Author Topic: Trailer Suggestions  (Read 336 times)

Offline Red Rocker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
Trailer Suggestions
« on: February 13, 2018, 09:52:22 PM »
Been looking at open car trailers and have decided on at least a 10,000 gvw rated trailer since a 7,000 lb trailer will be at the max with a jeep on it, and thinking a 18 foot length.

I looked at tilt deck trailers, regular pull out ramp drive on trailers along with wood deck and metal deck ones, and the aluminum ones are a bit pricey.

Do those of you that have used them for a while have any preferences for a particular type and what do you think makes them a better trailer for towing around a Jeep.

Thanks for any info

16 JKURR

"A threesome is not really cheating......the two girls cancel each other out"

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Trailer Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 09:55:50 PM »
Mine is 7k, 16’ and max every bit of it. I’d prefer 18’ slant back.
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline MattG

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • Probie of the year!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:39:12 PM »
What else you gonna use it for?
***** TOM FOR PREZ 2017 ******
MAKE NORTHEAST JEEP GREAT AGAIN!

Online A new level

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:34:54 AM »
Don't get one that's 10k get one that's 9,950. 10k is when it opens you to scrutiny with the truck cops. Depending on how the truck is registered and what sate you're in might need CDL A as well.
'16 JKR, Rock Krawler 3.5" Long Arm Off-Road Pro, 35" Nitto Trail Graplers

Build thread http://forum.northeastjeep.org/index.php?topic=38405.new#new

Offline MassJK

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 06:14:24 AM »
Anything that's has a non rv trailer that is over 10k is subject to cdl regulation
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Offline 50willysM38

• NEJEEP Member
  • Web Wheeler
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 07:08:38 AM »
Only if the combined gvw of truck and trailer is over 26001  if it is not being used commercially you should be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 TJ, 35" BFG Mud Terrains, 4 inch currie lift,
Stock Willys M38

Offline bigdaddymack51

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 07:15:51 AM »
I have a "Deande"  pronounced  D&D . My 19' twin ramp , open center was built in 1989. It has surge brakes and other than replacing brakes and one master cylinder,  Its still going strong. It sits most of the time , Hauls my Jeep , and at one time or another , every family vehicle we've owned. Some friends have used it , and remark that loaded or not you dont feel it behind you.  Good Co. to deal with also and has every part on hand if you need something. They will also build to suit. Check them out.     FjR68

Online Right Wing Curmudgeon!!!

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 08:36:42 AM »
It all depends on how much you tow.  I love my 7000 lb 16 foot, slant deck.  It has alot of uses for me.  From hauling wood pellets, decking, my tractor and the primary use my Jeep.  If I were to do it again, I would go with the 18, its easier to tie the jeep down, and go with a full deck to get the most out of its utility.  Unless you are going to up armor your jeep and go with Dana 60s, a 7000 will be fine.
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Offline sedge1080

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 12:21:41 PM »
-16ft is to short for a TJ, it works but it makes it difficult for strapping down, 18 is much better, but if your putting a 4dr JK on it, you may need to go 20'.  Everyone who has commented so far has a CJ/TJ/TJ.

-Ours is a open deck, its great for maintinace, but my next one will be a solid deck.  Easier to strap down gear and easier to use with non vehicle loads.

-DO NOT buy an Anderson, We bought new and have had nothing but problems with the wiring, tires and they only primed the front half when they painted it.

-Another thing to look at is if you want a dove-tailed deck, or strait.  Dove is nice, but it drags a lot.  This will also change what you have for ramps.  Or if you use Ramps when loading/unloading.

-Make sure you have at least 1, if not 2 spare tires, if your at RC and blow a tire, you will be making the haul home with no spare.
      -If you buy used, make sure all tires, including spares are Trailer tires, you will overheat and blow out a passanger tire.

You can get a Hummer in a Jeep, but you can't get a Jeep in a Hummer!

