Author Topic: Bully dog GT tuner 6.4 powerstroke.  (Read 285 times)

Offline Paul'TheGuest'W

• Rock Crawler
  • uh-oh he posted another avatar.
Bully dog GT tuner 6.4 powerstroke.
« on: February 14, 2018, 01:20:34 PM »
Came out of a 2008 f350 6.4 powerstroke that was traded in.  Operational when removed.  $150 shipped.
OMG, this guys avatar may get me in trouble at work.  Not the personal use of company property, I'm safe there.  Its his avatar that's going to get me in trouble.  Phew its gone, now I can get back to screwing off on company time!!

Offline Right Wing Curmudgeon!!!

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
Re: Bully dog GT tuner 6.4 powerstroke.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 01:28:22 PM »
Hmmm... more detail/model number.
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Offline Paul'TheGuest'W

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 02:41:34 PM »
Hmmm... more detail/model number.

I'll power it up when I get home and get whatever info I can off it.
OMG, this guys avatar may get me in trouble at work.  Not the personal use of company property, I'm safe there.  Its his avatar that's going to get me in trouble.  Phew its gone, now I can get back to screwing off on company time!!

Online MasterDrazhar

• Honorary Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 'F' with me? I'll STAB YA!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 02:48:10 PM »
 Not hijacking or anything, but...

Careful with the Bullydog on the Ford.... If you have some of the Delete's, such as (the EGR delete) it does NOT have the bypasses for them to not throw up the check engine light or to handle the needed adjustments... 

Other tuners also no longer have the bypasses, such as the newer SCT tuners...(I got bit by this one)

If you have any of the deletes you need to go to a higher end tuner such as the H&S Mini Maxx which is BIG $$$  (like $1300), or find one that can handle the deletes you have.

So pay special attention to the tuner if you have the DPF, EGR or CAT deletes...

If not, the Bullydog is a good tuner....
Profile for Team_Oscar

Quote from: Sweet Cheeks Bitty
Nasty and ill-tempered?  I'll show you nasty and ill-tempered you old pinworm...

Quote from: Theo Maassen
Optimists are badly informed Pessimists.[/quote

Offline Right Wing Curmudgeon!!!

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • NE Jeep South Carolina Chapter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 02:53:34 PM »
I have not deleted anything.  Bone stock.  Good info! :mrgreen:
03 Rubicon, 4 inch Clayton Short Arm Lift, Rokmen TT and Gas Tank Skids, TW DS front and Rear, 1 inch Daystar BL, 35x12.5-15 Cooper STTs, Warn 9.5ti winch.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.(George Patton)

Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

Online MasterDrazhar

• Honorary Members
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 03:04:20 PM »

In that case, it's a good tuner and at $150 a good deal.  I'd take it, but I have the deletes.
Profile for Team_Oscar

Nasty and ill-tempered?  I'll show you nasty and ill-tempered you old pinworm...

Offline Paul'TheGuest'W

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 07:35:55 PM »
30v6s0g6a002h is the only number on it, and it appears to be a serial number.

I'm resonably sure it's this one.

https://www.bullydog.com/products/bd/BDGTPD/bully-dog-gt-diesel?vehicleYear=2008&vehicleMakeId=5&vehicleModelId=191&vehicleEngineId=47

Offline Paul'TheGuest'W

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 07:41:54 PM »

In that case, it's a good tuner and at $150 a good deal.  I'd take it, but I have the deletes.

Put the stuff back in and buy mine!!

Offline JeepinMaxx

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
  • E-Mail - ffederico@brierlylombard.com
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 07:52:44 PM »
Wow - checking out the spec's on that programmer - quite the power adder  :eek:  I like how it let's you set the fog lights to stay on with the high beams
99TJ Tummy Tuck and SYE, Front D30 with alloy shafts, Detroit locker 4.56, Rear D44, ARB locker 4.56.  Detoursusa.com Rear bumper, Superwinch EP9000 Front Cage

"We don't need more gun control - we need ASSHOLE CONTROL"

Offline Red Rocker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 10:28:19 PM »
Not sure about the bully but a lot of tuners are VIN locked to the 1 vehicle when installed in and must be returned to stock tune before removal or they won't work with another vehicle, if it was just unplugged from the truck then it might not work in another.
16 JKURR

"A threesome is not really cheating......the two girls cancel each other out"

Offline bigdaddymack51

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 07:02:50 AM »
A lot of Co. will have you send it back to unlock it. Thats how they stop a bunch of guys splitting the cast and tuning 4 trucks. How much better is the 6.4 over the 6.0 ? In reliability I mean. My 6.0 is deleted but still on bolts Vs. studs. Stock tune and a 4" exhaust , with cat and muffler. Empty on a trip I get 20/21 MPGs depending on speed. Towing i get 15/17 depending where were going. I dont see any need in killing that or the motor . Its a tow truck , I can go fast in something else.    FjR68

Online MasterDrazhar

• Honorary Members
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 08:36:02 AM »
Put the stuff back in and buy mine!!

