Author Topic: For those of you with GoPros.....  (Read 233 times)

Online Lambchop

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
For those of you with GoPros.....
« on: December 25, 2017, 11:19:47 PM »
Well I wanted to record Logan's 1st Christmas and birthday and whipped out my old mini-camcorder just to find out they no longer make the tapes. So Monika got me a GoPro Hero 5 for Christmas. It was a bundle that came with dual charger, 2 batteries and frame but since I know quite a few of you own them I figured I would ask what other accessories you feel are must haves.

Offline bigdaddymack51

• Rock Crawler
Re: For those of you with GoPros.....
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 05:00:34 AM »
Some of the mounts are wicked cool to have. Im purdy sure I have the dash mount , roll bar mount , which hangs it upside down inside the cage. Then you program it to record upside down and when you edit it , its right side up. Two different fishing rod mounts ! One looks at you and the other watches the rod bend and retrieve of the fish , Do have the hat bill mount but it makes the hat feel weird . They offer just about any mount you can think off , but you will think of them as you use the GoPro more.  FjR68

Offline RobTJ

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 08:37:38 AM »
Get either a floating back panel or a floating handle,  especially for those first swimming videos.  Just in case you let it go back accident.

Two of the best mount I have were home made.   Took the standard GoPro 3M sticky mount and stuck it to a 3" magnet.   Now I can mount it pretty much anywhere on my jeep and quickly swap it to another jeep. 
"We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About..."
1999 "Chili Pepper Red" TJ; Clayton 3-Link; 35s; D30 with Eaton E-Locker; D44 Fully Spooled; 4.88s
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab w/6.4L "Yeah,  it's got a Hemi!"

Offline Angrytj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
  • Luciano
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 10:30:37 AM »
Tripod mount, suction cup mount, and a selfie stick mount is where I'd start.
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 35s, 5in rear stretch, Poison Spyder hiline defender front fenders and rear armor, Rokmen Sliders, custom hiline hood, Synergy front half and custom rear half roll cage, Mastercraft seats, 4pt harness, TJ rubi 44 axles, ARBs, 488 gears, chromo shafts, truss front and rear, front axle is sleeved, tie rod flip, PSC hydro assist steering box and ram, Vanco big brake kit, Raceline beadlocks and other little things.

Online joe98tj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 11:16:50 AM »
Anyone have a good gopro specific drone they recommend?
Mean, Green, Sticker Machine

98 wrangler • 4 cylinder • in progress •

2014 Ram Power Wagon Tow Rig/World Class Gas Guzzler

Offline Angrytj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
  • Luciano
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 11:42:44 AM »
Didn’t gopro make their own drone? Is it called the karma?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 35s, 5in rear stretch, Poison Spyder hiline defender front fenders and rear armor, Rokmen Sliders, custom hiline hood, Synergy front half and custom rear half roll cage, Mastercraft seats, 4pt harness, TJ rubi 44 axles, ARBs, 488 gears, chromo shafts, truss front and rear, front axle is sleeved, tie rod flip, PSC hydro assist steering box and ram, Vanco big brake kit, Raceline beadlocks and other little things.

Online Lambchop

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 12:46:14 PM »
I think I need to pick up a decent gimbal since he is becoming much more mobile but I was looking and those things are stupid expensive

Offline Angrytj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
  • Luciano
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 12:55:55 PM »
I have the Removu S1 which you've seen in person when we were at FnF. Around $300 but I love it and for wheelin videos it makes a big difference.

Offline Marty

• Founding Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • I'm Shaftless
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 01:05:15 PM »
Justin, do your research on the Karma if you plan to go that route - I wouldn't ;)

If you film in 1080 you can knock off a great deal of movement during edit - helps a little if no gimbal.

I let a friend borrow my Hero5 for scuba - was returned in a plastic container filled with rice :(   somehow he got water in it and would not boot up.... he then placed in the rice without rinsing leaving a great deal of salt residue - I have a 5 for parts if you need ;)

Getting the 6... arrives tomorrow :)

The water floater is VERY important if you plan on shooting in water.....