97 TJ -Clayton Long Arm, 4.56gears, 9" rear/44 Front, Locked F/R, 36" Swampers, Beadlocks, One Ton Steering, full F/R cage and full skids

WIP: CJ Buggy:  V8, 14/60, 5.13's, Locked F/R.  Not sure what else will end up in it

89YJ, 4cyl, Waggy 44's, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers F/R, 37in MTR's, Beadlocks, Full Cage and tubed out front.

04 Silverado- Tow Rig,

Online Space Shuttle Commander

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 12:31:54 PM »
for a 4 door jk I would go with 20 or 22 feet

What are you towing the jk with ?
Sometimes I get to drive Becca's Jeep

**** ALAN TASTE GOOD  ****

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 01:31:10 PM »
for a 4 door jk I would go with 20 or 22 feet

What are you towing the jk with ?

This...
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

(John Wayne)

Offline Miley Cyrus

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 05:31:50 PM »
I have a 15’ trailer and i tow the tj fine all the time and I have even towed the white buffalo (2001 ram quad cab short bed)which was reincarnated as Rudolph to locals lol. It isn’t that hard to strap down just on the the larger vehicle it is easier to strap the rear towards front of trailer and front of truck to rear of trailer. The only issue was the nose of the truck is so long it was all the way over the a frame of trailer and close to tow vehicle tailgate but wasn’t too close to hot or anything.

Longer trailer just makes it easier to secure and add items.

I’m sorry Bruce I know what I am doing and have done is all wrong and blasphemy.

Offline MassJK

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 05:54:21 PM »
People lose their minds when you strap the front to the back and the back to the front
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Offline Miley Cyrus

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 05:58:06 PM »
Lol I know but it holds it just fine and I needed a way to get the truck out of marty and robins yard lol but I see flat bed tow drivers do the front back swap with chains into the frame holes but they add the straps over the wheels too

Offline MassJK

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 06:09:20 PM »
Car haulers have been doing it for years with 5/16 chain.    No wheel straps or over kill

Offline Miley Cyrus

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 06:10:01 PM »
True

Offline MassJK

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 06:31:55 PM »
Bruce will tell us they are wrong and should do it his way

Offline Miley Cyrus

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 06:35:55 PM »
Well don’t you know we are all wrong we didn’t follow the sacred rules of Bruce hahaha

Online Space Shuttle Commander

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 07:07:05 PM »
Let's not forget the wheel spacer debate
Sometimes I get to drive Becca's Jeep

**** ALAN TASTE GOOD  ****

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 07:07:27 PM »
I'm just dreading the day you do something incredibly stupid and in character, and end up hurting someone in the club that I care for. :rolleyes:

Pick on me all you want.  I know who I'm talking too, even if some dont. :eek:

(John Wayne)

Offline MassJK

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 07:20:01 PM »
you may want to open your mind a bit.     

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 07:25:41 PM »
you may want to open your mind a bit.     

You own a JK..... :rotflmao:

(John Wayne)

Offline MassJK

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 07:36:22 PM »
and so far it has done everything I have asked for it to do.   questioning the ability of a vehicle and the ability of a person is a vastly different thing.  in this situation I have been impressed by both.

its ok to be wrong just make sure you learn from it 

Offline YJScrounge

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 07:42:00 PM »
Wow, this went off the rails quick. The guy was just asking for trailer input...
"This situation requires an immature act be carried out on someone's behalf - We're just the guys to do it!" - Animal House

93YJ: Waggy 44 HD's F&R, Rear Detroit Locker, Front Eaton Elec Selectable, 5:13 Motive, Anti-Wrap Bar, WARN Hubs, 6" Lift on 35" Mud Terrains, 4.0 HO w/K&N Air Tube, Live Wire Ignition, WARN 8,000 lb Winch, AtoZ Cage and Sliders, FX Tuner Seats w/Harnesses, OBA, SOA

01 RAM Cummins Tow Rig

01 WJ: Son's DD/Mall Crawler, 2" Budget Boost, Skyjacker Shocks, JK 17" Wheels back-up Tow Rig

Offline MassJK

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 07:47:00 PM »
funny how that stuff works.

tis why I keep a tight hold on the 4sale section