Can't Previous owner did the deletes, and it would cost a small fortune to put them back in...  plus...  WHY???   :razz:

A lot of Co. will have you send it back to unlock it. Thats how they stop a bunch of guys splitting the cast and tuning 4 trucks. How much better is the 6.4 over the 6.0 ? In reliability I mean. My 6.0 is deleted but still on bolts Vs. studs. Stock tune and a 4" exhaust , with cat and muffler. Empty on a trip I get 20/21 MPGs depending on speed. Towing i get 15/17 depending where were going. I dont see any need in killing that or the motor . Its a tow truck , I can go fast in something else.    FjR68

My 6.0 had ZERO problems, other than when the AC went out on it (No delete option for the AC on the 2003 so it HAD to be replaced).  Mine had all the deletes but wasn't studded.  When I sold it EVERY prospective buyer turned their noses up at it cuz it wasn't studded...  but I had no problems with it at all...  Body was rotting around it, but that drivetrain would have kept going for another 300K.
Profile for Team_Oscar

Offline MassJK

• Global Moderator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 09:17:15 AM »
Pawn shop not chitchat
Quote from: Mrs. Whoopie Pies
Then we have those guys that feel like constant cornmeal in ones pants . Alan for example.

Offline Paul'TheGuest'W

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 09:42:16 AM »
Not sure about the bully but a lot of tuners are VIN locked to the 1 vehicle when installed in and must be returned to stock tune before removal or they won't work with another vehicle, if it was just unplugged from the truck then it might not work in another.

So the truck we just sold may still be tuned?

Offline Red Rocker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 09:54:16 AM »

If it's the type of tuner that plugs into the OBD port then yes the truck that was sold could still have the tune in it if it wasn't returned to stock tune before it was unplugged.
If it had a DPF delete and there was no check engine light on what it was sold then there's a good chance the tune is still in it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

16 JKURR

Offline Paul'TheGuest'W

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 09:56:56 AM »

If it's the type of tuner that plugs into the OBD port then yes the truck that was sold could still have the tune in it if it wasn't returned to stock tune before it was unplugged.
If it had a DPF delete and there was no check engine light on what it was sold then there's a good chance the tune is still in it.

Intake and exhaust were the only visible mods.  DPF is still present, and I replaced the EGR valve and cooler core for the CEL.

Offline Red Rocker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Mall Crawler
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 10:14:24 AM »

Intake and exhaust were the only visible mods.  DPF is still present, and I replaced the EGR valve and cooler core for the CEL.
So the intake and exhaust alone don't need a tune
But if the Ecm was tuned by the bully and not detuned before it was unplugged then the tune is still in the Ecm.

Most tuners that plug into the obd port remove the factory "tune" and then they upload there own tune into the Ecm.
The factory tune is stored on the bully dog until whatever time you want to return it to stock and the process is reversed.
After the bully dog Tunes the factory ECM it basically just becomes a display for oil pressure,  boost whatever gauges you have set up on it.

This prevents multiple people from using the same tuner on multiple trucks.

16 JKURR

Online MasterDrazhar

• Honorary Members
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 11:42:44 AM »

If I recall corectly the Bullydog GT tuner is one of the "shift on the fly" tuners where you can retune as you go and holds a number of modes, Sport, Tow, smoke, etc...

So whatever the last tune used would still be in the truck, and the stock OEM tune would be in the tuner.

Each tuner is different, the SCT tuner for example will allow you to tune another truck and has a counter that is only factory resetable...  (So if you drained the battery and lost the tune, that's tick off a "Use" counter.  BD might have something similar, ortherwise contact BullyDog and they can probably get your squared away for re-use.

It's just to keep 10 guys from splitting the cost of a tuner and doing all of their trucks...

Profile for Team_Oscar

Offline Paul'TheGuest'W

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 01:26:55 PM »
Vehicle it came from was returned to stock today.  Unit shows "uninstalled" as of now.  It's on ebay for another day.  If you want it I need to know before 6:00 to cancel tbe auction.