Online Lambchop

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 01:41:04 PM »
I have the Removu S1 which you've seen in person when we were at FnF. Around $300 but I love it and for wheelin videos it makes a big difference.

Yeah the entire Hero 5 bundle was down to $299 at Sams. I have a hard time justifying spending more on a dam gimbal.

Justin, do your research on the Karma if you plan to go that route - I wouldn't ;)

If you film in 1080 you can knock off a great deal of movement during edit - helps a little if no gimbal.

I let a friend borrow my Hero5 for scuba - was returned in a plastic container filled with rice :(   somehow he got water in it and would not boot up.... he then placed in the rice without rinsing leaving a great deal of salt residue - I have a 5 for parts if you need ;)

Getting the 6... arrives tomorrow :)

The water floater is VERY important if you plan on shooting in water.....

To be honest Im not looking to do all that much editing. Just wanted something I could record special events (and the occasional outdoor fun/camping) and upload them to a external hard drive since I can no longer record and save via video tapes. So to make them a bit smoother Id like to eventually get a gimbal.  And I will gladly accept any spare parts just in case.

Offline Necroscope

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
  • What will be, will be...what will be, has been...
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 05:12:32 PM »
I have the mounts that go on your shot gun/rifle, bow & fishing poles. The "chesty" is also a must have. I don't like the one that goes on the bill of a hat. Kind of makes it a little top heavy. However, the one that fits on your head like a hat is ok, even if it looks a little weird. I usually use that one if I'm snorkeling (the chesty works great for that as well). As was said by AngryTJ, the basic ones are the pole mount, suction cup & tripod mount.
In the end, we're all just chalk lines on the concrete. Drawn, only to be washed away...For the time that I've been given...I am what I am...

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 07:43:02 PM »
If you want an inexpensive quad copter to mount a gopro on - I have the Traxxas ATON Pro which comes with a gimball go pro mount

https://traxxas.com/products/landing/Aton/

99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Online joe98tj

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 07:53:53 PM »
I just recieved the hero 5 session. I'm no go pro guy so no idea how it compares to the others. It came with a bundle of different mounts. I'm definitely gonna order the suction cup mount. It came with an adhesive mount which woukd be cool for the dash. Might weld on two ugly tabs to the stinger for nice shots of anyone in front of me. Might think about the drone, my luck with technology is bad though.....

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Mean, Green, Sticker Machine

98 wrangler • 4 cylinder • in progress •

2014 Ram Power Wagon Tow Rig/World Class Gas Guzzler

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 11:54:04 PM »
I have a few permanently adhesive mounts on my TJ...
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 07:12:27 AM »
   Took the standard GoPro 3M sticky mount and stuck it to a 3" magnet.   Now I can mount it pretty much anywhere on my jeep and quickly swap it to another jeep. 

Do this, I barrowed Robs and went back and made my own.  Just make sure you buy the magnet with the Plastic guard, or put electrical tape on the bottom so you don't scratch your Jeep
You can get a Hummer in a Jeep, but you can't get a Jeep in a Hummer!

97 TJ -Clayton Long Arm, 4.56gears, 9" rear/44 Front, Locked F/R, 36" Swampers, Beadlocks, One Ton Steering, full F/R cage and full skids

WIP: CJ Buggy:  V8, 14/60, 5.13's, Locked F/R.  Not sure what else will end up in it

89YJ, 4cyl, Waggy 44's, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers F/R, 37in MTR's, Beadlocks, Full Cage and tubed out front.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Offline RobTJ

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 08:37:19 AM »
A little PVC pipe and some U-Bolts,  and I made a home-made boom to put the camera off the back of the cage.... (used the small handle bar mount to mount it to the boom)

"We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About..."
1999 "Chili Pepper Red" TJ; Clayton 3-Link; 35s; D30 with Eaton E-Locker; D44 Fully Spooled; 4.88s
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab w/6.4L "Yeah,  it's got a Hemi!"