and did more than I was ready for.  2 of those in like 3/4 yrs. This Pixel better last longer than that. Its a little smaller than the turbo , fits my hand and pocket much better.   FjR68

Online A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2017, 06:59:38 AM »
now and prices are getting back up close to $1,000 for some models.

Close? The iPhone X is $1,000 for no reason other than a status symbol  :rolleyes:

Offline loscann48

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2017, 07:02:56 AM »

Close? The iPhone X is $1,000 for no reason other than a status symbol  :rolleyes:
No, no just for the status status symbol, for the $1000 you can add a t-rex chasing your jeep in your next offroading video.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

G.O.A.T.
Gallagher Outdoor Adventure Team...a fun thing created by my kids and I.

Online A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 07:07:20 AM »

No, no just for the status status symbol, for the $1000 you can add a t-rex chasing your jeep in your next offroading video.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

lol that'll probably be part of the next update and will work on all the iPhones. Apple is really good at making it look like you need the new phone for the new tech but it's all software.

Offline Greenhorn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2017, 08:08:30 AM »
So now that I have my new gadget, I can't get my desktop PC to recognize it as a drive.
Google says it could be a missing driver in windows.
I cant find a driver that's not bundled up in "advertisement and crookware" wrapping paper.
So what's the hook?  I looked in the phone (android) for a setting or switch related to usb connections but can't find it.
  My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
  To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
 -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mr. Easy

• Administrator
  • Rock Crawler
    • 72 scamp
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2017, 09:34:20 AM »
What model phone is it?

Are you still running so on your desktop?
"it's like you're playing the triangle"

Offline Greenhorn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2017, 10:32:07 AM »
LG-L56VL
I dumped my old phone onto my pc thinking I could just copy the stuff onto the new one.
I ended up putting it all on google drive so I can at least access it.
But I still want my phone to talk directly to the pc.
I don't like having anything sitting on googe

The old phone was a "non droid" (who knows what) that would show up on the desktop no problem.
  My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
  To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
 -Thomas Jefferson

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 10:55:39 AM »
On the newest version of android - when you plug the USB into your computer you have to swipe the phone's screen to choose the USB options

The default is "USB for charging"

Tap that to change the options to file transfers

Offline Mr. Easy

• Administrator
  • Rock Crawler
    • 72 scamp
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2017, 11:24:59 AM »

Offline Mr. Easy

• Administrator
  • Rock Crawler
    • 72 scamp
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2017, 12:00:59 PM »
I asked about your windows version because a newer os would have a better chance of having driver support

Offline Greenhorn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2017, 04:57:22 PM »
I asked about your windows version because a newer os would have a better chance of having driver support

Yeah I still chisel text into granite slabs using tools made from harder crystals...lol
(pre-iron age)     It's XP
 -Thomas Jefferson

Offline ycatS75

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • A fart is a wish your butt makes
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2018, 06:08:48 AM »
I've had both, but I prefer Android over iPhone. The only thing iPhone has going for it, imo, is the facetime option. But you can do the same thing with skype.
'06 TJ built by SteveB
'15 JK Rubicon Hard Rock

"You gonna do something or just stand there and bleed?"

Offline bigdaddymack51

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2018, 07:05:14 AM »
Although , "Skype"   Most of the time lags a lot .   The holidays were crazy slow !    FjR68

Offline Mr. Easy

• Administrator
  • Rock Crawler
    • 72 scamp
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2018, 09:41:09 AM »

Yeah I still chisel text into granite slabs using tools made from harder crystals...lol
(pre-iron age)     It's XP

Unfortunately  that may be problem and why you can't find a driver.

Offline Greenhorn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2018, 10:22:56 AM »
I went to MS and dl'ed the MTP USB porting kit... nuthin.
Went to LG and dl'ed their file transfer utility (LG Bridge)...nuthin'
Tried the driver you linked...nuthin'

The freakin' thing shows up in device manager as working properly, but windows doesn't assign it a drive letter.
It's not showing as a USB device.   It just says "LGE Android MTP device".

I've come to the conclusion I need a windows 10 desktop. It's time. The old one owes me nuthin'...lol
 -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mr. Easy

• Administrator
  • Rock Crawler
    • 72 scamp
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2018, 12:18:44 PM »
It sounds like windows is recognizing the device. Did you try changing the usb options on the phone like Frank posted about?

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2018, 01:03:11 PM »
My android devices don't show up as a "lettered" drive - they show up as the device name and I have to click on the "internal storage" folder.  My phone shows up as XT1254

Offline Greenhorn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2018, 01:13:55 PM »
It sounds like windows is recognizing the device. Did you try changing the usb options on the phone like Frank posted about?

Yes tried that. I do have to manually switch it because I'd rather have it default to "charge".

Frank it doesn't show in explorer window at all. Just device manager
 -Thomas Jefferson