Author Topic: Powder Ridge Ski Area  (Read 13644 times)

Offline tiggertj

• Rock Crawler
Powder Ridge Ski Area
« on: February 21, 2006, 05:44:47 PM »
MIDDLEFIELD -- A Middlefield ski area wants the public's help in securing its future.

Powder Ridge closed earlier this month because of lack of snow -- but has since reopened.

The owner and the First Selectman of Middlefield will be at a focus group meeting Saturday to get your feedback on how to keep Powder Ridge in business -- and in town for years to come.

The meeting is at the Slopeside Pub at Powder Ridge at 8:30 a.m.

I wonder if they would consider opening the park to ORV's?

xjmark

Re: Powder Ridge Ski Area
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 06:13:56 PM »
Tina, is this going to be held this coming Saturday? I didn't see a definate date posted.

I wonder how much of the surrounding land they own? It could be a viable option for them. Wouldn't cost them much to open up some trails, and they already have insurance for high-risk recreation.

BTW, the pub opens at noon if I remember correctly. :wink:

Offline tiggertj

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 06:26:20 PM »
Hey Mark,

I pulled that off the WFSB.com web page. That's all the info I could find on the meeting.

T.

Offline cjshloman

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • Wanna see my totem pole?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 07:02:40 PM »
I wonder if they own anything on the other side of the mtn....there are a bunch of trails back there.  That would be sweet.  Bull.
My girlfriend can't fight, but you should see her box.....

'98 TJ, 3" BDS, 33" TSL Swamper's, lite body armour, plow.......stay tuned...Bull is coming back to the wheeling scene BITCHES!!!!

Offline tiggertj

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 07:36:33 PM »
I tried to call them...no answer. Just a voice mail box.

T.

Offline Mrs. Whoopie Pies

• Founding Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • girls fart glitter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 05:31:16 PM »
This is hearsay - someone else who lives in Middlefield or nearby may be able to confirm or discredit - I heard that Powder Ridge has been trying to open a waterpark on the property during the warmer months but that local residents are holding it up because they don't want the traffic a waterpark would bring.

Is anyone interested in going?  8:30am is terribly early for a Saturday morning but I'm willing to try!!!
"Well behaved women rarely make history."

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
~Eleanor Roosevelt

/dev/null

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 09:38:15 PM »
Yes- Powder Ditch has been trying to pass zoning for a waterpark for years. As with most places in CT, residential developers have their eye on the land and they've got all the financial backing. One year (surprised it wasn't this year), they're going to close and the land sold off.

Offline beaker

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • chillin and grillin
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 10:32:16 PM »
I'd be up for a 8:30 run over to powder pimple.  How close are the neighboring houses?  Will noise from motorized vehicles be an issue?  Something to check on.  Most of our trucks are quiet but so we can go where atv's and bikes can't.  If anyone has a paragon pamphlet might be useful too.  Show that it is a business that can make money if the land is there.  What's there snow / land moving equipement like can it bull doze ruts into smooth runs for skiing in the winter?  Will it be an issue?

Can we get any info on the rock crawl we put on.  Maybe some pics.  We could set up a long rock crawl up one of the ski runs which should entertain a few heavy duty rock crawlers.

Ski tickets on the right.   :biggrin: :biggrin:

Crawling tickets on the left.   :twisted: :twisted:
"Abe Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal." Unknown

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mrs. Whoopie Pies

• Founding Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • girls fart glitter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 08:53:12 AM »
Good ideas Bernie!  It would also be useful to check Middlefield's zoning regs as well.  I believe they are online and will print them today.
"Well behaved women rarely make history."

