Author Topic: Radiator Recommendations  (Read 504 times)

Offline Horn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
Radiator Recommendations
« on: January 17, 2018, 10:15:28 PM »
I started tracking down a coolent leak this week that sometimes pools on the ground under the radiator and doesn't appear to be the top hose at least.

I borrowed a cooling system pressure tester but the snow today made it impossible to get a good look at what was going on so I'm still working on locating it. I did get a good laugh at myself after I thought I could block the falling snow with the hood while I investigated. Didn't work. Everything got wet.

In the meantime it got me to start researching radiators in case I need one sooner rather than later. From what I've picked up it seems like if I need to change it out this would be a good time to change to something with an OEM fit but all metal rather than the plastic and metal OEM construction that seems failure prone. Any suggestions to narrow down my research? 

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
Re: Radiator Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 10:43:03 PM »
I upgraded to an Aluminum 3 row in my YJ before I sold it after the original brass/copper unit was replaced with a plastic unit - the Aluminum unit dropped temps by 10 degrees...  My new to me 99 TJ has a full aluminum Griffin unit the previous owner installed, auto trans, wheeling with the AC on in August - temps never got above 205 (even driving at elevation heading back up the switchback in the Berkshires)
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline HankD

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 05:47:55 AM »
Water pump?
nada! Shopping for parts for new build.

Offline bigdaddymack51

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:15:52 AM »
I also use a "Griffin"  aluminum 3 core with out a shroud . (Never had one)   It added .5gal to the system and dropped the temp by 10/15 degrees . In the dead of summer , wheelin I could get as high as  200/205.  Its a 74 CJ and you know they used to run between 165/185.  It now runs a comfortable 185 and never changes.  FjR68

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:16:47 AM »
Tripple core all brass...
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline Horn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 08:23:28 AM »
Water pump?

Thanks. I'll check it. 

Offline XtraChrisP

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
  • Yup
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 11:39:01 AM »
I went through several griffin aluminum radiators. Both started leaking within a year. First one got replaced through warranty, and boy was their customer service lousy. I would order an aluminum one but I won’t be buying a griffin one again. I think I replaced it with a Champion aluminum that was about half the cost of Griffin and it already has a wicked slow leak too, but no puddles on the ground, just the smell of coolant occasionally wafting by
2005 LJ Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 5.5 Clayton Long Arm, 1.25" JKS body lift, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 07:08:02 PM »
I had the Champion one in my YJ with dual electric fans.  If I had to buy one again - I'd probably do Champion over Griffin...
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

Offline King of the Hill

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • The best beer in the world is the one in your hand
    • Jeeps on the Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 07:57:38 PM »
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-radiator-431512/15920041-P

I put this stock Advanced auto radiator in my 97 Sahara, automatic, never had a problem  About $115 with the 20% discount.

Check the weep hole on the waterpump for a leak(drip).  Grab the fan and see if there is any slop in the shaft.  Any play at all and the water pump is shot.

Checking Amazon,  I found this 3 row aluminum for just a little more.

https://www.amazon.com/ALLOYWORKS-Aluminum-Radiator-Wrangler-1987-2006/dp/B01E36KYL6/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1516323263&vehicle=1997-42-356-------------0&sr=1-3&keywords=97+wrangler+aluminum+radiator.

75 CJ-5        Plow Jeep Still for Sale - $800 w/4way plow
77 CJ-5        Red Jeep - 401, T18, Locked F&R
77 CJ-7        Sons Jeep - Built from Race Jeep remnants
79 CJ-7        Q-Track - Aging gracefully in the woods(well, not much left)
84 CJ-7        Rock Jeep - BYS  (Big Yellow Shitbox) on one tons
95 Wrangler  Sons commuter Jeep - bone stock 4 popper
97 TJ           Black Jeep on Slinkys
04 Grand Cherokee Overland - Wife's Jeep,  Too nice for me!

Offline Mr. Easy

• Administrator
  • Rock Crawler
    • 72 scamp
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 09:03:22 PM »
Get a standard replacement radiator and a electric fan. You won't have any overheating problems.
"it's like you're playing the triangle"

Offline XtraChrisP

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
  • Yup
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 05:37:12 AM »
I forgot to mention I did an electric fan. Works great. Only time I overheated was going up mount washington
2005 LJ Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 5.5 Clayton Long Arm, 1.25" JKS body lift, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 09:05:46 AM »
I miss the days of the all metal brass OEM radiators (no plastic)  Am I the only one old enough that remembers when you could bring your leaking radiator to a shop and have it re-cored or brazed to make it like brand new again?

Online RedJeepster1

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 09:26:02 AM »
I miss the days of the all metal brass OEM radiators (no plastic)  Am I the only one old enough that remembers when you could bring your leaking radiator to a shop and have it re-cored or brazed to make it like brand new again?

My father still does this. For small repairs he brazes them himself. He's pretty old school though. Still better at welding with torches than a mig welder.
88 YJ, D30, D35, 4.10's, 4.6L Stroker, MPFI, Skyjacker 2.5" Lift, 33's
00 XJ, HP30, Front Truss, WJ Knuckles, High Steer, 3 link, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromo's, IRO Leafs, 4.56's, Rebuilt 4.0, JK Rubi Wheels, 35's

Offline Horn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »

I remember having something like that done to the radiator of my BMW 1600 when I was in high school. If I remember correctly I had it re-cored.  When I get home I'm going to go take a look. First day I drove it on my 18th birthday a hose split and the first real work on it I did was replacing most of the cooling system.

Offline Horn

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 10:53:06 AM »
So between Tuesday and Wednesday I added about 3/4 of a gallon of coolant and it seemed to leak sometime after cooling off.  Left puddles but I never saw it actually leak. Yesterday, no leaks even with several full warm up and cool down cycles. Today still nothing. I just checked it during a break.
No movement I can feel from the fan. Saturday I'll give it a good inspection.

Even if nothing to be done now I'm starting to plan for some cooling system work this summer.

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 11:12:29 AM »
Tis why I bought a brass radiator - repairable
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline XtraChrisP

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
  • Yup
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 02:32:25 PM »
If you can, take your fan shroud off and check under it for dried drippings. Also check around both hoses going to radiator and make sure they are good and tight. Gotta find out where it’s leaking before you start replacing things. Could just need a new hose or hose clamp.... 

Make sure you check around the thermostat housing for leaks too

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 04:27:34 PM »

I remember having something like that done to the radiator of my BMW 1600 when I was in high school. If I remember correctly I had it re-cored.  When I get home I'm going to go take a look. First day I drove it on my 18th birthday a hose split and the first real work on it I did was replacing most of the cooling system.

That's definitely a dying art! I know one guy in Hamden that still does it.
'16 JKR, Rock Krawler 3.5" Long Arm Off-Road Pro, 35" Nitto Trail Graplers

Build thread http://forum.northeastjeep.org/index.php?topic=38405.new#new

Offline Right Wing Curmudgeon!!!

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 04:31:50 PM »
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 05:47:32 PM »
Very few know the pepper and egg trick. Yer showing your age Dude!

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 06:37:58 PM »
Very few know the pepper and egg trick. Yer showing your age Dude!

Knew that one. Guess I'm either an old soul or simply a redneck (probably both)

Offline Mr. Easy

• Administrator
  • Rock Crawler
    • 72 scamp
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 06:43:58 PM »
If it doesn't fix the leak at least your jeep will smell better
"it's like you're playing the triangle"

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 06:48:53 PM »

[/quote]

Redneck

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

Offline Red Rocker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 07:27:29 PM »
IIRC yours is an 05 with an automatic tranny so make sure you get the correct radiator with the tranny cooler in it.

OEM Mopar radiators seem to last the longest, if you are draining the system anyway replace the water pump while your there, and change out the thermostat to a 180 degrees too.

The Mopar is more expensive then the aftermarket ones but should outlast them from what I have read.

Amazon listing. https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-5503-7653AC-Radiator/dp/B0049ELCHI

If yours is a 04 I think there's a different part number for it.

16 JKURR

"A threesome is not really cheating......the two girls cancel each other out"

Offline A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 08:06:03 PM »

Redneck
[/quote]

Definitely that!