Author Topic: Trailer Suggestions  (Read 339 times)

Offline Miley Cyrus

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
Re: Trailer Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 08:39:22 PM »
Omg I even forgot that when towing Rudolph, it was towed with a 2003 f150 which prolly Didn’t have the rating for the job, and it took all it had to get it from Hebron to Watertown, and the tires has canyons in the you could fit multiple quarters into lol.

Prolly won’t do that again.

Offline bigdaddymack51

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 09:06:32 PM »
That was exactly my next question . What are you towing it with ? Just cause it rated to tow that much , you have to pay attention to tongue weight .  I load every vehicle till the spreaders are tilted lower in front , just a bit . That makes the load balanced on the trailer with tongue weight most trucks can handle .  Some people have used a bathroom scale to check this. Not enough and the trailer wags all over the place . To much , the tow vehicle wont steer for crap.    FjR68

Offline Mr. Easy

• Administrator
  • Rock Crawler
    • 72 scamp
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 09:10:05 PM »
That was exactly my next question . What are you towing it with ? Just cause it rated to tow that much , you have to pay attention to tongue weight .  I load every vehicle till the spreaders are tilted lower in front , just a bit . That makes the load balanced on the trailer with tongue weight most trucks can handle .  Some people have used a bathroom scale to check this. Not enough and the trailer wags all over the place . To much , the tow vehicle wont steer for crap.    FjR68

what are spreaders?
"it's like you're playing the triangle"

Offline Miley Cyrus

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 09:54:53 PM »
Yes if anything more tongue weight than less you will live longer, the sway of you don’t know what is going on or how to correct it is ridiculous when too much weight too far back. If you try to correct it will get bigger and bigger of away to the point of almost lifting and moving the whole front of vehicle.

Offline Red Rocker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 10:18:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I should of included some more details.

I'll just mostly use it to tow my JKU to off road rides and maybe the LJ once in a while but once I have a trailer I'm sure I'll find other uses for it like taking my lawn mower and leaf vac over to my dads house to help clean up his yard.
I'll pull it with my Chevy 2500 pick up. And I have a CDL class A with all the endorsements so no problems with that if it ever comes up

I have been looking at Sure-Trac trailers, the steel deck trailers that are 18' have a 14' deck with a 4' beavertail but the tails do hang a little low, I guess there more of a car trailer, they also have a 18' with a wood deck that has a 16' deck with a 2' beavertail that's a little higher in the back, there both at a 23" deck height.

The other one I have been looking at is a Hawke 18' steel tilt deck, obviously a flat 18' deck on that and nothing hanging down low in the back which could save on some asphalt scraping.

They all have electric brakes on both axles

The prices are all about the same, I'll just have to take a ride to Pennsylvania to get a good deal on the Hawke.

From what everyone has been saying I think the full 18' deck Hawke may be the best choice.

16 JKURR

"A threesome is not really cheating......the two girls cancel each other out"

Offline bigdaddymack51

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 06:53:22 AM »
Mr. Easy ::::    Spreaders are the links between the leaf springs in between the tires. There are three pivot points and its shaped like a shallow triangle. When all the weight is right over them it will be even to look at. As you go forward it puts more weight on the front set of springs causing it to dip lower. You will find the right spot when loading the same Jeep on the same trailer. I actually put a spot of paint so when I load I get that spot to the center of the front wheels and TaDa , it tows great.  One more thing to look at is width "Between" the fenders.  Depending on tire size and off set , you may have to build ramps outta wood or something more permanent to get the front tires over the fenders.   I personally would bypass a beavertail simply it drags alot . In and out your driveway for one. Field & Forest will show you . OFR if you guys still use the gravel lot to meet up. The flat trailers are average 20/24" deck height. You guys drive over stuff bigger than that. I hardly ever use my ramps unless its wet. I also installed a tilt crank jack to the rear middle crossmember. During load and unload the trailer dips raising the trucks rear. By pulling the pin and rotating the jack I use just enough pressure to support the tail end of the trailer getting on or off.    FjR68

Offline Miley Cyrus

• NEJEEP Member
  • Trail Ready
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 07:23:30 AM »
Yeah ask rob what happened to my trailer when it clipped a rock coming back from fall crawl trail. Tom has a picture of bumper was no straight piece on the bumper, ended up doing a spring over conversion on my trailer and doesn’t scrape anymore