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
~Eleanor Roosevelt

Shrek

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 11:15:03 AM »
Ski tickets on the right.   :biggrin: :biggrin:

Crawling tickets on the left.   :twisted: :twisted:
no no no
 crawl up ski down

/dev/null

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 09:08:42 AM »
Just a follow-up, the town is trying to buy the land to prevent residential development. They know once the land is sold to a developer, the town will be pushed aside.

http://www.middletownpress.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16995375&BRD=1645&PAG=461&dept_id=10856&rfi=6

Brayshaw wants deal finalized
By: Matthew Engelhardt
08/02/2006

MIDDLEFIELD - First Selectman Jon Brayshaw is pushing that the town moves quickly on its offer to buy the property that is home to Powder Ridge.

The Board of Selectmen reached a deal recently with owner Ken Leavitt to purchase the property outright. According to Middlefield Financial Director Joseph Geruch, Leavitt signed a "memorandum of understanding" for the town to buy the land for $3.6 million.

However, in order for the deal to go through, it first needs to be approved by the Board of Finance, who would then set a special meeting to send the purchase to a town-wide referendum. According to Brayshaw, the window of opportunity for success is small, and fast action may be necessary for what he called a critical point in the future of the town.
"We are at a fork in the road," Brayshaw said. "Ken Leavitt rightfully needs to have an answer. There's no question that this is a big one."

According to Brayshaw, the deal is a "win-win" situation for Middlefield. He said it achieves several goals, including preserving open space, buffering educational taxes by preventing the land from becoming a residential zone and keeping the town's character intact.

"It achieves everything the town wants to achieve at, interestingly enough, the lowest cost to taxpayers," Brayshaw said.
The $3.6 million would buy the land only and not the ski area. According to Brayshaw, Leavitt could very well sell the resort as soon as the land deal is finalized.

The increase in taxes to the residents would only be about one mill, according to Brayshaw. That would cover the 278 acres of land and allow the town to lease to take property to Leavitt or potential new owners of the resort.

If the town stalls, the effects could be bad for all parties involved. Leavitt may decide to sell the property to another bidder, which Brayshaw said was his right as a businessman. If the town hesitates and Leavitt decides to stick with the deal, his personal business could be hurt by an inability to prepare for the winter.

Brayshaw said that the deal would not be easy for the Board of Finance to take all at once, but speed is a factor. According to the First Selectman, the Board of Finance plans to request a new appraisal done on the property to make sure it is a good deal.

Brayshaw is also eager to receive public opinion on the deal. In the beginning of the process, the Board of Selectmen had suggested purchasing the excess land that was not being utilized for skiing. Following two public hearings during the winter, the direction of the acquisition changed.

"It became more and more evident that the people were willing to buy the whole enchilada," Brayshaw said.
The Board of Selectman worked with Leavitt and an attorney for the Board of Finance to settle on a deal, according to Brayshaw. It was a long process that the First Selectman said he took on as a result of the majority of the town's sentiment.
"I didn't intend to get out of bed in the morning and go knocking on Ken Leavitt's door," Brayshaw said.

Leavitt will appear before the Board of Finance on Thursday to discuss the deal. Brayshaw is hoping the meeting will go well, and that the matter can then go to a public hearing to discuss the acquisition with the residents.

While Brayshaw said the town would like to keep the ski area operational, it will look to lease the property and not run the resort itself. He said that would be a bad idea that would open the space to vandalism and theft.

"The name of the game is the land," Brayshaw said. "If you own the land you can control the land and then do what you wish to the property."

Board of Finance Chairman Paul Pizzo was unable to be reached for comment.
To contact Matthew Engelhardt, call (860) 347-3331 ext. 211 or email mengelhardt@middletownpress.com

toyworx

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 02:46:46 PM »
If the town buys the land it's GAME OVER.

Offline The Navy Commander

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • Shaq City is the place to rock. Semper Fi diddy
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 09:46:42 PM »
Unfortunately, if the town doesn't purchase it...Mr Leavitt will probably sell it off to a developer and then
it's really all over....More side by side cookie-cutter housing....Anyone have a cool 3.6 mill hanging around?
Superwinch EPi 9.0 Detours Custom Bumpers/Dropkicks, 3.5" RE Superflex Lift, 1" Daystar Body Lift, 15" Cragar Street Lock D, 33" Dick Cepek Crushers,
Solid Axle Diff Covers, Jeep Medic Belly Up Transmission/Engine Skid Plate Combo, Other Kirby+Skid Row stuff

Blessed are those who, in the face of death, concern themselves only with the front sight post...

Online Gorilla_Skater

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 07:52:29 AM »
If I win the $200M+ Powerball this Saturday, Powder Ridge will be the first thing that I buy.  :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes:
1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0L V10 Tow Rig

1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 70 4D4P7 70 CH4NG3 ~573PH3N H4WK1NG

Offline MasterDrazhar

• Honorary Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 'F' with me? I'll STAB YA!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 09:01:36 AM »
If I win the $200M+ Powerball this Saturday, Powder Ridge will be the first thing that I buy.  :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes:

You and me both!  Good Luck...  Though yer not gonna need it, Cuz I'M GOING TO WIN!!!

Profile for Team_Oscar

Quote from: Sweet Cheeks Bitty
Nasty and ill-tempered?  I'll show you nasty and ill-tempered you old pinworm...

Quote from: Theo Maassen
Optimists are badly informed Pessimists.[/quote

/dev/null

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 03:47:37 PM »
More.....

Powder Ridge deal in 'make or break' stage
http://middletownpress.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17063822&BRD=1645&PAG=461&dept_id=10856&rfi=6

By: Matthew Engelhardt
08/17/2006

MIDDLEFIELD - The agreement to purchase Powder Ridge is approaching the "make or break" stage, according to the owner and members of the Board of Selectmen (BOS).
The parties have been waiting for the Board of Finance (BOF) to agree to the terms of the $3.6 million deal for the town of Middlefield to acquire the Powder Ridge land. An agreement was struck last month between owner Ken Leavitt and the BOS, but they cannot proceed without approval from the BOF.
In a statement released last week, the BOF asked for patience as the members consider the wide range of issues associated with the purchase. On Wednesday, Vice Chair Ellen Waff stressed that more time is needed for the good of the town.
However, both Leavitt and the BOS are pushing for a decision to be reached soon, potentially by Thursday night. All will attend the scheduled BOF meeting to be held in the Community Center at 7 p.m.
Leavitt sent a letter to each member of the BOF outlining the long process of this sale and the need for a quick decision. In an interview, he said that he needs a decision soon in order to decide whether or not the ski area will be able to open for the upcoming winter.
"So far we are on schedule to open, but a lot of things need to happen," Leavitt said.
Powder Ridge has hired and trained staff in preparation for the season. Leases are still in place for the equipment, and Leavitt has promised improved snowmaking abilities should the resort open.
However, both the BOS and Leavitt are growing more concerned that the time for a decision has come. If the BOF continues to delay or rejects the deal, Leavitt said the town could expect to see houses built on the slopes where the ski area once stood.
"We will not open, and we will liquidate equipment," Leavitt said. "The 48th season would not happen, and the resort would be well on its way to a different use."
Leavitt added that he did not mean for that statement to sound like an ultimatum. Past season-pass holders have been pressuring him for a decision, and he would like to be able to give them an answer about being able to ski in Middlefield.
First Selectman Jon Brayshaw hopes that the BOF will use next week as a chance to review the deal. He would like a decision to be reached so the town can move to a public hearing. Following a waiting period of at least 30 days, the sale would go to a town-wide referendum.
"Mr. Leavitt deserves an answer of yes or no, and the people of Middlefield deserve a chance to vote," said Selectman David Lowry. "As far as I am concerned, the town of Middlefield sinks or swims together."
According to Brayshaw, the Thursday meeting will be critical in determining the future of Powder Ridge. He compared the acquisition to a decision by the town to purchase the Strickland property almost 30 years ago. At the time, the price of over $450,000 seemed huge, but in retrospect, it was one of the "defining moments in Middlefield's history."
Brayshaw said the Powder Ridge deal was a bargain in comparison and would be another defining moment for the town.
"We're coming up to a point where our actions are going to affect whether the place stays open or not." Brayshaw said.
There is some concern that the BOF will not have the necessary quorum to conduct the meeting. Chairman Paul Pizzo will not be in attendance as the result of his daughter's wedding, and other members may not be there for various reasons.
According to Waff, the position of the BOF has not changed despite the mounting pressure. The board requested another appraisal be conducted on the property, which has yet to be completed. Additionally, a title search needs to be performed to determine whether any liens will need to be addressed before a sale.
"This is not the kind of deal that one rushes into, not at all," Waff said.
Despite the tension, Brayshaw and Leavitt are both confident that the deal will be completed. According to Leavitt, the negotiations have been conducted with the best interests of all parties involved.
"It seems to me that everyone has spent too much time to see this go to waste," Leavitt said.
Brayshaw said he was both optimistic yet anxious to see a decision and hopes the BOF will move forward with the purchase.
"This is what defines us as a town and as a people: what we value," he said.

To contact Matthew Engelhardt, call (860) 347-3331 ext. 211 or email mengelhardt@middletownpress.com.

Online Gorilla_Skater

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 03:01:57 PM »
Not sure what the latest is on the buy, but Powder Ridge updated their website saying that they will have 2006/2007 Season Tix on sale... Hmmm...

http://www.powderridgect.com/
1993 YJ  6" lift on 35" Goodyear MTR's, 8.8 rear w/ Spartan, Dana 30 w/ Lockrite & 4.10's

cjjulie

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2006, 07:00:44 AM »
Powder Puff has been trying to sell/change use for years and each year they come back for just 1 more  :rolleyes:

Online Gorilla_Skater

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 03:05:00 PM »
Looks like it will be sold. We first saw the website, then received a letter from them advertising Season Passes. Now the website says that they will not open...   :swear_mad:

"We are sorry to announce that Powder Ridge will not be opening this year as originally expected, pending sale of the area.

Those that have recently ordered season passes should be advised that their orders have not been processed to their credit cards.

You have not been charged.

Thank you for your support of the area and we apologize for the inconvenience."

Offline RobTJ

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 03:43:25 PM »
That sucks!   Powder Ridge had a pretty decent snowboard park.... when they had snow... :rolleyes:

And it was close
"We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About..."
1999 "Chili Pepper Red" TJ; Clayton 3-Link; 35s; D30 with Eaton E-Locker; D44 Fully Spooled; 4.88s
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab w/6.4L "Yeah,  it's got a Hemi!"

Offline cjshloman

• NEJEEP Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • Wanna see my totem pole?
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 06:22:18 PM »
That does suck, been going there for years.........since end of jr high......was a great place to board, and night ski.   Im bummed.
My girlfriend can't fight, but you should see her box.....

'98 TJ, 3" BDS, 33" TSL Swamper's, lite body armour, plow.......stay tuned...Bull is coming back to the wheeling scene BITCHES!!!!

Online Gorilla_Skater

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2006, 06:45:23 PM »
Definitely bummed. Last season Geoff went at least twice per week. Friday night was becoming a tradition.

Online Gorilla_Skater

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 09:08:27 AM »
Rey have you guys tried Southington for local nights? I haven't gone snowboarding in two years, but, I'm gonna get the little one into it soon.

Ski Sundown is my favorite CT spot.

Good idea, start him early! We haven't been to Mount Southington. The Ridge was closer and you could get season passes for $199! Sounthington is the next closest so that may be the new hang out, but Season passes start at $399  :cry:.

Never been to Sundown either. I should, because my brother in-law lives in New Hartford.

Mount Southington... Sounds like a Meet and Greet brewing  :grinyes:

Online Gorilla_Skater

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 02:29:22 PM »
I figured I would resurrect this old thread based on some recent news:

Middlefield Town Buys Powder Ridge Ski Area

Jan 20, 2009 Roger Leo, Associate Editor     Comments (0)

Scenes from years gone by at Powder Ridge. Scenes from years gone by at Powder Ridge.

The town of Middlefield, Conn., has closed on a deal to buy Powder Ridge Ski Area for $2.55 million.

The area last operated during the winter of 2005-06.

The town of Middlefield and Robert Switzgable, owner of Ski Sundown, had hoped to buy Powder Ridge, reopen the ski area and preserve surrounding land as open space.

Middlefield Holdings outbid them at an auction June 21, 2008, held after a long involuntary bankruptcy proceeding begun by unsecured creditors of Whitewater Mountain Resorts and principal owner Ken Leavitt.

The Middlefield Press reported the town is in discussions with several potential operators, and that Middlefield hopes to lease the ski area while retaining development rights to the rest of the land involved in the deal.

Switzgable is widely respected for his operation of Ski Sundown and, among local skiers, appears to be the popular choice to run Powder Ridge. Whether that happens remains to be seen.

Middlefield officials have said they have no interest in having the town run the ski area.

Online Gorilla_Skater

• Board of Directors
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 02:16:48 PM »
Latest News, the town has a couple of bidders for Powder Ridge and "hope" that there will be some winter activity this season...

Single bid greets Powder Ridge ad hoc committee

By Sue VanDerzee
Posted Thursday, July 9, 2009 - 9:50am
Topic Tags: in Local
At a meeting on Tuesday, July 8, members of the ad hoc committee on Powder Ridge were greeted with a single bid for the 115+/- acres of Powder Ridge ski area property they wish to sell or lease. The proposal was prepared by CDF and Associates LLC of Windham, NY and Snow Time Inc. of York, PA. However, an apparent UPS snafu held up a second bid ? by Alpine Associates, a corporation with membership in Pennsylvania, Utah and New Zealand ? and the group voted to invoke a clause in their Request For Qualifications/Bid Proposal (RFQ/BP) to allow the second bid to be considered.

The committee spent most of Tuesday evening in executive session, discussing the CDF-Snow Time proposal based on a previously-developed selection rubric which includes assessing the Management Team, Business Plan, Financial Strength and Responsiveness to the Town and to the RFQ/BP.

According to Dave Lowry, ad hoc committee chair and a member of the Board of Selectmen, the next meeting, on Tuesday, July 15, will hopefully involve consideration of the second bid and interviewing of principals from CDF-Snow Time.

That meeting will also be conducted in executive session since sale or lease of property is one of the few instances in which deliberations of a government body do not have to be public. Any votes taken, however, must be taken in public, which is why the committee came out of executive session on July 8 to vote to allow the second bid to be considered because its late arrival seemed to be based on a UPS error rather than on an applicant error.

If a successful bidder is found to buy or lease the ski area property, it is the hope of the committee that some sort of winter activity can be supported this year.

The full RFQ/BP can be found on the Midstate Regional Planning website ? www.midstaterpa.org. The document includes maps and detailed descriptions of the property, which includes a pond, an Olympic-sized swimming pool, about 30,000 square feet in four main buildings, a vertical drop of 500 feet, nine ski trails, four chair lifts and three rope tows. Parking has been approved for 1,400 cars and 20 buses and a water diversion permit is in place to allow water from Lake Beseck to be pumped up to the ski area and used for snowmaking.

Committee members realize, however, that the condition of the premises is such that investment in infrastructure will be considerable for any successful bidder.

In other business at the July 8 meeting, committee member Marianne Corona reported that member Seb Aresco had asked her to report that he was sending a letter of resignation to the committee, and Corona also brought forward bonding figures for consideration at such time as negoatiations warrant.

How important is it for Middlefield to find a lessee/buyer for Powder Ridge this summer?
Powder Ridge