Author Topic: Winch Cable or Rope?  (Read 181 times)

Offline Scotty Dive

• Mall Crawler
Winch Cable or Rope?
« on: December 29, 2017, 03:12:28 PM »
I have a SmittyBilt XRC 8 that I use occasionally for winching a dead vehicle onto a trailer and use it primarily in the woods moving fallen trees and logs and the occasional boulder.  I strap the winch to a tree and winch logs up to it.  The damn thing is pretty friggin heavy with the steel cable on it and carting it through the woods is always a challenge.  So I was considering replacing it with rope.  But I have have two primary questions that I thought you guys would know the answers to.  1. Will I wear through the rope quickly since there are so many rocks in the woods and unforeseen hazards when dragging a 20 foot log?  And, if Rope is a solution for my application - I see prices of 3/8", 100 footers from $100 to over $300 - are the $300 versions worth it (and if they are I will probably just keep the steel cable :(.....)
Thanks,

Scotty Dive
70 Jeepster Commando
84 CJ 7

Online A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Winch Cable or Rope?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 03:33:43 PM »
Personally for that application I’d stay away from synthetic. It can’t take the beating that wire rope can.
'16 JKR, Rock Krawler 3.5" Long Arm Off-Road Pro, 35" Nitto Trail Graplers

Build thread http://forum.northeastjeep.org/index.php?topic=38405.new#new

Offline Scotty Dive

• Mall Crawler
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 11:37:14 AM »
Makes sense...However I was hoping synthetic rope would be a viable solution!
Thanks,

Scotty Dive
70 Jeepster Commando
84 CJ 7

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 11:59:26 AM »
Wire isn't that heavy.  You will loose only a few lbs.  The weight isn't in the wire.  For the price of Synthetic, try looking into a 2-3K winch.

If you want to switch, Tractor Supply has  80ft of Synthetic and fairleads cheap. 
You can get a Hummer in a Jeep, but you can't get a Jeep in a Hummer!

97 TJ -Clayton Long Arm, 4.56gears, 9" rear/44 Front, Locked F/R, 36" Swampers, Beadlocks, One Ton Steering, full F/R cage and full skids

WIP: CJ Buggy:  V8, 14/60, 5.13's, Locked F/R.  Not sure what else will end up in it

89YJ, 4cyl, Waggy 44's, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers F/R, 37in MTR's, Beadlocks, Full Cage and tubed out front.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Offline Paul'TheGuest'W

• Rock Crawler
  • uh-oh he posted another avatar.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 09:33:59 PM »
Mount the winch to a vehicle.
OMG, this guys avatar may get me in trouble at work.  Not the personal use of company property, I'm safe there.  Its his avatar that's going to get me in trouble.  Phew its gone, now I can get back to screwing off on company time!!

Offline bigdaddymack51

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 06:51:09 AM »
How bout using a smaller diameter wire cable ? Thats less weight, Maybe shorter if you dont need a 100 feet. Most winches want a wrap on the drum and whats out for reach.   Tractor supply has a two wheel dolly with a long handle to move boats or other trailers around. Modify that to pull the winch in the woods.   FjR68 

Offline Scotty Dive

• Mall Crawler
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »
All great ideas...thanks!!!!
Thanks,

Scotty Dive
70 Jeepster Commando
84 CJ 7

Offline CitizenwithJeep

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready